Blood Bowl

Gusgus_sl

shitlord
Don't want to keep posting about this in the deals thread. It is on sale for $4.99 on the Steam store.

What teams do some of you play. What tips/advice can you give newer players?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Play Classic Turn Based mode, it's what 99% of the online community plays. Blitz and Real Time mode are poorly balanced trash.

I made videos to help with the learning curve, because literally for like a week while playing the game I'd go "Oh, I wish I had known that" and restart my team.

Ignore the part in the video where I picked Blitz mode. Everything else is fine, and it's got a lot of annotations to help you understand what's going on as the game progresses.

I've got 600+ hours into Blood Bowl. It's a fantastic game, but it's definitely not for everyone. RTFM --http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.aWM(and don't get all worked up about the manual being huge...it's just like a player's handbook for D&D. 75% of the information is just that...information on stats and teams and shit.

The forum run by the game company has shitloads of rosters and tactics and shit on there --http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/BB Tactics is great too, though a little outdated, and there's less of a community there --http://bbtactics.com/

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Holy shit, nice work. I picked this up last night and it has been a rape fest. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I still think any wins I am getting is just luck.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
After re-watching that video, I would like to say that it is in no way indicative of my actual skill now. Holy shit what a difference 400 hours makes
smile.png

Pulling conversation from Steam Thread --

Chaos Dwarves are fucking monsters. Only team that I couldn't run the score up against with my High Elves.
When you've got this guy carrying the ball, there's no stopping them.

rrr_img_5055.jpg

Blitz on a kickoff? This guy is scoring. Failed to pick up the ball? This guy is scoring.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I am Hatorade in Auld League. Started a new team, win first game 1 to 0 was pretty epic.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
High Elf or Dark Elf for a beginner? I tried vampire first last night and they seem like more trouble then they are worth. The needing to feed shit screwed me multiple times heh.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't do Dark Elf. Do either High Elf or Wood Elf as a beginner. High Elves are the best passing team. Wood Elves are squishier than High Elves, but their catchers are even faster (9 movement) and they have wider roster options that the High Elves lack in the form of Wardancers and Treants. If you want a more bruising team, I'd go with either Dwarves or Orcs. Dwarves are tough as nails, but not a very versatile roster and they are slow. Orcs are mean, and they give you some versatility in the form of goblins and trolls.

*edit* Holy shit @ that Centaur. You would have laughed to see my star thrower though. My level-ups on him were +1 agi, accurate, strong arm, leader, and nerves of steel. Going to a catcher with +1 agi, nerves of steel, diving catch, dodge, and sure feet. Let's not forget my scrappy little dauntless blitzers!!!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
High Elves are okay for a beginner. You need to learn where to pick your fights though, because with pretty average armor, you're not gonna win a lot of fights. It's real easy to get behind on numbers quick if you take a few unlucky rolls. Dark Elf are kind of the professional grade elves. Much bashier, less mobile, a lot more tactics oriented of all the elves.

Humans are actually not a terrible choice for first, just don't load up on catchers, they're the weak spots on the team. I recommend Orcs to start with. They're moderate speed, can pass if they have to, great strength. Ignore the goblins, and skip the troll until much later. You'll get a good feel for how skills all interact playing orcs or humans. Dwarves are kind of a one trick pony...mass smash. They're pretty piss poor at everything else. They're more forgiving of errors at the start, but you'll miss out on learning a lot of the good practices that you should learn, because they're so reliable in their blocking.

And yes, Vampires/Goblin/Underworld/Halflings/Ogre are the teams you play when you think you're hot shit or don't care if you're gonna lose a lot.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Playing dwarves can help you learn good positioning though. Since their movement is so low overall, you have to have good positioning so you don't get burned by the faster teams.

Played Chaos League way back when so I picked this up and will give it a go. The links above are worth clicking, and the official forums have guide finders so you can read up on some of the more common strategies for each team.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I haven't played in a while, but I started off with and almost exclusively played the lizard men. They have a nasty running game. Once you get some ball handling skills on their runners it's pretty easy to run the ball from one end of the field to the other in a single turn. Of course, a team like the dwarfs with good positioning can really fuck you up.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
+ for Dwarves while they lack movement they all come with "block" for the most part which is key to keeping your turn rolling.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
+ for Dwarves while they lack movement they all come with "block" for the most part which is key to keeping your turn rolling.
That's true, but like I said, block + tackle gets you into bad habits because it's so safe. For example, the basic strategy with dwarves is just to get mass guard, and then clump together to win the bash war, by putting every player in base contact with another player...forcing them to dodge away or make a risky block. As dwarfs raise in TV, this is no longer a viable strategy, because 1700 TV Dwarfs will get absolutely destroyed by 1700 TV Chaos or Nurgle with Claw if they play with that strategy (which has been winning them 1-0 games their entire career).

Dwarf is a great team for noobs, but if you decide to start with them, understand that you're gonna need to branch out and do other things relatively early in your career or your play will suffer quite a bit as a result. 1000TV dwarf is pretty safe, but it's a completely different game than 1000 TV anything else, and also a completely different game than 1700 TV dwarf.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Picked up this game awhie back on a sale, just now getting to it. Im running through the tutorial, and man, tons of shit to learn. Looks good so far though!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Picked up this game awhie back on a sale, just now getting to it. Im running through the tutorial, and man, tons of shit to learn. Looks good so far though!
It is, and unfortunately, the in game tutorial is fucking terrible, so feel free to browse the BB site or ask here. There's way more traffic here than there, so I'll probably respond faster here, although you'll get a lot more different opinions from excellent coaches over there.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Is the single player campaign any good? Any tips for the settings of the campaign?

I played the legendary edition for nearly 40 hours, but I just did different single player modes and tried a bunch of different teams. I don't feel like I ever learned all of the do's and don'ts except skills on the field.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, the AI isn't very difficult on any setting, but a campaign is a great way to learn the game and how your team plays against various opponents.