Board Games

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A big sticking point for FFG was that folks were buying all their LCG chapter/data/whatever packs on CSI for 40% off, then expecting the local stores to still run tournaments and shit for them. Makes the LGSs a bit cranky. Makes the online buying a lot more explicit when a dude actually shows up to your store every week to play the game in events you have to schedule, make space for, and acquire a TO/Judge for... and never buys any cards from you. Whereas if someone's buying their boardgames online, you might never notice, as I doubt there are many Twilight Imperium Leagues or similar being run by game shops.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A big sticking point for FFG was that folks were buying all their LCG chapter/data/whatever packs on CSI for 40% off, then expecting the local stores to still run tournaments and shit for them. Makes the LGSs a bit cranky. Makes the online buying a lot more explicit when a dude actually shows up to your store every week to play the game in events you have to schedule, make space for, and acquire a TO/Judge for... and never buys any cards from you. Whereas if someone's buying their boardgames online, you might never notice, as I doubt there are many Twilight Imperium Leagues or similar being run by game shops.
Eh, there might be a "CSI effect" with some of the stores here in Brevard one county over - our major game shop absolutely does get a bit pithy when you're bringing games in from outside (with the exception of KD:M since that's non-retail) - I love supporting local so I do give him my $$ when there's something that I'm going to want to crack open there regularly though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If anyone is mildly interested in Massive Darkness, they've announced a story/campaign mode that takes you through multiple quests, tavern mode with traders in between dungeons, slower exp, etc. Sounds pretty fantastic to me, and the some of the sculpts are great. I've backed it, but am really bummed it's so far from release.

alert icon

I've just started playing Zombicide Black Plague and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I'm rather bummed I missed it's kickstarter.

Vaclav

Got a link to the campaign/story mode quote/etc? Can't find it at a quick glance.

Was popping by the thread to inform those looking for a KD:M reprint that KD:M reprint has been CONFIRMED to be in the works - although specifics TBA - and apparently some "as-is" copies with banged up boxes being put in the store soon.

Although if you're not a minis person, it's interesting to note that in the announcement the notes regarding GenCon seems to imply that there will be a "no minis" version coming as well...

News of Death - KDU#16 - KDM Reprint Confirmed!for the linkage.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone own this when they were younger? I remember my mom brought this home for me, and my brother from some garage sale and good times were had.

I've since then lost it to moving. I would probly buy it again, but I'm never going to play it.

I loved this game as a kid. I mentioned it a couple times to my girlfriend and she got me one for Christmas in really good shape and complete. It was awesome and so is she.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
HeroQuest was the shit. I had the original set and both(?) expansions. At least, both expansions that I was aware of. I think my sister has all of it at this point, and we actually played it a bit like 6 years ago.

KD:M re-print confirmed is great fucking news.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got a link to the campaign/story mode quote/etc? Can't find it at a quick glance.

Was popping by the thread to inform those looking for a KD:M reprint that KD:M reprint has been CONFIRMED to be in the works - although specifics TBA - and apparently some "as-is" copies with banged up boxes being put in the store soon.

Although if you're not a minis person, it's interesting to note that in the announcement the notes regarding GenCon seems to imply that there will be a "no minis" version coming as well...

News of Death ??" KDU#16 - KDM Reprint Confirmed!for the linkage.
Yep, here's the story mode announcement. You can also download the rulebook pdf on this link. They put up a Zombicide Black Plague crossover add-on today and the kickstarter went nuts. Also announced a pretty badass mini as the next stretch goal. It was a pretty boring campaign up until today, starting to get hyped for it now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1603090

Vaclav

Yep, here's the story mode announcement. You can also download the rulebook pdf on this link. They put up a Zombicide Black Plague crossover add-on today and the kickstarter went nuts. Also announced a pretty badass mini as the next stretch goal. It was a pretty boring campaign up until today, starting to get hyped for it now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1603090
Ok that kills my apprehension that I had on it... was like... damn that looks good, then... wait... no campaign that carries over F-that.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Heroquest is still a favorite at the gaming table I frequent - it makes the rounds at least once or twice per year. Sometimes, the old ones are the best, even had a game of old school Runebound last weekend.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Friend is bringing Black Plague tomorrow...I'll check it out. I think I'd like to back this, but trying not to do too much extra spending until I close on my house. I have it set to remind me a couple days before the campaign ends.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
After Brexit my first thought was to wonder if I could buy more Dark Souls expansions since they are all in pounds.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife got me dead of winter for Father's day. Pretty excited to try that tonight. Is 3 an ok number of players?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Finally plagued Zombicide last night. I wasn't blown away. I liked it, but there were a few rules issues that add to my worries about coolminisornot. Still tempted to get the new kickstarter, though. I'll post the exact issues we had if anyone cares when I get home later.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious about your issues. Ive liked it a lot. I think my only issue with it so far is the vault weapons. I wish they weren't so OP, and wish there were more than just the two. Once I would get the wizard spell I had to actively do nothing with him to keep him from out leveling everyone, it's just too nasty.

Unless you're talking about the original Zombicide, I haven't played that one. You said you 'plagued' zombicide so not sure if that was a Freudian slip or not. I have read that Black Plague fixed a few issues people had with the original.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Haha...I was typing on my phone, but yeah. It was Black Plague.
So, the issues we had started with a small one. I wanted to be the dwarf character and his first ability is "Starts With Hammer". But everyone starts with a weapon, so it doesn't make sense. We decided to give my character two hammers after not being able to find a clarification.

The second bigger issue was with all the Abominations. Apparently we started with all of the different versions of them and we got wiped out pretty fast as we kept drawing them way too frequently. We tried to find a rule for how many were supposed to be in there and couldn't. We eventually just made up our own rule on how we would handle it and cut it down to 6 Abomination cards instead of ~30. So we started off really well stomping everything and got to this area where when we knocked down the door, ~8 rooms spawned. Well, two of those cards were for the Abomination (I think we had the rat one) and he spawned next to us, then the next card activated him and he killed us before we could do anything. We were doing the beginning scenario if you're familiar with it.

I enjoyed the idea of the game, but the lack of clarity in that rule made the first play-through impossible. And then randomly getting killed because 2 abomination cards ended up within the same 8 spots on the second attempt sucked, too. In that second game we went from destroying everything (which wasn't challenging, probably because of the OP weapons you mentioned) to getting killed without having a chance to defend ourselves (which wasn't fun either).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife got me dead of winter for Father's day. Pretty excited to try that tonight. Is 3 an ok number of players?
Played this tonight as 5 and it was fuckin hard. Think we did all the rules right and we barely completed the main objective. 2 people did end up winning but it was hard as shit.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've had Dead of Winter for about 2 weeks and have gotten 3 games in. They've gone like this:

1st game: No betrayers. Barely won because of mass distrust from random non-betrayers splashing the crisis for no reason.
2nd game: Lost very early due to random non-betrayers splashing the crisis for no reason and exiling both of them. Meanwhile, the actual betrayer that was biding his time and never splashed ended up voting FOR exiling the 2nd, causing him to lose the game as well.
3rd game: People finally realized not to splash the crisis for no reason. No betrayers. Absolutely crushed it.

So my opinion so far is that the game's mechanics are completely pointless if people don't understand what the hell is going on. Then once they do, the normal mode seems trivial. Can't wait to jump into the hard modes, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We did the mission where you set it up with 12x zombies in the colony plus 2x in every location, requiring 2x food for every player and every player must equip a weapon.

I felt like it took the whole game to catch up from that mass of zombies in the beginning. Also messed up the rules a little in the beginning. Just seemed pretty hard.