Board Games

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
My girlfriend got me Roll for the Galaxy for my birthday last week. Liking it a lot so far, good light strategy/worker placement/dice game that isn't too crazy long. I love my long heavier strategy games but this is a good game night game. I usually have to schedule special game days for the heavier stuff.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Grabbed Mansions of Madness 2E a few days ago - it's amazing, best app integration for a game yet. Soooooo thematic and the app making it fully coop is gorgeous.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We're up to ~15 games of Scythe since it came in. Good game so far, but boardgamegeek is stuck in full fellatio mode on the dev; game has some issues. Russia isn't "unbeatable", but it definitely is heavily advantaged, and requires a dedication from the other players to meddling directly in its affairs, which is rarely required by other factions. Game definitely feels a lot better when you draft the action-boards after recieving your Nation Board, rather than when you hand them out randomly, as some starting peninsulas are extremely bad for certain action boards.

Polania is the only faction that really feels weak in our time playing, and that's mostly due to the difficulty it has getting off its starting peninsula without a friendly-costed action board. If you manage to get off early due to good luck with your starting-peninsula quest, the faction feels great, but that's a ton of shit riding on that first encounter. Black&Yellow faction has never won a game, mostly because everyone is super paranoid when they're involved (thanks to Black's ability to ambush-win the game by completing multiple objectives at once and being able to get more than 2 military stars), rather than being weak.

All the encounters that provide mechs feel brutally overpowered when they're found on a starting peninsula.

My "irrational personal gripe" of the game is that it's awkward to track Recruits some times when you have 4+ players. People taking recruit bonuses from players who are 2 spots away, players missing recruit bonus actions taken by their adjacent players, etc.

Strategically, we haven't had a '5-worker' strat player get 1st or 2nd, those slots are always locked up by someone who rushed 8 workers for the star/efficient mech distribution of move actions. Our games are pretty evenly split on sections of the popularity track for the winner, having had multiple people win at each of the three point multiplier segments.

I heavily recommend giving it a go. It looks like a 3-4 hour game, but it's actually a 1.5-2h game, and it plays pretty smooth.

Sae

I've been enjoying Pandemic with a group of 4 the last few months, we're starting to get the game down and have ordered the expansions to keep it fresh. We have a gaming session once a month roughly.

The only other board games we've played is some Catan, Munchkin and Risk but we really like the co-op aspect of Pandemic. Any co-op kickstarters out there or other games worth a look to mix things up a bit?
Sentinels of the Multiverse is my favorite coop.
Fireteam Zero is like zombicide, but everyone needs to actually cooperate to survive
Both use your card hand to keep people from playing your turn for you.

Vaclav

Ouch had Mansions of Madness bug about 90 min into a scenario of about 3 hrs I'm guesstimating - couldn't recover the game, that hurts.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Just coming back from GenCon...It appears I missed some board shenanigans.

Winners of GenCon:

Scythe
Cry Havok
Tyrants of the Underdark (really came out at Origins)
Catacombs (Goofy, but fun)

Honorable mentions:
Mystic Vale (feels like half a game...apparently the mechanic is part of a larger game coming late Q4).
SeaFall (Legacy game that was all the talk...Demo'd it and it has potential)
Oceanos (sold out instantly)

I'll write more later...4 + days of demos, tournaments, and no sleep. I'm beat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Catacombs? The wooden disc flicking dungeon crawler game? I've had that for awhile, did they release something new and/or are working on something?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
SeaFall sounds neat, though my group isn't really big on competitive games. Trying to see who among us wants to buy Mansions of Madness 2E. I was actually the big detractor of the original, lol.

We're still on like June of our Pandemic Legacy play-through that started in January.

Vaclav

Yea Mansions 2E is a completely different animal now - I loved the original conceptually but forcing a "Keeper" was so opposite what makes the rest of FFG's Mythos games so damn good.

App bugging out and being unrecoverable is obnoxious though - might give it a few days before another play for a patch to come because of that.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kuro Kuro - Glad to hear after 15 games that Russia is still broken. I raped with them in our first game, no one was even close to me. After playing that I felt the game was fine but Russia was just way too good. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Brand Brand - Mystic Vale is only half a game like Dominion or Ascension is only half a game. It's a deckbuilder with no player interaction. Those games have been making millions over the past decade. I felt like it had some cool mechanics and definitely drives the genre along in to new territory. I think their next game which is Mystic Vale with attacks will be sweet as long as the attacks are more interactive then something like Star Realms.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Missed this year's gencon but I gave my friends $250 and told them to bring me back the best they played with.

Should see what I bought tomorrow.

Evernothing

Played some card game called Gloom. Goddamn it is that game boring

Due to it's extremely simple mechanics, Gloom is only fun if you "roleplay" it and read out the terrible things that happen to your characters and make up some story to go along with it. It can be quite funny if played with the right type of players this way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Due to it's extremely simple mechanics, Gloom is only fun if you "roleplay" it and read out the terrible things that happen to your characters and make up some story to go along with it. It can be quite funny if played with the right type of players this way.
I tried to do this. I got Mr Giggles and I roleplayed that he was a serial rapist. Then in turn, every other player kept going on and on about their characters raping eachother. It sucked because then it became a rape fest.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Mystic Vale should end up being a great series of games, since AEG purchased the design from someone else. Whenever AEG doesn't actually design a game, that game does really well for them :D

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Catacombs? The wooden disc flicking dungeon crawler game? I've had that for awhile, did they release something new and/or are working on something?

They just did a kickstarter expansion thing.

I watched the guys at SUSD play it and they got my money. Not optimistic about my group being into it, but think it will be great with my kids.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Copying and pasting my Dark Souls review from their site. I'm happy with backing it after demoing it. Was pretty fun, you feel like you're about to die the whole time just like the video games.

Anyway /paste

I got to demo this at Gencon. There really isn't any 'new' news to report. They still only had the Dancer, the Herald, and Warrior and the one large rectangle tile. I liked the new dodge mechanic, there were multiples times that you had to choose which to use and weigh the options of which way would be better. Basically you try dodging if you can afford a massive hit cause the payoff is large. Saw it work and take 0 damage a couple of times...however one time it failed and the character died. The players ended up winning, I was giving the SFG guy crap that this was the easiest Dark Souls I'd ever seen
default_wink.png
With that said though, the entire game I was expecting the characters to die. The amount of damage the Dancer could do and the huge amount of life she had was so daunting.

The only things I saw that were 'new' were the finalized models of some of the sculpts. I'm not sure if they are public yet but it was new to me. The artist that is sculpting was showing some changes like they added a vestigial head to the gaping dragon plus a few other pose changes, made the titanite demon look more like stone (It looks a lot better now), some gargoyle wing changes, etc. Everything basically looks more detailed and refined than it does on the Kickstarter.

Also the giant statue was pretty cool. Would be an amazing piece to have in your gaming dungeon/basement.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I'll have to lookup Star Trek Panic, didnt know about that one. Had Castle Panic, learned about the expansions not too long ago. Dont have the game anymore, lost everyone in a flood some years back. :(

Old staple has been Arkham Horror. Fun but can be long play. It has a 30min setup time. If you get this, buy some business card holders and a large box, you can cut the setup time to under 5min. Had a box close to this but a little bigger. Added the dragon as I just noticed it up for sale, might be getting that soon.

Arkham_horror-game.jpg

8-Pocket-Desktop-or-Tabletop-Business-Card-Holder.jpg

91NVT8mN4FL._SL1500_.jpg

Gemmy Airblown® Inflatable Dragon with Wings - Big Lots
product.chain%5D

• 1Like

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
Arkham horror is great, one of my gf's favorite games she owns. It was impossibly hard when we thought portals moved when their symbols came up.

RTFM guys.

• 1Like