Board Games

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Everything together probably cost me a good $400-$500. Now that I have built it, I could probably cut about $100 bucks off the cost just by being more streamlined. The neoprene has a nylon fabric top to it, so cards slide over it well, but the rubber underside grips the table well and doesn't slide. I have a hard time calculating the costs because I had ZERO tools when I started this build. Ended up buying a miter saw, cordless circular saw and drill, kreg jig and clamp, a dovetail saw, a hand saw, screwdrivers, a dremel, and some other things I am forgetting. I also took a 2 day break to build a work bench to make life easier on myself.

Parts are Probably the following:
2''x3'' - 4 = $12
2''x4'' - 8 = $32
2''x6'' - 8 = $40
4'x8' Sheet of BC Playwood - $20
4'x8' Sheet of Thrifty White Panel Board - $15
Neoprene Surface - $65 + $25 Shipping
Professional to cut Neoprene - $15
Primer and Paint - $40
Glue and Caulk - $15
Screws - $10

All in all, cheaper than I thought, especially if I were to go back and do it all again, be more efficient and streamlined. I'd be willing to sell this one for the right price haha.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Actually in the same position (unless I'd build at Tony's, his woodshop is amazing, but no truck here, so.... getting it home would suck...)

Hmmm...

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't realize how much was being done w/ Tabletop Simulator.

Battlestar Galactica + Expansions:Steam Workshop :: Battlestar Galactica + All Expansions

Eldrich Horror + Expansions:Steam Workshop :: Eldritch horror + FL + MoM Expansions

Betrayal at House on the Hill:Steam Workshop :: Betrayal at House on the Hill

Legendary Encounters (Alien):Steam Workshop :: Legendary Encounters (HQ)

Dead of Winter:Steam Workshop :: Dead of Winter - OCD Edition

Lots of stuff, pretty neat. Of course you lose the ability to call someone out as a fucking traitor and a toaster to their face as you airlock them... and then lose a morale as you discover that, oops, they were human... but still.

Tabletop Simulator:Tabletop Simulator on Steam

Vaclav

That looks amazing Stevo - publishers haven't kicked people's asses over all the assets used though!?

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
A friend of mine got his copy of Kingdom Death: Monster and i thought i would post up his initial reactions. i have not had a chance to play it or examine the pieces myself.

I did a little campaign playing yesterday, doing a solo game to learn the rules and try things out. The settlement phases are... man, they're fine solo but it could be a whole thing with a group of people. It's like X-COM, where you have too many things to do with your resources and it's a choice between splurge for immediate power gains now, or invest in the future and risk not being able to handle your next hunt. Even if you decide to spend it all on new gear, there's SO much stuff to make! Getting a group to agree on how to spend the resources could be a challenge. Making it more complicated is that the affinity system means you get the most power out of combinations of items, which means there's a solid argument to give most of your shiny new gear to one person instead of spreading it around, so they can take advantage of the affinity bonuses. Or when you can only afford to make one new weapon, should that guy (who is now your best offensive force) also get the armor so he can actually stay alive to keep on doing damage? So many paths to take...

At one point the game suggests an option for hunt rewards is passing it out among the players like you're a DnD party collecting loot, and then people can share or trade as they see fit. That pushes the group into the spread-it-around path as everyone builds for themselves. I could see that being a viable way to play, if the group preferred it. Getting people to invest into the settlement would still take everyone being in agreement.

The fights are great, better than I thought they'd be, and with the way the AI deck works, one lion is much different from the last. My second hunt ended up with a lion very focused on mental attacks and counters, and I lost my first survivor who basically died of fright when the lion kept roaring at the team. The dude was barely hurt, physically, and it was a bit of a shocking death. All the counter-heavy moods the lion got into made the group use up 3 out of their 4 starting stone weapons because throwing them from afar was the only way to get through its defenses without getting someone really owned... though in hindsight, I could have used survival points instead, and maybe should have.

The only thing I'm not sure I like is the yearly settlement events. You draw one each time you return to the settlement, and for the most part they basically seem to be, "draw a card, kill a survivor." My first time back I drew a plague, and it just flat-out killed all 4 barely-experienced survivors I had (the lion only killed 1!). I decided losing 5 of my 10 population, and every experienced guy in the town, just from a card flip was stupid and was basically a campaign-wiping result anyway, so I just redid that one. But most of those events seem to kill someone, some of them specifically targeting your best guy, and the ones that don't outright kill someone will probably give permanent penalties instead. Losing people in fights is fine, but the settlement events kinda feel like an arbitrary leash to make sure you occasionally get screwed beyond all hope of success, to guarantee you don't win the campaign too easily. It's too random and too severe for my taste.

I also feel like the campaign might advance a little faster than I like, purposely rushing you forward into new things before you're able to handle them, and maybe getting a bit snowbally against you. It has X-COM's "time is of the essence" vibe, which is fine, it just might be a little too extreme. Fortunately, the game encourages using optional rules, even making up your own, to customize the campaign however your group wants. Inserting an extra free year after every 2nd or 3rd year in the timeline would be an easy fix for this one.

All in all, I'm loving it so far.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
he also posted a few pics of the backer kits and the components, so far i think im gonna regret not snagging this one.

http://imgur.com/a/jsF2l

Sorry for the sideways one, imgur swapped everything into landscape mode on me.

In order:
1) bakcers, lul.
2) The inside of the freebie backers box, so many unassembled minis.
3) The actual game minis box, the inside looks quite a bit like #2.
4) Many cardboard tokens.
5) The settlement/hunting board on top, and the monster's area for card piles during battles.
6) The battle board. It's actually pretty huge, noticeably bigger than I thought it'd be.
7) Settlement record sheets, character sheets, and the character gear grids to put your items during games. The gear grid has a turn reference on the left.
8) A close-up of half the settlement record sheet. It shows the campaign timeline, and the events that are triggered each year. A year is a full round of hunt a monster -> fight a monster -> manage the settlement. The butcher shows up as early as year 4
frown.png

9) A close-up of the gear grid turn reference section. You get 1 move and 1 action per turn (for each survivor), can do them in any order, but you can't act mid-move. Gear and terrain and events give you action options, and the icons tell you which type of action you have to spend to do the thing. If there's no icon, you can just do it whenever and as much as you want. For instance, an herb bush on a battle board is a terrain piece with a gathering action, so you can loot herbs mid-battle instead of punching the lion. Survival actions are the things you spend survival points on - at first all you get is Dodge, and you unlock the other options with settlement tech upgrades as the campaign goes on.
10) All the cards. Soooo many cards.
11) One of the settlement buildings, one of the first ones the game recommends you build. The top section is all the things it lets you craft during settlement phases. The bottom section, with the star icon, is a settlement action you can take. You have a limited number of settlement actions - one per survivor who returns alive after each hunt (so at most 4, but probably 3 or less). Crafting takes no actions, but creating new buildings, innovating new tech, or doing any of these special actions uses em up.
12) A sample of an event card, this is the first event card you play after defeating the first lion and creating your settlement. At any given time your settlement has a pool of unnamed survivors - as you take them out on hunts, you give them names and genders and character sheets, and they become actual people! If they survive, they keep the exp and skills and mental disorders and permanent injuries they acquire over time, so you'll gradually build up something of a stable of heroes to choose from for each phase of the game. Sometimes an injury or event will make a survivor skip a hunt, so you'll need more than 4 fleshed-out characters at a time. And as they die off, you'll pick new lucky survivors from the pool of unnamed people, flesh them out, and send them off to hunt! The campaign is only over when your population reaches 0.
13) The empty game box. It has slots to store specific things in, and the rules tell you to keep certain decks of cards persistent from session to session. For instance, the deck of new innovations you can research gets built from specific cards as your settlement advances, kind of like a tech tree, and you keep that in its own little slot from game to game so you don't have to keep rebuilding it.

From here on out it's rules and pictures of the book. Hopefully these are legible, but I'll give the jist of the rules anyway.
14) The newbie rules for the first battle, to get you playing something quickly. You can play the first game just from reading a few pages, which is nice, then read the rest of the rules for game 2. The first white lion battle has a specific setup that they guide you through, even going so far as to put specific cards on the top of each deck so they can walk you through the first occurrence of each action. You can skip the first battle in future campaigns if you want, it has optional rules for that in the back.
15) Rules for the monster's target selection and basic attacks. Against the white lion in particular, it seems like standing behind it can sometimes get you through a turn without anyone being attacked, because if it doesn't have a target it just Sniffs and doesn't hurt anyone. So once the first 2 people have died, maybe the remaining 2 can hold out if they can stay out of its way. Not all attacks have that blind spot, though, so some of its attack cards will still nail them. In future battles, survivors can avoid getting attacked by hiding behind terrain obstacles, staying knocked down, or doing things like using that Fecal Salve item from the Bone Grinder to hide from the monster, Predator-style. If you're knocked down or covered in poo you're not a threat, and most attacks only target threats - until it wastes a turn by Sniffing, anyway.
16-17) Survivor attack rules. In general attacking is roll to hit -> roll to wound, all with d10's. It's pretty straight forward, with the wrinkle being that each attack targets a random hit location you draw from the monster's hit location deck, and those cards really vary up how the attacks resolve. They change what critical results do (rolling 10+ to wound, with your Luck stat as a positive modifier), whether a crit is even possible, they modify how hard the monster is to wound at that location, they give the monster reactions, and sometimes they get you owned. Critical hits seem awesome and can make the fight take new paths. I can see how two fights would end up being quite different just based on the hit locations you draw, and when the crits happen.
18) This page explains gear affinities on your gear grid. Basically you match colored symbols on the grid like a lil puzzle minigame to get yourself bonuses, in this case completing 2 blue squares gets the guy +1 Luck (aka now he crits on a roll of 9-10). +1 to any stat seems like a pretty big deal.
19) First page of the Hunt Phase rules. Each year your team has to hunt a monster before they can fight it, and random events will happen along the way, some of them specific to that monster. Things will happen, your dudes may get owned along the way, the monster may escape or ambush you, you may ambush it or find new loot before even reaching it, may get bonuses for the next battle, etc. You may end up not even getting to fight the thing, which causes bad times for your town (Starvation, tho I don't know what that actually does yet).
20-22) Settlement phase rules, my favorite part <3 The survivors come home, you stash all your loots, craft new gear, then choose an action for each returning survivor - build a new thing, innovate a new tech, or do some other star'd action (called endeavors) available from your upgrades. Also there's a settlement event each phase, which seem both good and bad. When story events happen from the timeline or triggers (like your first death causes an event, your first birth causes another, etc.), you resolve them immediately. If it's a Nemesis encounter, like the Butcher showing up at your doorstep, you finish the settlement phase then go fight him. There's no Hunt phase, because he came to you and your survivors are defending their home. If you win or lose any battle, the encounter rules tell you what happens - in the Butcher's case winning gives you exp and rewards like normal, and losing means he ransacks your town while everyone hides - no one dies other than the 4 who were fighting him, but he takes all your unspent resources.
23) Mannnn why are these upside doooowwwwn... this is the severe injury table for the Body hit location, as an example of injuries. When you take damage, it first ticks off armor points (but the armor isn't destroyed, and it will refresh after the battle), then one point ticks off a light injury, then the next point ticks off a severe injury and knocks you down. Getting knocked down means the survivor loses a turn, but is off the monster's target list generally. Any further damage past severe will make you take a Severe Injury roll on these tables, a different table for each hit location. A 1-2 always kills you, so any severe injury roll has a 20% chance of death. The rest of the time it just horribly maims them xD You also gain bleeding tokens from these, and once you hit 5, your survivor's dead. If you survive the fight, you heal to full and anything non-permanent goes away. There's an important difference between, say, "gain a -1 strength token" and "gain -1 strength permanently" - the token only lasts until the end of the encounter.
24) The brain damage severe injury table! You can't equip armor to your brain, but your survivors do gain Insanity points which act like armor. You gain Insanity from events, and keep it forever until something terrifying hurts your brain, and you tick off the insanity as damage. Getting 3+ insanity means your survivor is actually insane, and that has an impact on some events. So your poor dudes seem to be running a bit of a balancing where being a little crazy helps you survive, but going off the deep end isn't so great either. You only ever take brain damage when a card, event or attack specifically says you do - usually from the monster doing something like roaring and being scary instead of clawing your face off. Physical damage is the norm.

I've just about finished reading the rules and the game seems great! It works with 1-4 people, but it doesn't have to be the same people each session because each game you're just grabbing survivors from your pool of fleshed-out characters and going off to battle. There are optional rules to adjust the game for 5-6 people as well, taking 6 survivors onto hunts. I'll be looking to start a campaign soon, not necessarily on Wednesdays. Just playing at my place or wherever.

Vaclav

Yea, really been liking reviews. anxious for mine to get here (GenCon order, not KS)

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This game seems amazing. Its like an adventure video game with a pseudo save system. Supposedly takes 20-30 hours to beat. Rahdo's mini-playthrough sold me. It would be great if there was more miniatures but I think that would muddy things up, especially their "save" system.

The 7th Continent Kickstarter

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I've been watching that 7th Continent Kickstarter. They are talking a big game but I'm skeptical. Their other games are rated less then a 7 on BGG. That's usually a red flag for me. The game looks sweet but I'm not sure 1000 cards and some figures is 100 bucks of game for me.

Vaclav

Not watching the video yet, but the visual and discussion of it sounds like Pathfinder ACG on steroids basically with less annoying setup - sounds like a winner to me if they don't botch it elsewhere based on that. [Not KSing it yet though, gonna watch the video and such later when the wife is lucid]

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I've been watching that 7th Continent Kickstarter. They are talking a big game but I'm skeptical. Their other games are rated less then a 7 on BGG. That's usually a red flag for me. The game looks sweet but I'm not sure 1000 cards and some figures is 100 bucks of game for me.
I don't usually go by this because anyone can have a hit any time really. I've backed a couple games of well known people and some were just okay. But I do appreciate the research! They have never ran a Kickstarter before but they do have Jamie helping them as community manager and he did so with Conan as well.

The only thing that worried me is replayability, not sure if its my wanting this game to be good, but after reading BGG and the comments I think there is enough replayability for at least a few playthroughs which would supposedly be 60-90 hours. More than most of my other boardgames have gotten me so far.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
If the base game is 20 hours for real and it's fun enough to sit through then the money is well spent. I am seriously skeptical of a company whose other games are meh on the game scale. I just noticed the rulebook is available for download so I will probably check it out over the next couple days (since I assume that shit is like 200 pages)

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Rahdo has a 3 part video up of the gameplay as well, technically only the second video is playthrough though. The first playthrough seems like it will be amazing because of not knowing what is going to happen. The 2nd playthrough will be trying to discover stuff you haven't found yet + random happenings.