Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm looking for recommendations on a very simple-to-learn game for 4-6 players. I tend to spend quite a bit of time with my in-laws on holidays, and beyond making them feel embarrassed while playing Cards Against Humanity, I'd like to play another game with them. It'll be my bother-in-law, his wife, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and my wife and I playing. None of them are gamers (i.e. they may take a few explanations to understand normal concepts within the traditional game world), but all of them are smart enough to beat me once they understand the rules and the game-meta.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
It only does 5, but Ticket to Ride has been successful with my family, and they dislike board games. I brought it for Thanksgiving last year with a stack of other stuff and convinced my mom and a couple of other people to give it a shot. Everyone had a really good time, and this year I got numerous texts making sure I would bring it. Jamaica does 6, and I found non board gamers tend to like that, I'm just personally not the biggest fan.

Side note, just got to Satan's Lantern pledge for Kingdom Death monster. I remember a couple of years ago I had found some kind of script that would play a sound when a backing level opens up. I tried to find that this time, thinking I could just have the page refreshing in the background at work and if I hear that sound and try to jump on it. Anyway, no luck finding that, but I didn't find a Chrome extension called Fastbacker that automated the whole thing. You have to tie it to your Kickstarter account, but then you just select a project and the backer level you want, and it just constantly refreshes the page every 10 seconds trying to select that reward. I'm sure it breaks Kickstarter terms of service, and it looks like you can only use it for free on two projects, and then they try to sell you credits to keep using it, but it worked for me. Took 5 days for the spot to open up, so glad I didn't try to do that the manual way.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, something in the worker placement or set collection range seems to fit the ticket best. (Forbidden Island is a good one if you want a co-op, rather than competitive, in the set collection theme)

faille

Molten Core Raider
Codenames is good though more of a party game. Pandemic would work but don't alpha game it. Maybe viticulture, would probably be pushing into too advanced but people might appreciate the theme

pablos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm looking for recommendations on a very simple-to-learn game for 4-6 players. I tend to spend quite a bit of time with my in-laws on holidays, and beyond making them feel embarrassed while playing Cards Against Humanity, I'd like to play another game with them. It'll be my bother-in-law, his wife, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and my wife and I playing. None of them are gamers (i.e. they may take a few explanations to understand normal concepts within the traditional game world), but all of them are smart enough to beat me once they understand the rules and the game-meta.

some quick games that my family has surprisingly liked a lot were Coup and Love Letter, my family are not gamers at all but they really get into Coup. I think it is because they like calling each other liars.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Splendor is a pretty easy and fun game.

Speaking of which, I played Villages of Valeria yesterday which was sort of like an advanced version of Splendor. I had no idea what I was doing at first, but luckily I was able to develop those early uninformed moves into a good strategy and ran away with the game. Definitely not a beginner's game, but if you like Splendor then this feels like a natural progression.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Picked up betrayal at house on the blhablahblah can't remember the full name and alihambra. Not sure which to play first in our trio.

My wife is obsessed with Catan so got her rivals of Catan. Got decent reviews so hopefully she likes it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hey Hate, have you tried the TTS KD:M scripted mod much? I've been digging into it, and it's pretty great (completely solidifies my desire to keep my Satan pledge, not that it needed it), but occasionally the scripts seem to break for some unknown reason.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
When my friends and I play we always have to increase the play time estimate damn near 50% a lot of the time.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's mostly my brother in law. He tries all these long plays like he's some master strategist but he always loses.
Every group has that guy. There is a reason some games come with an hour glass :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I never even tried Xenoshyft Onslaught but for some reason I kickstarted Dreadmire. After a few games I'm really glad I did. It's a fun little deck builder, now to figure out what to do with all of the extra crap (heroes etc) that comes with the Kickstarter.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Every group has that guy. There is a reason some games come with an hour glass :)

So very true. One of our friends obsessively reads and re-reads the rule book whenever we play, lol.