Board Games

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've seen several people in this thread mention Yearly/Monthly board game allowances. How much do you guys budget? I usually just get something, play it a few times, go nuts buying the expansions, then break it out rarely when I get a chance to game. I've spent ~$300 on Netrunner this year (Just started it, met some regulars, so bought a lot to catch up) and maybe ~$50-100 on random other stuff. Set, Pixel Tactics, Age of War...smaller stuff.
$100 Board Game, $100 Digital (console/PC) Games budget monthly - and I let them draw on the other on slow months for one or the other.

There's often excess I end up throwing into long term savings or such though.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Ideally I'd like to buy no more than a boardgame a month so around $600 a year. Then again I only started really collecting a year and a half ago so I imagine once my collection has a little bit of everything I won't buy as much. I've cut back heavily on my PC gaming spending but I basically buy every "must have" game like GTA V, Witcher 3, etc along with Hearthstone DLC. Then I'll throw some party games in there to play with friends.

Unfortunately, Kickstarter usually sells for more than MSRP just for the exclusives.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
That game has me so torn. I love Eric Lang but not CMON. The good news is I am sure someone in my group grabbed it so I can play without giving CMON more money.

Someone bring me up to speed with CMON please ? Never bought minis before and they seem to be giving away a huge amount of them as free bonuses with this KS and the design on them is stunning (12 hours to go and hoping Fenrir gets unlocked.).

Have they previously screwed folks over ?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
They don't screw over consumers. I mean, they lie to consumers because the owners are douche bags who are only concerned about making mad cash but they always deliver. For instance, during the Relic Knights Kickstarter (which I did not pledge mind you) In May of 2013 or so they put an update out that the mini's were on the boat. The mini's weren't even finished being made at that point.

They swim in exclusives. Why? They are not the company who sells the game, they are just a distribution channel. It gets people in right now and draws them in, the problem is real gamers don't always get in on the ground floor. What happens when you buy a game a year after the initial release? You're fucked if you want that exclusive and now you have to pay some dude on ebay 50 bucks for a single Zombicide figure. That doesn't help the company who makes the game, or the gamers, it helped CMON rake in big on the kickstarter though!

They have, over the years, been extremely shitty to other people in the game business. They are willing to step on anyone and everyone to get their way. I'm not going to sit here and pretend they are the only ones. Steve Jackson literally steals ideas that are submitted to him and publishes them without giving people royalties. There are others as well. CMON is part of everything that is bad with this business.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Tanks Arcaus, I never knew any of that.

Kind of torn now - on one hand it sounds like all the extras are more collectible than I thought making it an even better investment, but on the other hand understand how much it sucks for folks who buy it later on.

edit : So it hit the final stretch goal 6 hours before the end of the KS. Epic looking model of Fenrir. Looked into what you said Arcaus and I'd be surprised if this model alone didn't more than pay for the whole game.

Blood Rage by CoolMiniOrNot Kickstarter

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
My latest haul:

Catan: Explorers and Pirates - Haven't had the chance to play it yet but just from reading through the instructions I can tell that combining Cities and Knights with this will make for some really awesome games. The board is huge if you use all the tiles!

7 Wonders: Cities - Haven't played this yet either, but anything to add some spice to the base game is good. I feel like the base game is very limited (this may be because I have only ever played the game with three players so I still haven't seen half the cards). I'm looking forward to some more options with Cities, and eventually Leaders.

Lords of Waterdeep - I really enjoy this so far. It's a basic worker placement game, with almost no other mechanics. I own Agricola and this is like a lighter version of it but different enough that I feel they don't really cross over too much. I'm excited to play it with 3+ players, as playing it with 2 seems pretty straightforward and easy.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got our first chance to play Argent with a full group (5) tonight, holds up even better IMO with a 5 man than it did in a 2. Such a good game, I think the absolute top of my list was I to make one.

The Muze_sl

shitlord
9 days left in theMyth Expansion Set Kickstarter.

The best way to describe Myth is like Decent without the need for a dedicated DM (Since all the game systems are handled by "AI"). Originally, when the game came out it suffered from a poor user manual which is the main criticism of the game. So it took the community a couple months to get everything in working order. The final product is really fun. Part of the KS is version 2.0 of the manual which was written by someone from FFG and makes the game WAY more accessible.

I've purchased the base game recently and have been playing it with my gaming group. This Kickstarter is for the game's first two expansions. You can purchase the base game and both expansions at the Hero level. It's a little steep but if you are at all interested you HAVE to get it via Kickstarter. It will cost you 2 to 3x as much (maybe more) if you try to get all of the components being offered at retail. Check it out (BECAUSE I WANT MY STRECH GOALS) because it's good.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
On the Hero level, it says Myth base game, Myth 2nd edition materials, and "+ Undead." Explain? Because from what I can tell, for $100 extra all you get is the base game, which I'm sure I could find for less than $100... pending what this "Undead" is.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Shows that you get 5 of those "mini?" expansions as well.

Edit: I'm looking at the pictures, the pledges on the right hand side are confusing which is why I love it when they add a picture for us males.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Shows that you get 5 of those "mini?" expansions as well.

Edit: I'm looking at the pictures, the pledges on the right hand side are confusing which is why I love it when they add a picture for us males.
I'm speaking of the difference between Minion(120) level, and Hero(220) level. All I can see is you get the base game, and whatever "Undead" is. Just wondering what the latter consists of, if Muze knows.

-edit- Ohhh, I see what you mean. In the picture on the left it lists 5 expansion pack thingers, of 3 different types. I guess those are expansions previously released? If so, I guess the Hero level is worthwhile for someone who owns nothing.

Tin Man_sl

shitlord
Would you recommend Myth to someone who already owns some dungeon crawler board games? Got Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, and one of the D&D games already (which I plan to sell as it's too basic for my tastes).

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I think shadows is a better myth.

Anyone pick up cthulhu wars? 199.99 for the base game, only thing I regret not kickstarting

The Muze_sl

shitlord
On the Hero level, it says Myth base game, Myth 2nd edition materials, and "+ Undead." Explain? Because from what I can tell, for $100 extra all you get is the base game, which I'm sure I could find for less than $100... pending what this "Undead" is.
Yeah, the Hero level is $100 more for the base game + bones (Undead boss encounter) + 4 souless (2 captains in each pack) + 20 shamblers (10 skeleton minions in each pack). Bones + Souless + Shamblers would retail go for $80 retail or $50 as an add-on via this Kickstarter. There is an undead giant mini boss in the base game named Yardu who spawns Souless. Souless I think can spawn and/or resurrect shamblers so the encounter can get kinda wild. It's the cheapest you can reasonably find the base game + all the undead monsters. With all the stretch goals we are unlocking you are going to end up with a LOT of content for the Hero level pledge.

The Muze_sl

shitlord
Would you recommend Myth to someone who already owns some dungeon crawler board games? Got Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, and one of the D&D games already (which I plan to sell as it's too basic for my tastes).
Yeah, especially with the expansion content it is really going to round out the experience. It's best played over many sessions like a D&D campaign. It's light years ahead of the D&D games in terms of variety / content / progression. I like it better than Decent because it doesn't require a DM. I haven't played Shadows of Brimstone yet, but from what I hear the AI, combat, and boss encounters are better in Myth.

The new expansions offer nice class customization. For example you can take your Acolyte and level him up to either a Medicant (Priest) or Necromancer and customize your combat deck in multiple ways. The Necro can summon undead pets which are all getting plastic minis via stretch goals. Same with the Marksman that can level up to a Ranger and end up with a large cat pet with a mini that's already been unlocked via stretch goal.

It's also very customizable so you can use the pre-built campaigns, sandbox adventuring / questing, the new expansion modules. You can make your own campaigns or find some made by the community as well.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Totally 2nd hand info, but many reviews I have seen about Myth original said rules were pretty incomplete. Many instances of player can do X, but no explanation of how to resolve X effect. Not knocking the game, never played it. Most reviews also said it has the potential to be an amazing game, but felt like only the first half of the rule book, with the general gameplay, got completed, but alot of the nitty gritty special effects/abilities got left out or missed.

Anyone actually played it?

The Muze_sl

shitlord
Totally 2nd hand info, but many reviews I have seen about Myth original said rules were pretty incomplete. Many instances of player can do X, but no explanation of how to resolve X effect. Not knocking the game, never played it. Most reviews also said it has the potential to be an amazing game, but felt like only the first half of the rule book, with the general gameplay, got completed, but alot of the nitty gritty special effects/abilities got left out or missed.

Anyone actually played it?
Yes, there is a $6 Kickstarter pledge which gives you the 2.0 rule book and patched hero cards. They hired someone from FFG to rework the manual and it is night and day better. That was really the only draw back of the base game on launch. You can also download the 2.0 manual PDF for free on their site.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone play the X wing miniature game or Armada? Thinking about getting either the X wing core set and some add ons or Armada for the house and maybe incorporating them somehow into Imperial Assault, or even just back drops, in my game group's custom scenarios.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I was almost tempted to pick up the x-wing core set, but don't really have a table big enough for it. It also seems like a bit of a nickle and dime deal with all the mini expansions that I'll be too tempted to pick up. Already got sucked into the Imperial Assault ones and trying to work out the order on which I'll buy them.