Bloodborne

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Stop watching videos. Practice your gun parries on easy enemies until you get the hang of it. Enjoy the game, playing blind is the best part.
I can tell you right now playing blind is not the best part. Maybe it is if you already had a foundation by having played the souls games. I have not played any of those and there is very little (almost none) guidance on combat within the game itself. I don't mind difficulty, but when the difficulty comes almost entirely from my lack of knowledge on how a core system works I need to figure out how that core system works to enjoy the game.

You say to practice gun parries. I didn't even know how to gun parry until I watched the videos nor did I know what a visceral attack even looked like.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well technically viscreals/gun parries are pretty new. There was a parry mechanic in Dark Souls but it's obviously not tied to guns since there's no gun, and ranged weapons can't parry, it's just traditional game parry. Shit makes a lot more sense too because it uses the same button as blocking with a shield, and can be done either with parrying shields or a weapon, so it kinda like a natural concept. On the other hand Bloodborne stuff makes no sense whatsoever unless you know about it. Might be written somewhere in the super short tutorial though, maybe? I forgot.

Do watch mechanics videos, weapon comparison and shit like that. Just don't watch a walkthrough, since that ruins the exploration and discovery aspect of the game, I think that's more what he meant. I mean you can play without checking mechanics too, but I know I tend to always read up the wiki shit on the games when I start them, I want to know what the stats do exactly, how the upgrade systems work in each games and such stuff. Helps me plan my stuff from the start(although it's mostly dagger/rapier builds, love the fast hits).

Also the gun parries aren't really necessary. I think I only used it a few times the entire game, as I disliked how it was tied to non instant projectiles and all that shit, I liked parries a lot more in dark souls, even though they're like A LOT harder to time correctly.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Father Gascoigne was indeed very difficult for such an early boss (technically, he is the first boss). Definitely understand how to parry for him.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I beat Gascoigne on my first blind playthrough without using parry.

Would not recommend.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I definitely beat him without parry the first time, but I cheesed him behind some tombstones and had the long axe strong attack (spin to win).

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I don't consider using the environment to be cheesing unless it exploits quirky pathing. The devs didn't put Gascoigne in a grassy plain

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I agree don't watch videos. The beginning of the game is hard especially if you're new to the series, but after father rapist the game becomes a bit easier. The first two bosses are tough though.

You'll spoil some of the bosses if you watch them though. There are a few that just pop up and make you shit your pants.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well that first boss was incredibly easy. I mean sure it killed me when I didn't have any weapons but when I went back with my rusty saw axe I whooped his ass!
Borrowing Infamous Second Son and the Uncharted collection from my father so when I'm done with those I'll dive into BB and properly get my ass kicked. I haven't had this much anticipation for playing a new game in years I'd say.

Fedor

<Banned>
Well that first boss was incredibly easy.I mean sure it killed me when I didn't have any weapons but when I went back with my rusty saw axe I whooped his ass!
You got all the way to the Cleric Beast (passing 100+ enemies) without dying a single time and getting your starter weapon?

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
It had HP at all?

I've only played for about 15 minutes so far.

That's a regular enemy haha
U7Ghu2sh.jpg

You guys seriously over thought that comment. lol

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It had HP at all?

I've only played for about 15 minutes so far.

U7Ghu2sh.jpg

You guys seriously over thought that comment. lol
I think it's the PTSD from how difficult the real first (and second) boss is.

Szlia

Pretty sure I killed the Cleric Beast on my first try (had played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before though). I believe I also (intentionally) gun parried only a single type of enemy through the whole game (the fat guys with bricks). I summoned helpers for a lot of the bosses though.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I got to the cleric beast once and got him to 25%. Every other time I get fucking ass fucked just trying to get to it. Can't really say I'm enjoying the game at all yet but I'll keep playing. I've been playing for at least 2 or 3 hours total now and I feel like I have made ZERO progress.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Once you get to the cleric beast you can start spending souls on leveling. Levels make a huge difference in player power. Go for endurance (HP) and whatever attunement your weapon of choice has for increased damage. I like having more stamina too, and if you're good at dodging it's probably more important than HP... but that could be a play style thing.

Bloodborne is a classic example of riding the emotional highs and lows. You feel fucking awesome when you conquer a challenging area and boss, but I put the game down and walked away several times out of frustration for bull shit deaths and failures. Maybe I'm masochistic, but those emotional swings are what I love about Bloodborne (and the Souls games).