Bloodborne

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And I thought Abhorrent Beast in a big circular room was difficult....same mob in a small, rectangle room? Fuck that.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So my kids between them managed to loss my disk, they are blaming the 1 year old but who knows. Trying to decided if I like the game that much to spend ?55 on it again.
Let this hopefully be the last time you ever buy a physical copy of a game.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Questions for some of you more advanced players out there....

Currently I'm doing NG+, finishing up some achievements (I missed a few of the weapons the first time through, and I have to complete the Chalice achievements still). The weapons achievement should be a non-issue, the Chalice one is obviously more challenging.

My character is at around 50/40/40/40 for Vitality/Endurance/Strength/Skill respectively. My Bloodtinge/Arcane is at 8/10. Obviously I went with a Str/Skill build to utilize both the Hunter's Axe and now mainly Ludwig's Holy Blade at +10.

Questions:

1) I plan on getting Strength and Skill to 50. Beyond that, how would you recommend leveling? Should I bring Bloodtinge to 40 to improve my gun weapon dmg? Should I bring Arcane to 40 to improve my main hand weapon and gain the ability to use the Hunter Tools (spells)? Or should I continue investing in Vitality/Str/Skill despite diminishing returns?

2) This ties into #1.....is there a weapon you would recommend using beyond Ludwig's? Specifically Blade of Mercy seems interesting...very fast, but it seems to have limited range. Burial Blade seems like it has good range, but I don't have it levelled enough to compare damage to Ludwig's. It would seem that if I go with Burial Blade (or most late game weapons for that matter), that I should level up Arcane? Is that correct?

3) What runes did you guys run with to finish the Chalice achievement? I'm running triple Moon currently just to farm up echoes, but when I do go ahead and finish off the Chalice runs (at Defiled Chalice, what a PITA), then I was planning on using the V. Attk +dmg and V. Attk +health runes. Do you guys recommend something else, like the +10% hp and/or stamina ones instead? Maybe others?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1. I can't really see raising arcane past 15 for a 'quality' build. EPS is all you really need (and that's only if you stick with a pure physical weapon). Bloodtinge is kind of meh; Evelyn does a ton of damage with high 'tinge, but you can already use the cannon for that. And personally I would stick to using weapons like Chikage with a dedicated skill/tinge build just like I would focus on str/arcane only in a Tonitrus build. If your level is high enough though, go nuts. Vit hits the soft cap at 30 but is still of some use to 50, kind of a waste beyond that point. End soft caps at 25 and I don't see any real need to go past that at all, especially if you use the rune.

2. Well, you have a quality build so Ludwig is pretty much always going to be the best weapon. No harm in trying out stuff like Beast Claw, Threaded Cane, Blade of Mercy, Burial Blade, etc. though. Don't worry about the arcane scaling on those weapons, arcane scales like absolute shit on every weapon with split damage except for Tonitrus. Other than that one weapon, you only need to pump arcane if you intend to use pure elemental damage, like a Ludwig or Saw Spear converted to bolt/fire with gems.

3. I use hp and end runes most of the time. Third one varies, sometimes one of the visceral ones, but usually I just run around with moon.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Questions for some of you more advanced players out there....

Currently I'm doing NG+, finishing up some achievements (I missed a few of the weapons the first time through, and I have to complete the Chalice achievements still). The weapons achievement should be a non-issue, the Chalice one is obviously more challenging.

My character is at around 50/40/40/40 for Vitality/Endurance/Strength/Skill respectively. My Bloodtinge/Arcane is at 8/10. Obviously I went with a Str/Skill build to utilize both the Hunter's Axe and now mainly Ludwig's Holy Blade at +10.

Questions:

1) I plan on getting Strength and Skill to 50. Beyond that, how would you recommend leveling? Should I bring Bloodtinge to 40 to improve my gun weapon dmg? Should I bring Arcane to 40 to improve my main hand weapon and gain the ability to use the Hunter Tools (spells)? Or should I continue investing in Vitality/Str/Skill despite diminishing returns?

2) This ties into #1.....is there a weapon you would recommend using beyond Ludwig's? Specifically Blade of Mercy seems interesting...very fast, but it seems to have limited range. Burial Blade seems like it has good range, but I don't have it levelled enough to compare damage to Ludwig's. It would seem that if I go with Burial Blade (or most late game weapons for that matter), that I should level up Arcane? Is that correct?

3) What runes did you guys run with to finish the Chalice achievement? I'm running triple Moon currently just to farm up echoes, but when I do go ahead and finish off the Chalice runs (at Defiled Chalice, what a PITA), then I was planning on using the V. Attk +dmg and V. Attk +health runes. Do you guys recommend something else, like the +10% hp and/or stamina ones instead? Maybe others?
Get arcane. Bloodtinge is trash. The hunter tools are solid (specifically the roar and arcane buff).
I use Ludwig and BoM. BoM stagger fucks mobs, especially in a corner.
Runes I use 1 hp rune, 4% all defenses, and +4 blood vials. Also, I use the executioners rune. The +100 to all resists rune isn't bad either.

spronk

FPS noob
1. strength builds are better than arcane/tinge builds for damage everyone seems to say, although its cool using some of the items that require high arcane for fun they are crap for bosses that are really hard. except for the cannon guns seem to be just stun/interrupt weapons so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to scale their damage. You can try to turn ludwig into an arcane damage weapon with the right gems (only weapon that is A on arcane I think) but I could never find a gem #2 that helped arcane/bolt, so I went all physical attack instead.

2. the two weapons that will situationally be better than ludwigs (which I used 90% of the time) are the 2h axe for chain stunning some bosses, and the cane/whip to kill some bosses with range attacks while staying out of melee range. i didn't find any of the other weapons that necessary or special, i thought twin blades was pretty crap damage. There are a few bosses where being able to correctly stun a boss (shoot with any gun really mid boss swing) and then do a visceral attack can be the difference between a 3 minute fight and a 15 minute fight, so I found for those the whip far, far, far superior than 2h ludwig. Only a few are like that though, most of the time I was rolling with 2h ludwig and never shot a bullet. I played with tonitis and beast claw but felt ludwigs was far better

3. there is one necessary chalice that debuffs your HP by 50% and bosses are all basically OHK's. for that I ran +5% hp, -4% dmg, and I think +4 health vials or a resist/dmg reduction rune. Some bosses are poison, some frenzy, some fire so you have to swap runes and gear out mid chalice runs a lot of times.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmm, looks like you're right. I was going off of something I saw on reddit right after I got the game and never really bothered to test it. Not really sure I need more than ~140 stamina though, but I guess it would free up that rune slot I've been using.

It softcaps at 40 (160 stamina) and then 41-99 only gets you 10 more. Poison resists from end softcap at 30.

Spoiler for size:
1427541128-bloodborne.png

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just got this in today. Lots of fun but man they really could of gone for some higher frame rates. Surprised I haven't seen more bitching about it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It really is only an issue in certain areas. Like the lecture hall with all those guys, attacking them brings the frame rate to a crawl. Other than those type of situations I don't really care. This was never a game that was going to wow you with its graphical prowess anyways

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man... Beat the one reborn in one shot today. The nightmare mensis was ridiculous to me, just a really hard area. Finally made it to micolash and I'm shitting my pants because I hadn't found a lamp. Well, as it turns out, micolash wanted to be the first boss to bug out for me. Phase 1 he literally just stands still. Phase 2 he just stands still and throws normal slow punches. I thought maybe the fight was going to get crazy but that was it.

So I need to restart the game now instead of suspend/resume? Will all bosses be bugged if I don't do this?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
So I need to restart the game now instead of suspend/resume? Will all bosses be bugged if I don't do this?
Yes, you will have to quit the game to fix the "bugged" bosses. There is a known issue where if you leave the game running for more than i think 21 hours, the bosses and even some mobs become easy mode.
I tested this in the Lecture hall, the students never do any spitting or throwing of that stuff, and no long arm reach, they just come out the door and smack the ground (making for super easy farming lol)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its very weird indeed. The students were working properly, and I got raped in the ass by the big dude there. Mensis was pretty nuts, so that was working, but as soon as i got to micolash it was just shit. I dont know how hard the skeles were supposed to be but they just stood still and swung.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
Started my first playthrough this past weekend, was planning a skill build but is STR/SKL the best pure physical build to go with for NG+ viability? Better than just pure skill?

I've just been pumping VIT and END a so far aka with only a couple points in SKL and none in STR so I can go either way from here, i'm only level 32 or so, just finished first chalice dungeon.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I had the same thing happen with Micolash and I think he's the only boss to ever bug out on me like that. After I killed the puppet mobs he did one AOE attack and then nothing but spamming Augur of Ebrietas the rest of the time.

Started my first playthrough this past weekend, was planning a skill build but is STR/SKL the best pure physical build to go with for NG+ viability? Better than just pure skill?
Just pump str/skl evenly, you'll be fine.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Amazon just emailed to update me that the strategy guide will be here on Tuesday April 21st, so others may want to check on their orders and be on the lookout.