Board Games

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I've been playing Dominion online since I saw you mention it...and I either suck or they have the computer on god-mode to try to get you to buy boosts. Or both.

Anyway...I have the option of playing Descent or Imperial Assault this weekend. I'm leaning towards Star Wars, but I'd be willing to go with Descent if it's considered the better game. Any thoughts?

Also, what other games have good representations online? I used to play Catan online, but can't remember the site now. I know of a place to play Werewolf and I found the Dominion game...anything else good in the browser?
In my opinion Imperial Assault is the better game. That being said they are extremely similar and which ever theme you like better will make for a better play experience.

moontayle

Golden Squire
IA is like Descent 2.5. You really can't go wrong with either of them but IA is my personal preference because I have a Star Wars addiction.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Didn't get to play Firefly but we did playAmazon.com: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition: Toys GamesOverall great game we played it multiple times back to back and the variations on how it plays out keeps things exciting. Down sides include you need a big space due to how the game map builds which is clunky at best, also the game is so random you have very little control over what happens leaving almost nothing to strategy.

Also played more Smashup after picking up a few expansions it is quickly turning into my groups favorite game, we started using a D20 as a counter for the bases that have 10+ power on it, this kept pace moving quickly instead of having to do the simple math everytime.

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I have been playing a new TCG called Force of Will that came out in the United States about two weeks ago. Seems to be catching on at some local gaming stores around me. Pretty fun game, kind of like a mix of Hearthstone and Magic The Gathering. The art on the cards are fantastic. The game's origin is from Japan but has a big player base in Europe and Australia.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Finally had a chance to play my copy of X-com last night, ran through the tutorial difficulty (which turns out is a full game, but turns 1 and 2 have full stops to teach you how to play).

First off, we actually won, but I think we got very lucky to do so. We definitely would have not been able to survive another round and it took some good rolls on every job to make sure we didn't die.

I really enjoyed it. To be fair, I like co-op games, but I am the person that tends to be the "general" that can kind of ruin the game for other people. I try my best not to be, but I can't always help it. The timer in this game really cuts down on that. You barely have time to manage your own shit, let alone bust into every one else's. I was the commander, so the budget was my job, which meant I could dictate other people's choices somewhat, but I couldn't micromanage anyone. It was mostly "you can use one scientist per research this turn" or "sure, you can add an extra soldier" or "risk more, I'm gonna have some extra cash to buy back dead stuff this turn".

All in all, I really enjoyed it. It was very difficult, and I can't wait to play it again (though 4 player game nights are fairly rare for me, so I don't know when it will happen).

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Games that work for two people:

Firefly is an awesome game and well balanced, but it takes a huge setup space and is somewhat complex. I strongly recommend it and all of its expansions, however.

The X-Com game is fun and nerve wracking, but a little cumbersome to play with the tablet interface part. It does make for a good two person experience, however.

DC Heroes is a fun simple card game and all of the expansions have just made it more fun.

If you can find a copy of it, Runebound is a lot of fun in a Talasman kind of way.

Thunderstone is also a great card game that works with two and is fairly simple to setup. Lots of expansions, though.

Newer Games wife and I have played (or ones that are for sale cheap on amazon):
Penny Arcade is on sale super cheap and is a fun typical Cryptozoic deck building game. If you know the source material, its worth picking up.

King of New York is a very simple game that is a ton of fun. The kind of game casual board gamers enjoy.

Imperial Assault is a lot of fun, both in head to head and campaign mode, but somewhat complex for casuals.

Blue Sun expansion really added a lot of cool stuff to Firefly and the new stand alone ship they added is fun if you are into being a pirate.

Pro tip for people with lots of board games:
Broken Token is a company that makes laser cut inserts for games that make the boxes able to handle all of the expansions. So far, I have gotten their kits for BSG, DC Heroes, 7 Wonders, Smash Up, and one or two other games. Its really awesome how they set it up so that all the BSG expansions fit in one single box, plus it makes setup of the games far easier. Definitely worth a look for people who play a lot of board games.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Got to play Firefly and Witcher for the 1st time last night. Firefly is just dead on amazing! The only downside I can see is you need a BIG fucking table to play it on. We also drew alot of the 10+ misbehavin' cards at the beginning of the game. Owch! Can not even begin to see how this will play with all the expansions. To much stuff on the table, and yet I still want to try!

The Witcher is a very different sort of game. Ultra low interaction game and needs more cards and monsters (expansion) like Eldritch Horror did when it first came out. It feels almost like some kind of "speed" game that you would play when you are looking for a lite and fast game to kill some time. With some expansions (FFG game, maybe...) I think it could really shine, will have to see.

Anyone played Cavernia yet?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Got to play Firefly and Witcher for the 1st time last night. Firefly is just dead on amazing! The only downside I can see is you need a BIG fucking table to play it on. We also drew alot of the 10+ misbehavin' cards at the beginning of the game. Owch! Can not even begin to see how this will play with all the expansions. To much stuff on the table, and yet I still want to try!

The Witcher is a very different sort of game. Ultra low interaction game and needs more cards and monsters (expansion) like Eldritch Horror did when it first came out. It feels almost like some kind of "speed" game that you would play when you are looking for a lite and fast game to kill some time. With some expansions (FFG game, maybe...) I think it could really shine, will have to see.

Anyone played Cavernia yet?
You mean Caverna? If you do it's fun. Probably one of the top 5 games to come out in the past year or two. It's stepping pretty close to a remake of one of the best games around though so that's not really saying much. Like he took Agricola and improved on some of the shitty parts. If you like Euro's it's well worth the play.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Was planning to give Telestrations a try this weekend but apparently it's completely sold out in Australia.
Going to try and make my own copy using notepads and pictionary cards.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Was planning to give Telestrations a try this weekend but apparently it's completely sold out in Australia.
We do a combination of telestrations and cards against humanity.. it gets dirty quick.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not sure if it was posted in this thread or if I saw it on reddit, but I've been hearing a game "Snake Oil" is leaps and bounds better than CAH

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
You mean Caverna? If you do it's fun. Probably one of the top 5 games to come out in the past year or two. It's stepping pretty close to a remake of one of the best games around though so that's not really saying much. Like he took Agricola and improved on some of the shitty parts. If you like Euro's it's well worth the play.
Can you explain this a bit better? I consider Agricola a terrible game simply because of the food mechanic in the game. Either you are lucky enough to not have to worry about food, or you spend the entire game doing virtually nothing but trying to get enough food so you don't take begging cards.

On that note, you can have some fun just not feeding your people and just taking the begging cards. You lose, but it makes other players scramble when you take "their" supplies because you just want to build and grow stuff rather than win.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the people you know are the least bit fun, Telestrations will have you all falling over laughing. Try Amazon.com and express ship.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Can you explain this a bit better? I consider Agricola a terrible game simply because of the food mechanic in the game. Either you are lucky enough to not have to worry about food, or you spend the entire game doing virtually nothing but trying to get enough food so you don't take begging cards.

On that note, you can have some fun just not feeding your people and just taking the begging cards. You lose, but it makes other players scramble when you take "their" supplies because you just want to build and grow stuff rather than win.
How is it luck? You place your dude on a spot if you need something. There is no luck in Euro games, just strategy. If you don't like Agricola though then you won't like Caverna. They are similar games both designed by the same designer.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I played Evolution on Thursday night and won both games using different strategies each game. It had a lot of unique elements to it that made it interesting...each player had to put a hidden card into the pot at the start of each turn to determine how much food was available for all the species, so as you were trying to manage how many species you controlled along with their populations, body sizes, and traits...you also had to make contingency plans in case there wasn't enough food available.

The game constantly kept my brain active...there was really no downtime where I wasn't trying to strategize and plan my next moves. I really enjoyed it, but I feel like it was missing something that I can't put my finger on that keeps me from wanting to add it to my collection. Very little is left to luck aside from what trait cards you're dealt each turn. I think I found some combinations early on that would be hard to improve upon though, so I guess I worry that it would get boring as I play it more and more. I'd recommend giving it a try, though.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does look kind of interesting in a light Forbidden Island/Desert kind of way.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I actually caught it when there was a spot open at the Monster level, so I'm going to get to design one of the monsters. I was going to cancel if they didn't get the upgraded card quality stretch goal, but they've hit that now, so I've been kicking around ideas for the last couple hours. I think I've settled on what I want to do...we'll see if they like the idea or not.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I actually caught it when there was a spot open at the Monster level, so I'm going to get to design one of the monsters. I was going to cancel if they didn't get the upgraded card quality stretch goal, but they've hit that now, so I've been kicking around ideas for the last couple hours. I think I've settled on what I want to do...we'll see if they like the idea or not.
Whatever it is, have Rerolled in the name, and have a tranny reveal attached to it somehow.