Bloodborne

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is this game as hard and trial-and-error as Souls?
It's.... different... alot easier over all, but more punishing for errors at the same time... if you get the gist.

It seems easier overall to me (after all wife is actually not getting frustrated by it, and her frustration level could never handle Dark/Demons) but it's even the weakest enemies will rape you if you goof up thusfar. And I'm still quite early.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is this game as hard and trial-and-error as Souls?
I thought the first area was a cake walk if you're patient. I one-shot the first boss, died once on the second. After the first 'stage' of the game it gets much rougher.

The big difference to me is that there are less silly falling deaths in Bloodborne vs. Souls series.

The Forbidden Forrest and it's boss will humble you...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Heh, and I thought the DS games were atmospheric. This setting is fucking awesome. And the sound, hah. With headphones it sounds like there's a goddamn army of batshit crazy behind those walls. Loved the "tutorial" fight - perfect set up for a Souls game.

As I expected my slop shield style from DS is a no-go here. You can bait attacks like before and take advantage of the gun stagger, but it's like facing a baseball pitcher who can throw 100mph with a 60mph changeup. Like attacks with a long windup that you can't stagger, but a fast as fuck swing (probably meant to outright dodge these rather than parry - I think the goofy tracking from DS2 is toned down) For some reason, I'm reminded of fighting Super Macho Man with all the fake-out timing.

None of this is really a problem on weak guys that cancel whenever you hit them, but it's a whole different world against enemies like that (optional) fat fuck with 20 different moves (and I'm guessing on the low side, I swear) He reminds me of those "fuck it, I'll use magic" mace knights around the ancient dragon area with his horseshit move set. I stamina starve myself hopping around or shoot too early and its lights out. (will range consumable cheese him later)

Oh well, I managed to tear myself away after an hour and go the fuck to bed so I didn't even hit the first boss. I mostly goofed around trying to figure out parry timings. (tip #1: the pistol was probably a mistake, since the blunderbuss spread can stagger/cancel things you don't have focused)

So, uh, time to research SSD's for the PS4. Of all the places to cut corners, they used a 5400 RPM HD, are you fucking kidding me?

Also, you still can't compare items on vendor to what you're wearing? Grumble. No encumbrance seems to take a large factor away from the game, but I appreciate the reduced stats so you never seem to be throwing points away just to reach a breakpoint like +1 spell slots.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I believe that the PS4 uses a SATA II bus. You may be better off for price/GB and performance to go with an SSHD rather than an SSD so you get more space.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Finding the gun sweet spot for parries/stuns on most enemies makes life a lot easier. You can even do it to the 2nd boss, which is a real bitch if you just try to dodge and melee.

Anyone know what badges do? I have two now and my assumption is that they unlock items for purchase in the Dream, because a bunch of weapons unlocked seemingly after I got the 2nd one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah fuck Father Gascoigne with a rusty saw. Guy gets down to 10% health and just goes nuts. Forget patterns or dodging.

If you look at the lore for the Saw Hunter Badge it says something like "certain things can only be bought by a hunter in possession of this badge." So I agree with you, think it is used to unlock items.

Vaclav

Holy shit... apparently I've been just wandering past the first boss forever...
didn't look like a boss area at all

He wasn't too bad, got him first try - but are his HP really that ridiculous or was the ~50/hit I was doing with everything available to me a sign I wasn't hitting a weakness? Felt more like one of the Old Souls from DS2 in the duration of the fight than it did a first boss.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've got a SSD, If it's helping with load times it's not by much. Still long as fuck
The system can barely push SATA II throughput speeds, so I'm honestly not surprised at all. 5400 RPM is pretty laughable as a stock drive though, even 7200 would be way better.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played it for about 45 mins last night before bed, this is my first experience with a soul game...Ouch.
smile.png

It was late and I needed to go to bed, so I was more interested in seeing the game and how it worked than really paying attention to the details of combat, so I got my ass handed to me a few times.

The setting and atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Looking forward to playing some more tonight and getting a better feel for the combat.
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I only have one question. Avoided spoilers this long.

Does the screen still say YOU DIED when you die?

headspace

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good lord, I am impressed so far. I have always been a fan of the Soloman Kane setting and weaponry (dual wielding a pistol and sword). This is the first game that pulls off that style of combat in a way that is satisfying.

rrr_img_93534.jpg

Vaclav

I only have one question. Avoided spoilers this long.

Does the screen still say YOU DIED when you die?
Yes, many of the other similar screen messages are tweaked though. "Foe Vanquished" for example for a boss kill.

Column_sl

shitlord
The system can barely push SATA II throughput speeds, so I'm honestly not surprised at all. 5400 RPM is pretty laughable as a stock drive though, even 7200 would be way better.
FYI from experience running a 7200 travel star ( the highest recommended 7200 on all boards) I would not get one of those for your ps3 or ps4.

The amount of heat they generate is no joke