Board Games

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Star Realms worked for me and my girlfriend until I "started taking it too seriously" because I developed a strategy.

Coop games are always good...the Forbidden Games, Pandemic, Flash Point...all solid, just find a theme you're interested in.

You could try the "Fluxx" games like Star Fluxx. I'm not a huge fan and I think it's a bit better with 3-4 people, but it plays quick and doesn't require a lot of thought/strategy.

Star Realms worked for me and my girlfriend until I "started taking it too seriously" because I developed a strategy.

Coop games are always good...the Forbidden Games, Pandemic, Flash Point...all solid, just find a theme you're interested in.

You could try the "Fluxx" games like Star Fluxx. I'm not a huge fan and I think it's a bit better with 3-4 people, but it plays quick and doesn't require a lot of thought/strategy.

I think I'm going to try some of the co-op suggestions, we've not tried one yet. Taking things to seriously is what I'm accused of too, when it's really just me figuring out strategies quicker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
Patchwork is a pretty good one and I've heard good things about Jaipur

• 1Like

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Lost cities, Carcasonne and Ticket to Ride Nordic are all super quick to learn and great for 2.

Skeezer

Molten Core Raider
First batch play regularly with my wife, last two we have but haven't tried yet (like most games in my collection), but hear really good things about.

Patchwork
Agricola: Creatures big and small (if you can find it :/ )
Hive
Jaipur
Kahuna
Mr Jack (there are a few)

Santorini
7 Wonders Duel

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No love for the D&D branded games? Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty fun for our group, its ghetto D&D with minis, easy to play and learn.

i didn't know these existed. i asked a page or two back about board games that would be good for my girlfriend and myself, and the main reason was because she'd been asking about playing D&D. we don't have enough friends interested with the same schedule to be able to do a campaign tho. so mini one-shot D&D would be perfect. looking more into these, thank you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So the munchkin ruiners were back again, we played Catan because it's my wife's favorite. We made a rule that they couldn't gift cards, only trade (might be a real rule, I can't remember). First fuckin trade "I'll give you a wood and a sheep for a wood". No you fuckin won't bitch. Never inviting them again.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i didn't know these existed. i asked a page or two back about board games that would be good for my girlfriend and myself, and the main reason was because she'd been asking about playing D&D. we don't have enough friends interested with the same schedule to be able to do a campaign tho. so mini one-shot D&D would be perfect. looking more into these, thank you.

ToEE is the newest of that series.
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the munchkin ruiners were back again, we played Catan because it's my wife's favorite. We made a rule that they couldn't gift cards, only trade (might be a real rule, I can't remember). First fuckin trade "I'll give you a wood and a sheep for a wood". No you fuckin won't bitch. Never inviting them again.

Have you tried to explain to them why their behavior is considered detrimental in a fun competitive game?

Now that said, it might be worthwhile to have them play some Co-Op stuff where that sort of behavior isn't detrimental.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I got to board game night early, so a friend got out a game called Roll Player for us to try real quick.

It sold me at the concept, it's a game about making a character.

RollPlayer-Dwarf.jpg

So a bunch of dice rolling as you manage the placement, the totals and your rep, all influenced by your race, your class, your disposition and backstory. Then you buy skills, traits, weapons and armor. Whoever ends up w/ the most gold stars wins.

Was a lot of fun, max of 4 players I believe.

roll-player-elf-board.jpg

633839666663312f74756d626c725f696e6c696e655f6f6b73326a356a49484f3175706c6c37385f313238302e6a7067.jpg

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Roll Player is sold out everywhere but they are on Kickstarter again for an expansion and a second printing.

Vaclav

Looks neat - debating doing the KS.

Heh, it's more of getting a feel for my schedule to make use of it with work. I'm 90% sure I'll love it, just my enthusiasm for board games has been down with the mental energy I've been burning off with work.

Kind of sad really - sitting on an extra $3k or so a month now versus my previous disability income, but just feel like vegging when I'm off the clock now, lol. I'm happy, I enjoy the work a ton and making solid money but zero desire to spend it on anything other than eating out an extra couple times a week because I don't feel like bothering.

Hopefully the gaming desire starts coming back more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Heh, it's more of getting a feel for my schedule to make use of it with work. I'm 90% sure I'll love it, just my enthusiasm for board games has been down with the mental energy I've been burning off with work.

Kind of sad really - sitting on an extra $3k or so a month now versus my previous disability income, but just feel like vegging when I'm off the clock now, lol. I'm happy, I enjoy the work a ton and making solid money but zero desire to spend it on anything other than eating out an extra couple times a week because I don't feel like bothering.

Hopefully the gaming desire starts coming back more.
Welcome to how we feel haha

That roll player looks like a good concept but I'd worry it would feel like blue balling me

Vaclav

Welcome to how we feel haha

That roll player looks like a good concept but I'd worry it would feel like blue balling me

I wasn't this way before - but I guess working in your 20's and early 30's is different than your low-40's, lol.

I've seen it happen with folks with kids with the kids draining off energy - didn't think it was supposed to happen to DINKs like me and Laura though.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The new official starting-point-totals for Terra Mystica gave me a solid chuckle. Fakirs so bad they get more starting points than the actual vanilla race.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
It is a real rule. Tell those fuckers to go die.

Fuck that.