Board Games

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Must be, I guess. Cell phone pretty shitty this morning for some reason, but you get the idea.

And no, it didn't cost anywhere near 5k.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
damn, wish I would have kept my copy of hero quest and the two or three expansions I owned...

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
My asshole dad cleaned everything outta my room after he kicked me out. Fucking dickbag. That shit cost a lot of money to replace.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
I'm officially jealous as fuck.

I guess I was probably looking at more 'mint' copies of things, but like I think just the Elf Solo Exp. was like $750 by itself.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
The barbarian and elf packs were definitely more expensive, but I just trolled ebay for a couple months looking for auctions that didn't get run up. It was in the same time frame you were looking at shit too, I know I hadn't moved yet, and that was 3 years ago.

There's barbarian, elf, American witch lord and Kellars keep, then one Euro witch lord and 2 euro kellar's keep up there. And I have always liked to have the extra pieces (because kids lose everything), so I bought 2. I didn't bother with any of the euro only packs because they're not what I grew up with and I don't care (ogre pack? Something else, too, I don't remember).

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
When the actual CAH guys have it in stock, its $25. The other people selling it are resellers. The last few printings have sold out very fast though. If you follow them on twitter, the tend to tweet when its back in stock.
They'll also send you emails. The last two times it went in stock I was able to buy it even the next few days after I got the email. That said, now that I have the base game+both expansions+the holiday pack I'm looking for some kind of case to carry them all together. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Some good lightweight family/party games that even non-gamers could enjoy:

Wits and Wagers: Combines poker betting with trivia. You don't have to know the correct answer though, just guess who at the table was closest.

Bang!: Old-west card game where each player takes a the role of either Sheriff, Outlaw, Deputy, or Renegade. All roles are hidden except the Sheriff. Winning depends on your role: Sheriff and Deputy must kill all Outlaws and Renegade, Outlaws just have to kill the Sheriff, the Renegade must be last man standing.

Ticket To Ride: Goal is basically to build the longest train rails. Real simple rules but lots of strategy and player interaction.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I saw a "The Walking Dead" board game when I was out XMAS shopping. It raised me eyebrows. Itmighteven have hardcore PvP for you.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
If you like card games, an easy one that is tons of fun is Zombie Flux.

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-03.../dp/1929780664

2-6 players, quick 30 minute games. The conditions to winning the game change as you draw cards. Its a fun, goofy game. Description in spoilers:

Trying to describe gameplay is difficult since one of the fun elements of the game is that the winning conditions (Goal) are unknown before the game starts. Not only this, but the rules of the game change as New Rule cards are played.

To begin, each player is dealt three cards. If a player receives a Creeper card, zombies in this variant, the zombie is immediately laid down and another card drawn to replace it.

The Basic Rules card is laid down. That card tells the players to draw a card and play a card. Any one of the cards the player has in hand can be played. Those playable cards belong to one of four types:

GOAL cards, when played, will determine the winning conditions for the game. Playing a new Goal card will eliminate the previous goal (in most cases, depending on new rules currently in force). A special Ungoal card even makes it possible for the zombies to win and all the players lose.

KEEPER cards are used to satisfy the Goal card's winning conditions. For instance, if the Goal is to have the car and the shotgun Keeper cards and a player has played those cards, that player wins.

ACTION cards tell the player to perform a particular action, such as steal a Keeper from another player or discard a hand and draw a new one.

NEW RULE cards modify how the game is played. A rule might now be to draw three cards or to groan whenever a zombie is drawn. A rule of a particular type overrules a previously played rule of the same type, the older rule being discarded. Rules can stack up (though Action cards exist to remove rules).

The Creeper cards, zombies in this case, also have their own rules. The zombies come in singles, pairs, trios, and quartets.

The constant shifting of the rules and goals makes for insane game play. Add in the "anti-Keeper" Creeper cards and this version of Fluxx is even nuttier than the original.

PROS:

* No round of this game ever plays the same twice.

* Game length varies due to the combined effects of New Rule and Goal cards.

* Utterly unique gameplay makes the game fresh for seasoned card players.

* The frantic nature of play with changing rules and goals makes for some real nailbiting.

* One of the best games out there for severely sticking it to other players.

* The humorous illustrations on the cards and the sheer inanity of some of the goals, rules, and actions keeps people laughing--or groaning.

* Fluxx expansion packs will work with Zombie Fluxx, too. (Though Zombie Fluxx has color illustrations on the card fronts, while the other Fluxx card images are B&W line drawings.

* Simple enough for kids ages 8 and up.

* Dude, it's got zombies!

CONS:

* Though definite strategies exist to play for a winning hand, they are all too easily undone by some of the Action cards and Goal changes, making the game a little too random for some players.

* The cards, though sturdy, could still use a linen finish (although this would make them look different from older expansion pack sets.)

* Should the rules pile up (more than five or six), people often forget to abide by all of them. This is especially true of younger players.

* Despite simple gameplay, the complexity of variations of rules, actions, and goals can bewilder players unfamiliar with the game (though repeated play will break them in quickly). Many of the cards have explanatory text that should be read to all players or else they will not follow what is going on, especially if unfamiliar with the game.

* Serious card players won't see the sense in a game like this.

Szlia

? just rememberedSpace Alertis a very short and very original game that is cooperative. I would say the drawback for a family setting would be that it's stressful, because it requires on the fly teamplay and good communication in a timed setting (the game is played at the set pace of a CD track and then you make a debriefing phase to see if things went bad or terribly bad). A mitigating factor is that players have no set task, so the less proficient player can simply be left responsible for simpler tasks (which add challenge for the good players). Also the game is pretty modular so you can modify both complexity and difficulty. There is also a scoring system, so you can log how "well" you fared in previous attempts.

Has anyone played the game Pandemic? I watched the Wil Wheaton Tabletop video and it looks pretty fun.
Yeah it is pretty decent as coop games go. There are lots of ways to tweak the difficulty and it doesn't take too long.

And yes, I agree Space Alert is hard. Especially if you have been drinking and/or smoking.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cool, I didn't realize Heroquest was worth anything. Didn't realize anyone else had heard of it either! I played it a lot as a kid, still have it and the expansions in my attic.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Also on Heroquest a few things:

There is a readily available Torrent with EVERYTHING heroquest available in PDF format to print out, and if you are creative enough, you can effectively have, well, everything Heroquest if you know what I mean.

Also, there is an exact replica of HQ available to play Online and multiplayer but it is in entirely German language. It works really good, and it's pretty cool. I got into it kinda-sorta but I didn't have anyone to play with so I didn't go too far with it, but it's out there.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about
rrr_img_4560.jpg

rrr_img_4560.jpg

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
They'll also send you emails. The last two times it went in stock I was able to buy it even the next few days after I got the email. That said, now that I have the base game+both expansions+the holiday pack I'm looking for some kind of case to carry them all together. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
I just use like a 500 count box that I got from my shop I play magic at. Works perfectly.

Meph_sl

shitlord
anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about
rrr_img_4560.jpg
I have the first edition version of that but have never played it. I would love to but everything I have read said its really no good until you get 4+ players and its a long game. Just don't have enough friends with enough interest to dedicate a whole evening to one game. I really looks like a great game though.

rrr_img_4560.jpg

Any recommendations that will work as a 2 player game with the wife? Neither of us have a history of playing these types of games, but want to give something a shot.