Board Games

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks like they have a full solution but looking it over, I like the EOG plans better.
I'm liking foamboard myself too, but didn't even look comparable - but yea being able to make "trays" that interlock with foamcraft is awesome and hard to compete with. (Besides the ~2-3 hrs time commitment)

moontayle

Golden Squire
The tray part is what swung me. Battlefoam is a storage solution, nothing more. Which is fine really, but the trays you build with the EOG design work very well in a dual purpose role of storage as well as play accessory.

Vaclav

The tray part is what swung me. Battlefoam is a storage solution, nothing more. Which is fine really, but the trays you build with the EOG design work very well in a dual purpose role of storage as well as play accessory.
I've got finish all my planned ones in the immediate future, but for "map building" games like Descent/Brimstone - I've got some ideas of how I want to build plans for them to make the map pieces easier to organize when carrying them around.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Conan boardgame kickstarter ended up at a crazy ass 3.327 million bucks. I guess I should build shelves for all the minis I'm getting at the end of the year!

faille

Molten Core Raider
Cheers! Though that one might not be suitable for me.
I doubt my ability to cut accurately to use plans (would love a tool like Vaclav linked but I've already spent way too much), though I do like the appeal of not having to work out and design something myself. Mostly I'm also a big fan of using tackle boxes. Found a nice one for all the small tokens, and an even better one that all the miniatures fit into small compartments, apart from the AT-ST and the big monster things but even though I might be able ot fit with some modifications. I'll post some pics when I get home. I did the same for Dead for Winter and then built my foamcore to fit around the tackle boxes for all the other stuff.

I did get to play it last night so I have a better idea of what I need. Something that helps with organising and setup / packup rather than just storage is key. Atm, I've organised the tiles into baggies separated by number, 1-10, 11-20, etc, which seems to make finding the map pieces a lot quicker and it's something I would want to keep in the solution. Still working out how to do the various cards. I'm leaning towards organising them into stages of the game. So all the skirmish stuff together, the cards needed at the start of a mission together, the cards needed at the end, etc. I still need to get used to what they all are though.

The biggest worry is making things future proof, having enough room to add my stuff when I buy expansions and so forth.

Oh, I also ordered some small dice off ebay, 100 for $3, which I think I'll use to keep track of damage on imperials. It's really awkward using the tokens and having to move the figures, but I'm hoping these dice will sit nicely on the bases.

moontayle

Golden Squire
My wife and I ended up putting the colored number stickers on the bases and then when a group is deployed using the included tokens to correspond and keep track of damage near the card instead of on the board.

Vaclav

Cheers! Though that one might not be suitable for me.
I doubt my ability to cut accurately to use plans (would love a tool like Vaclav linked but I've already spent way too much), though I do like the appeal of not having to work out and design something myself. Mostly I'm also a big fan of using tackle boxes. Found a nice one for all the small tokens, and an even better one that all the miniatures fit into small compartments, apart from the AT-ST and the big monster things but even though I might be able ot fit with some modifications. I'll post some pics when I get home. I did the same for Dead for Winter and then built my foamcore to fit around the tackle boxes for all the other stuff.

I did get to play it last night so I have a better idea of what I need. Something that helps with organising and setup / packup rather than just storage is key. Atm, I've organised the tiles into baggies separated by number, 1-10, 11-20, etc, which seems to make finding the map pieces a lot quicker and it's something I would want to keep in the solution. Still working out how to do the various cards. I'm leaning towards organising them into stages of the game. So all the skirmish stuff together, the cards needed at the start of a mission together, the cards needed at the end, etc. I still need to get used to what they all are though.

The biggest worry is making things future proof, having enough room to add my stuff when I buy expansions and so forth.

Oh, I also ordered some small dice off ebay, 100 for $3, which I think I'll use to keep track of damage on imperials. It's really awkward using the tokens and having to move the figures, but I'm hoping these dice will sit nicely on the bases.
The Knife was $10 on US Amazon - even with the excess shipping getting it over there if you can't find it on a local equivalent it should be $25 tops I'd imagine. (It was actually mailed USPS here not even UPS/FedEx)

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Well shit, now I totally want to get into that foamcore stuff. Just a couple nights ago I got Battlecon: Devastation of Indies and went "This looks like a fantastic game, with a terrible box.", which is true of probably 70-80% of my collection. Time to start a whole new craft? The idea is supper appealing to the perfectionist in me.

Also, just bought and played a couple games of Ghost stories. I had a good time, but it sure is just an overly random fuck fest huh? The first game had us pretty screwed, the second game we were staying pretty well on top of things when "draw a card... who's power is draw a card... who's power is draw a card... who's power..." drew like 5 ghosts in one turn, already had one that was rolling a curse die every turn, and this added another one. Next player draws a ghost, ends up drawing two more, takes away our ability to use the tokens, all 12 spots filled (when we had only 3 or 4 ghosts out 2 turns prior) and they murder us. Didn't feel like we did anything wrong, or there was any skill or strategy that could have changed things. Maybe the game would play differently with 4? We were only 2 people. Still, enjoyable enough for something different, plus everyone likes co-op games, even if we lose.

Vaclav

Ghost Stories is really rough with 2 people - wife and I got it about 2 weeks ago, have yet to win a game in maybe 5 runs.

faille

Molten Core Raider
The Knife was $10 on US Amazon - even with the excess shipping getting it over there if you can't find it on a local equivalent it should be $25 tops I'd imagine. (It was actually mailed USPS here not even UPS/FedEx)
Even that would stretch my budget a little since I don't plan to make any more inserts in the forseeable future. Between Dead of Winter and Star Wars, and all the associated stuff I've chosen to buy for them on top, I've pretty much blown my board game budget for the year!

I will say that just having a new sharp box cutter made all the difference. the last one I used was pretty old, probably blunt and started to rust. So it was chewing up the foam every time I did a cut. The new knife, even though it's still a $2 cheapie, glides through like it's supposed to.

Well shit, now I totally want to get into that foamcore stuff. Just a couple nights ago I got Battlecon: Devastation of Indies and went "This looks like a fantastic game, with a terrible box.", which is true of probably 70-80% of my collection. Time to start a whole new craft? The idea is supper appealing to the perfectionist in me.
It definitely makes things nice and fit better. What I really like about it how much it can reduce setup / packup time, but having all the right things in the right place. First one I did was for suburbia, and having all the A, B, C tiles in seperate trays made it so much easier to pull them out, shuffle and put down than messing with baggies.

It's also relatively inexpensive, though can be time consuming. Just need a cutting mat, good knife, metal ruler and pva or craft glue. Then it's just a matter of buying the foamcore you want. I'd highly recommend getting the ones where the foam and cardboard are matching colours. I'd also recommend, pencil for drawing in your cutting lines first, and pins for holding it all together while the glue dries. Whatever the pins with the balls on the end are call are great since it also helps them sit off the surface during drying. It's also worth planning out carefully what you want to do. So easy to forget that the foam is 5mm which adds up if you have too many sides or slots. Also, some plans you can get online might not take into account if your cards are sleeved or not, which again, adds up and can throw things off just enough to ruin everything.

I was really hoping I could find a nice piece of software to do the designing in which would also then optimize how I should do the cuts. I usually end up with some many different shaped pieces for the various sides, bottoms, etc, it would be nice to reduce how much is wasted. Anyone seen anything like that?

Ghost Stories is really rough with 2 people - wife and I got it about 2 weeks ago, have yet to win a game in maybe 5 runs.
I really like Ghost Stories, but man it's a bitch. My group still struggles on Intro level, though starting get some consistent wins there. It's hard to imagine how the harder levels are possible though.

Vaclav

faile: My one gaming group is tied in with a local Makerspace - I was planning to ask them to "optimized cuts" question myself next time, they've got a ton of cutting equipment there, so I'm sure someone has a solution of some sort. (Plus I might ask about cutting foam core on the laser cutter, just because)

faille

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_90396.jpg
rrr_img_90395.jpg

Here's my storage so far. The pink stuff is no slip padding, which I found for $2 and adds some nice cushioning to each of the apartments. Unfortunately it's just think enough that the Nexu won't fit with it, and even the Wookie is a tight squeeze.

When all packed up, with the rules and stuff, it ends up overhanging the top of the box by about 3 cm, which is annoying, but shouldn't be too bad.

The token trays are just those weekly medicine trays, with one for the setup tokens, and the other for during mission tokens like damage.

The AT-ST is in the ziplock back which I added some of the pink stuff to for extra padding.

The tile trays are organised into 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31+, which I'm hoping will make finding the right pieces for map setup faster. And you can see the downside to picking foamcore that has different coloured cardboard to the foam. Sadly it was the only option available at the time
frown.png

Still plenty of room for all the cards, but I'm trying to work out how to organise them to make setup easier etc. May end up just putting them into card deck packs, at least in the short term. There's just too many different types to make foamcore trays for them.

And yes, it goes without saying that I've spent way too much time and effort on doing all of this. And I haven't even started the painting process yet...

Vaclav

Yea, not done my Descent 2E yet (with all expansions except Manor) but planning similar with some sort of splits to the tiles because that gets to be a bitch otherwise, yea.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Was able to play 2 games of Argent the Consortium this week, 4 person set up, different groups each time. Wow, serious potential for cut-throat worker placement and the game is crunchy as all get out, but very fun. So many parts of the game have dual sides with different functions that replayability and diversity is staggering. Definatly not a light weight game, but if you have a smart game group I highly recommend this game. The anime style art is amazing too, should have gotten the art book.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My playgroup is working hard to get Argent's dev to quit life by asking a constant stream of rules questions.

"Can I replace a Temporary Mage (Student faction Spell) with a permanent Mage using the Archmage's Study?" is the current one we're waiting on an answer for.

Really enjoyable game, just some annoying wording/ruling stuff on BGG.

The "highest influence breaks ties" bit is incredibly relevant in the game. Most of our playthroughs have been down to tiebreaker differentials to determine who got the last few votes and won.

Vaclav

Was able to play 2 games of Argent the Consortium this week, 4 person set up, different groups each time. Wow, serious potential for cut-throat worker placement and the game is crunchy as all get out, but very fun. So many parts of the game have dual sides with different functions that replayability and diversity is staggering. Definatly not a light weight game, but if you have a smart game group I highly recommend this game. The anime style art is amazing too, should have gotten the art book.
Had missed it, sounds fun and exciting - either of you get the Expansion? Definitely putting the base game on the buylist, wondering how essential the Xpac is from the getgo.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We're going to play with the expansion pack tonight. Got it with the Kickstarter. Haven't used it before this. Looking forward to being able to assassinate the voters.