Board Games

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I tried to play Steampunk Rally over the weekend. I loaded up the YouTube video. When they went over the insanely complex rules we just laughed, boxed it up and played Catan. They expect drunk people to start dividing multi dice rolls by numbers and shit? That isn't going to happen.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I went to a birthday party this last weekend to play some board games and nerd out.

We played Ticket to Ride, Fluxx, Space Team (phone game), and some snake like game with boats something Japanese.

Liked the games but hate hate hate when people aren't actually focused on the game and take 15 minutes a turn. I get that you are drinking and having a good time just be seem efficient at your turn is all!!
Talking AP (action paralysis) or just complete distraction?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ticket to Ride got much less interesting when I realized the best way to win is to say fuck it to your routes and just try and get all the long routes done first. Once you've gotten all the long routes then maybe, if you can be so arsed, try to complete your assigned routes. It seemed to take a lot of the fun out of the game.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know if anyone here is big on kickstarting games, but this game is pretty sweet. It's a post apocalyptic worker placement game where the goal is to kill other players families.

alert icon

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if anyone here is big on kickstarting games, but this game is pretty sweet. It's a post apocalyptic worker placement game where the goal is to kill other players families.

alert icon
I've done my fair share of kickstarting board games, but I'm at a point now where I have most of the genres covered and the games I have aren't getting played enough (or haven't even been opened in a couple cases...looking at you Tesla vs Edison). I've been waiting over a year now since I funded Unspeakable Words...other than that (which should finally arrive next month, they say), my only real regret was my first one, Kaosball, which took me forever to find people to play it with me, then it wasn't that good when I did. And I was stupid and got all the teams for it, as well...luckily I can repurpose most of them as Blood Bowl teams, though.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I tried to play Steampunk Rally over the weekend. I loaded up the YouTube video. When they went over the insanely complex rules we just laughed, boxed it up and played Catan. They expect drunk people to start dividing multi dice rolls by numbers and shit? That isn't going to happen.
I still love this game but it's one of the more advanced games I have because there's a lot to balance overall, plus there's the whole simultaneous turn thing which tends to throw people off. It's a great game but yeah, drunk people aren't the best audience.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't played in a while but I used to quite a bit. I have at least one of everything except the jungle and the last d&d set. Custom painted a few of the extra sets I have. Pretty solid game, so many combinations and so easy to pick up.
I guess you're not a member ofHeroscapersthen

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I guess you're not a member ofHeroscapersthen
I was a member back when I played, mostly just lurked it though. Haven't looked at it in years. I did end up meeting some local people on there and met up with one guy irl a couple times and did all day heroscape sessions. Mostly I played it with a couple of gaming friends and my dad.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Played a bunch of stuff at our game day yesterday. Some old stuff that still holds up (bang and 7 wonders) and some newer things I still enjoy (terra mystica ).

I played one new game, Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards Duel at Mount Skullfyre. If you are looking for a good party game this game is fun. It is not the deepest tactical game in the universe. If you enjoy some screw your neighbors type games, it's worth a play.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think so does it also have a dragon expansion? We played the very basic snake tile version with ships on the sea. I liked it for a nice and quick game.
Yup, that's Tsuro.

There's Tsuro and the sequel Tsuro of the Seas.

Regular Tsuro is just a snake path game where you play as dragons. Tsuro of the Seas has you playing as boats on the ocean being attacked by dragons.

They're both fun, quick games that requires very little brainpower. Average game takes no more than 10 minutes. They're good games for non-boardgamers. But Tsuro of the Seas has a much more significant random element in the form of dragons.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yup, that's Tsuro.

There's Tsuro and the sequel Tsuro of the Seas.

Regular Tsuro is just a snake path game where you play as dragons. Tsuro of the Seas has you playing as boats on the ocean being attacked by dragons.

They're both fun, quick games that requires very little brainpower. Average game takes no more than 10 minutes. They're good games for non-boardgamers. But Tsuro of the Seas has a much more significant random element in the form of dragons.
We played the seas minus the dragons just to be quick and easy. I enjoyed it.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on KD:M here in the next couple of weeks after a big paycheck. Even at $400, it calls to me.

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on KD:M here in the next couple of weeks after a big paycheck. Even at $400, it calls to me.
It looks so amazing to me, But I need a sale or to play at least some of it first. I am hoping there will be a black friday sale that brings it closer to the $295 /w free shipping it was at the end of pre-orders (I think the first round of Pre-orders was $275). I have heard they like black friday sales. If I could play it sooner, I may say screw the sale though heh. Right now I am backing the Too Many Bones KS. It speaks to the building a character mmo gene in me and I think it can be a lot of fun trying different builds and character combinations in the game. It's a little pricy, but all the components seem like they will be beyond most games in the industry (looking at their past games and promised quality). Still, it's a bit much if you want everything. There are 4 add-ons. I am planning on getting 3. So that would have me at $213 after shipping, which is more than I haver ever paid for a game (Black Plague and Conan are close at $200 each though). That said, my wife is into it and if I can keep her happily apart of my hobbies the better off I am lol.

Vaclav

It looks so amazing to me, But I need a sale or to play at least some of it first. I am hoping there will be a black friday sale that brings it closer to the $295 /w free shipping it was at the end of pre-orders (I think the first round of Pre-orders was $275). I have heard they like black friday sales. If I could play it sooner, I may say screw the sale though heh. Right now I am backing the Too Many Bones KS. It speaks to the building a character mmo gene in me and I think it can be a lot of fun trying different builds and character combinations in the game. It's a little pricy, but all the components seem like they will be beyond most games in the industry (looking at their past games and promised quality). Still, it's a bit much if you want everything. There are 4 add-ons. I am planning on getting 3. So that would have me at $213 after shipping, which is more than I haver ever paid for a game (Black Plague and Conan are close at $200 each though). That said, my wife is into it and if I can keep her happily apart of my hobbies the better off I am lol.
It wasn't $295 w/ free shipping at the end of P/O's - it was $295 w/ paid shipping. Still have my receipt for $335 total.

And yea, KD:M is amazing - I'm just dreading seeing the costs on the expansions once they go to non-KS.

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
Ahh my mistake. I must have read something wrong. Still $105 less (considering $40 of your order was shipping to get it to $335) is nothing to sneeze at. So I hope, even if it never sees $295 again, I can perhaps get it at $325 or so. If not, I am sure I will eventually just take the plunge.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of my trusted friends swears by Tsuro, but it always falls flat with my playing group and nongamers don't want to touch it.

Vaclav

Ahh my mistake. I must have read something wrong. Still $105 less (considering $40 of your order was shipping to get it to $335) is nothing to sneeze at. So I hope, even if it never sees $295 again, I can perhaps get it at $325 or so. If not, I am sure I will eventually just take the plunge.
Regular ($400) price last I checked includes free shipping. So it's more like $65ish saved.

But yea, on anything so tremendous of cost and savings feels good.

faille

Molten Core Raider
wtf is in the game that makes it so damn expensive? Are the cards gold covered or something?