Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Everything about your post is wrong and not real life.

^ Lol. The naïveté of this is dripping.

^ Oh yes it does. In this environment, I would not throw out flirty anything and you are a fool if you do. Flirt? Dude...its out of control.

You don't say either. Both are a minefield.

I'm not sure what do you mean not real life, particularly the drinking part.

Is it your position that people in white collar office jobs regularly drink while working? And that is condoned and allowed by the employer? Don't be ridiculous.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I'm not sure what do you mean not real life, particularly the drinking part.

Is it your position that people in white collar office jobs regularly drink while working? And that is condoned and allowed by the employer? Don't be ridiculous.

I am not being ridiculous at all. They all drink. ALL of them. Google, Apple, Facebook, MS...don't even think about startups. Lots and lots of companies (at least in the tech and gaming space).

What you don't do is get smashed at work.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I am not being ridiculous at all. They all drink. ALL of them. Google, Apple, Facebook, MS...don't even think about startups. Lots and lots of companies (at least in the tech and gaming space).

What you don't do is get smashed at work.
I only worked on 10 companies in my lifetime as a white collar employee. I never seen drinking at work. I'm calling BS in the "all of them drink at work"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I only worked on 10 companies in my lifetime as a white collar employee. I never seen drinking at work. I'm calling BS in the "all of them drink at work"
I have a relative that works at a place where the boss is a japanese guy that brings a keg in for his employees every friday. Some places are definitely cool with the drinking, but you aren't sposed to drink until the afternoon.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

The last 4 companies that offered me jobs were either start-ups on investor funding or private companies that were a few years out of the start up window.

Every single one of them touted the fact that they closed down around 3PM every Friday to start the office funded happy hour.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The last 4 companies that offered me jobs were either start-ups on investor funding or private companies that were a few years out of the start up window.

Every single one of them touted the fact that they closed down around 3PM every Friday to start the office funded happy hour.
There is a key word over there in that sentence ...."closed"

• 3Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do you think if one of my customers called me at 4PM on a Friday that I'm just not going to answer because the office is closed?
They can call you at 9 PM on a Saturday and you will probably still answer it.

The point is that serious companies do not have an open door drinking policy. Why because it exposes them to litigation. Having an open drinking company is what brogramers companies do, and it never ends well, as Blizzard is finding out the hard way.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They can call you at 9 PM on a Saturday and you will probably still answer it.

The point is that serious companies do not have an open door drinking policy. Why because it exposes them to litigation. Having an open drinking company is what brogramers companies do, and it never ends well, as Blizzard is finding out the hard way.

JAB told Alex to stop promoting drinking on at least 2 occasions. Doesn't sound like an open drinking company to me.

Upper management intervened to stop it.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
There is a key word over there in that sentence ...."closed"

Lol no dude. You are wrong. Lots and lots of companies people drink during core business hours. I am talking beer or wine at lunch, or beer mid to late afternoon....I think your implying someone slamming shots at work and being non functional or having an obvious problem.

Riot built a freaking bar (which they use as a coffee bar due to liquor license, but I believe they finally got that and have draft avail). Apple hosts beer bashes, would have mid day wine and food for launches, etc....at Google we had open bar events. Fidelity Investments for gods sake would have liquor baskets...again, this is during business hours.

I don't know what circles you run in, but having Alcohol during a work day is definitely, definitely not taboo. Getting smashed at work, that is a different story.

My experience, the bigger the company the more they drink.

The point is that serious companies do not have an open door drinking policy.

I guess there are zero serious companies in Silicon Valley. Bottom line, alcohol is not what's killing Blizzard. Nor is Blizzard dying. Its changing culturally. Lots and lots of studios would trade places with Blizzards portfolio and financial status right now. They are still highly successful. That said, you WILL see lay offs as their numbers wane because they have a bloated staff.

To reiterate, Blizzard is changing culturally as we as a society are changing culturally. Period. There is nothing happening at Blizzard that is not happening at a million other companies. This is not unique, new, or different.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Riot built a freaking bar. Apple hosts beer bashes....at Google we had open bar events. Fidelity Investments for gods sake would have liquor baskets...again, this is during business hours.

And all Furor got was a grill and some steaks. Those Activision balance sheets hit.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
This is so wrong it is laughable. Blizzard is collapsing for the same reason that any small, agile company with an innovative product that gets swallowed by a gigantic multinational does; bureaucracy and the need to self-perpetuate. Briefly, the small company is purchased because it is doing things that cannot be done in large corporations because they are afraid to innovate and risk the marginal rewards or success when the downside to failure is monumental. Once the bigger company subsumes the smaller one it leeches all of that innovation for short term gains but cannot continue the cycle because the innovativeness and agility of the small company is now subject to the red tape and consistent profit demands that made the large company so inflexible in the first place. Once those short term gains become expected quarterly results the now even bigger company needs to find a new small company to target for innovation because it needs short term gains and cannot produce them by itself because it takes too long and is too risky. Hakuna Matata.

Also telling someone "their ass looks great on those shorts" is retarded. You tell them instead "those shorts were a good fashion choice".
How is signaling to them that you're homosexual going to get her to suck your dick in the copy room?

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I guess there are zero serious companies in Silicon Valley. Bottom line, alcohol is not what's killing Blizzard. Nor is Blizzard dying. Its changing culturally. Lots and lots of studios would trade places with Blizzards portfolio and financial status right now. They are still highly successful. That said, you WILL see lay offs as their numbers wane because they have a bloated staff.

To reiterate, Blizzard is changing culturally as we as a society are changing culturally. Period. There is nothing happening at Blizzard that is not happening at a million other companies. This is not unique, new, or different.
Blizzard the independent fan beloved quality gaming company is dead. There will not be another Blizzcon.

It had cancer since Cataclysm and died in Battle for Azeroth. Even the most hardened sunk cost fallacy YouTubers can saw the corpse in the 9.0 content drought.

9.1 and the lawsuit just mutilated the corpse, the WoW to FF14 exodus started the the end of 9.0, Overwatch was already dead, Starcraft was already dead, Diablo is years away from maybe being OK.

Blizzard the corporate subsidiary generating revenue from upselling a dwindling playerbase on nostalgia is alive and well, it will be for some time.

So when you say "Blizzard is not dying" you don't actually understand what we mean by that, you are arguing a different point.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Ahhh Georgeson. I knew that guy seemed like a massive shyster but I still bought into Landmark anyway. Might as well had set that 100 bucks on fire but ah well.

Funny I recently watched your interview with Shawn and thought you were way more respectful about Dave than I would have been. Dude singlehandedly destroyed any future EQ games.

I think I was pretty clear in my 1st interview that he was someone I'd NEVER work with again, like ever. It was very telling (and validating) that Shawn had a similar experience with him almost 20 years earlier. His ultimate goal was not to make a great game, it was to cement his legacy, and be praised as a 'Game God' like Carmack, McQuaid, Koster, Garriott, and others were years before.

I don't agree that he destroyed any change of a new EQ game, but you're going to need a studio to actually want to put up the cash to make a serious effort if you want one. Half-ass an EQ game, and you'll get crucified.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yes, tech startups aren't your usual corporate scene. I worked at Zynga when they were still a startup, back in like 09? The two primary unlimited free beverages in every break room fridge were beer and red bull. More like to run into someone who's been chugging red bull all day, then even slightly drunk. Of course, part of the reason was probably that most people in SF are beer snobs, and it was some cheap shit, Stella? or something.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My wife worked at a fintech startup in Atlanta and they had an open bar all day every day. Of course, that place was a dumpster fire of venture capital money and seven years later they still haven't IPO'd or made a product that works.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Lol no dude. You are wrong. Lots and lots of companies people drink during core business hours. I am talking beer or wine at lunch, or beer mid to late afternoon....I think your implying someone slamming shots at work and being non functional or having an obvious problem.

Riot built a freaking bar (which they use as a coffee bar due to liquor license, but I believe they finally got that and have draft avail). Apple hosts beer bashes, would have mid day wine and food for launches, etc....at Google we had open bar events. Fidelity Investments for gods sake would have liquor baskets...again, this is during business hours.

I don't know what circles you run in, but having Alcohol during a work day is definitely, definitely not taboo. Getting smashed at work, that is a different story.

My experience, the bigger the company the more they drink.

everything woke turns to shit.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I work in a company with over 1000 employees. There's hard liquor on peoples desks openly and a literal kegerator in the break area.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Lol, I work on an actual indian reservation that's dry. If someone even thinks they smell alcohol on you they test and you're fired on the spot if it's positive. Sucks because there's a place just of rez we go to that has a lunch deal that includes 2 free drinks >_<

No place I've ever worked would have ever tolerated booze though so... Can't really understand how this could be a super common thing. Maybe just a geographic thing \shrug