Board Games

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have the first edition version of that but have never played it. I would love to but everything I have read said its really no good until you get 4+ players and its a long game. Just don't have enough friends with enough interest to dedicate a whole evening to one game. I really looks like a great game though.
This is my problem, years back I tried using various dating sites to find like minded people to play some of the longer board games but all I got were either gross nerds or gross nerds looking for devil three ways.

Now my current friends are busy with a new born and military stuff.

So any houston area people up for some shorter games like munchkin 1-2 times a week? At least to start then once comfy move into games like descent etc. No homo.

I will second the Eclipse nod. Easily the best new designer board game I have played.
rrr_img_4862.jpg

Dominant Species is another favorite at my house:
rrr_img_4863.jpg

Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the Battlestar Galactica game, Smallworld, Arkham Horror, and most of the others mentioned. Over Christmas, we will be trying out the Locke and Key card game as well as Legendary, so I will repost and let you deck building fans know how they pan out.
rrr_img_4865.jpg

rrr_img_4864.jpg

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
This is my problem, years back I tried using various dating sites to find like minded people to play some of the longer board games but all I got were either gross nerds or gross nerds looking for devil three ways.

Now my current friends are busy with a new born and military stuff.

So any houston area people up for some shorter games like munchkin 1-2 times a week? At least to start then once comfy move into games like descent etc. No homo.
I tried stuff like that too before. There is a site specifically for finding people to play board games, it isn't boardgamegeek, but another one similar to a 'dating site'. I also tried craigslist and some others. I had a few people interested but I just didn't go through with it in the end, seemed still too creepy for me.

Canipso_sl

shitlord
I tried stuff like that too before. There is a site specifically for finding people to play board games, it isn't boardgamegeek, but another one similar to a 'dating site'. I also tried craigslist and some others. I had a few people interested but I just didn't go through with it in the end, seemed still too creepy for me.
Yeah I go to University of Houston and I have tried several Houston area board game groups through Meetup.com and similar group find sites. People are weird though, and I always feel incredibly uncomfortable at all these antisocial people getting together. A RL friend and I managed to cherry pick a good 4 man group that met up every Saturday for awhile.

I've got a decent board game collection but now just primarily play them when we visit family/in-laws.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I was just looking at meetup and the pictures aren't very inspiring. Then again Steve Jackson looks like those people and he is awesome to game with. May go if the rest of my friend aren't interested in something new.

Arakkis

N00b
anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about
rrr_img_4560.jpg
I was looking at it in the nerd store and it looked pretty interesting, but I ended up choosing Arkham Horror over it as a gift because I already knew that was a great game. Interested to hear from anyone who actually plays the game if it is any good.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about
rrr_img_4560.jpg
I think the second edition of the game fixed this, but in a five player game, it was very possible for lannister to be eliminated in the first turn if the game. Haven't played with 4 players before though, but the house that can kill lanister is unmanned in 4 player. But like I said, I think the second edition fixes this from what the developer told me when I talked to him at gen con.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I play Starfleet battles and Federation and Empire, both games that are on the high end of the complexity scale. Picture is Federation and Empire.

rrr_img_5220.jpg

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the Battlestar Galactica game, Smallworld, Arkham Horror, and most of the others mentioned. Over Christmas, we will be trying out the Locke and Key card game as well as Legendary, so I will repost and let you deck building fans know how they pan out.
rrr_img_4865.jpg

rrr_img_4864.jpg
Picked up Legendary a few weeks ago and my friends and I are hooked on it, have played it probably close to 2 dozen times since. Getting a little burnt out, but it's been fun and we'll try some of the inevitable fan variants to hold us over until the expansion comes in August.

It's a deck building game, which I'm usually less than thrilled about but am willing to at least try them.

We're about due to start playing some BSG again, been a while. Legendary is great for 4 players which is usually when we opt to not play BSG and go with Small World, Arkham Horror, or just not hang out at all, heh.

Thought Locke and Key was OK, wasn't a fan of the key effects, seems like a good game just not for me.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This won't be for everyone, but found both of these videos really interesting/entertaining.

First is a review/overview of Twilight Imperium, as a game plays out the players go into a diary room like you see on so many reality shows, and you have the host explaining things after the fact. Maybe I find it an extra bit entertaining because of the accents
tongue.png

Next is one of those guys talking about the current state/evolution of board games on a really small TV in a conference room. This one drug a little for me, but if you're interested in the topic it's interesting.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Got my roommate Descent 2E and his sister got him Frag. We usually only play Arkham and Cards Against Humanity so I'm curious to see how these work out. It seems like the Descent handbook is written a little bit better than the Arkham one so hopefully we can pick it up faster. Goddamn figuring out Arkham mechanics before we knew about the cheat sheets was a paper-cut inducing bitch. So much flipping through the rulebook.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I played a game of Spartacus for the first time last night and it was really fun, probably because the gladiator fights were awesome due to crappy/very good dice rolls. A+ will play it again.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Went to my local comic shop, saw this wall and almost dropped 200.00 bucks before I realized all these games are on amazon for 60-80% less. Makes me sad.
Bqnnl.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I have a local game shop with an owner who would much rather compete with online prices than lose sales. I'm sure it'd be the same for any sane intelligent owner. You should ask him, it's always nice to have the convenience of no shipping delay and such.