Board Games

Got some friends of mine to agree to start branching out on what we play. We get together once a week and normally just play video games or Risk (standard). There are usually 4 of us, but sometimes up to 6. Anyone able to offer some recommendations? I've read about Munchkin and Arkham Horror, and both look interesting. Like I said, the only board game we've ever really played as a group is Risk, so I think I should obviously look into the Legacy version, but I'm looking to expand beyond just Risk for a while. Complex rules are fine, as we'll likely play it enough to grasp the smaller details of a game, though it would preferably be something we can play in 3 or 4 hours.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Got some friends of mine to agree to start branching out on what we play. We get together once a week and normally just play video games or Risk (standard). There are usually 4 of us, but sometimes up to 6. Anyone able to offer some recommendations? I've read about Munchkin and Arkham Horror, and both look interesting. Like I said, the only board game we've ever really played as a group is Risk, so I think I should obviously look into the Legacy version, but I'm looking to expand beyond just Risk for a while. Complex rules are fine, as we'll likely play it enough to grasp the smaller details of a game, though it would preferably be something we can play in 3 or 4 hours.
Ill throw up a review of Legacy after we play on Friday.

Look in to some old games to. My brother bought a copy of Shogun off Ebay, that game is awesome as hell. Not sure why they don't make it anymore. I think his copy was like $150.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Then Arkham Horror is for you. Main difference from Risk is going to be switching from a competitive game to a cooperative one.

Vinsent

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Flying Frog games (Last Night on Earth, Fortune and Glory, A Touch of Evil) are good 4-6 player games.
Some others that work well too:
Betrayal at House on the Hill, Robo Rally, Arabian Nights...

I actually already own last night on earth, but I've never played it. I'll give that a try this week. A friend of mine is going to lend me Arkham Horror as well. Thanks for the recommendations!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So I've won our first 3 games of Twilight Imperium... game just tends to start swinging my way and nobody can stop me or someone grossly overlooks something and I win abruptly. Think a couple of my friends might kinda hate the game now as a result.

It's not my fault if everyone's carriers can move 2 spaces and you leave a 2-planet system 100% unprotected giving me a 3 victory point objective and my friend's excuse is "oh, I can't keep up with everyone's techs". Sure, kinda douchey to wait until everyone passed to jump over and take it so nobody can take it back, but that's not my fault either
tongue.png

Our first game nobody realized why I kept taking the Imperial Strategy, as my VP kept ticking up. Got it 3x and some easy early Public Objectives for the win.

Fun game, keep tweaking and adding more to it to try and improve game times (like artifacts).

Keep trying to find more ways to make politics more meaningful. We had an entire game where you couldn't have more than 2 of the same ship type in a sector, that was awesome for keeping arms races to a minimum. Completely changed the game.

Looking forward tot he Shards of the Throne expansion to be reprinted Q2 this year.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
My group played our first game of Risk Legacy tonight. I am blown away by how fun it was. Changing the board as you go a long really adds a ton of depth to a game that is already really good on its own. Waiting a week to play again is going to be brutal.

I won the first game and founded a major city named Halas in Alaska.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Probably played 5 or 6 games of battlestar galactica now. game is fucking awesome if you love backstabbing and politics. We have both expansions, but have only used the Pegasus portion of that expansion (humans have it hard enough without the new caprica board).

My group played our first game of Risk Legacy tonight. I am blown away by how fun it was. Changing the board as you go a long really adds a ton of depth to a game that is already really good on its own. Waiting a week to play again is going to be brutal.

Shit, I will NEED to get this then. Risk has always been the go to game for my group, and a way to liven it up would be fantastic.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Anyone in the San Diego area interested in getting together to play some board games. I have 15 games now and growing. Current games are Risk, Risk 2210AD, Cosmic Encounter, Smallworld, Evo, Dixit, Smash Up, Mice and Mystics, Thunderstone, Munchkin, King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, Lords of Waterdeep, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Werewolves of Millers Hollow. I am looking for folks who are easy going and don't hulk out when they lose or things don't go their way during a game. If you are a freak or have anger management issues please do not respond. I live near the Plaza Bonita mall for those who might happen to know the area.

Played two rounds of Last Night on Earth last night with some friends. Fucking loved it. The first round was pretty slow, as we were constantly looking up rules as we played. The second round was much smoother, with a few hiccups near the end when we argued about the wording on cards. Should be even better once my group comes to a consensus on how certain things work.

Vinsent

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let me know if you have any questions. I have played that game to death and I think have most of the rules stuff down.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thought I'd find this thread and dig it up, not that old but is a nice one.

Another expansion for Battlestar Galactica announced, Daybreak.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...idm=191&esem=1

Lately we've really taken to the deck building games and Pandemic. Started with Resident Evil, then we got the DC Deck Building Game (as we're kinda burnt out on Marvel Legendary at this point - expansion coming soon though), now playing the LOTR Dice building game, and someone picked up the LOTR deck building game for this weekend.

It looks like Twilight Imperium: Shards of the Throne has now been reprinted, as it's $70-80 less everywhere now.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I picked up Twilight Struggle this past weekend. Not sure why I took so long to get it, as its the best 2 player board game I've played. Ever. Super fun 2 player game, and the girlfriend mentioned she's been thinking about the game even when we aren't playing which is pretty rare for her. 7 games in now which is about 2 past where I usually get bored with games and I don't see us slowing down at all.

Picked up Mage Wars. Seems to have potential for the right people, although the gf wasn't super impressed with it and wanted to go back to Twilight Struggle. It seems to have unnecessary complexity with figuring out what traits do and shit, but there is some potential there for awesome. I look forward to playing more games.

I'll be playing Eclipse this weekend with some friends, mostly because I've been debating buying the game and asked them to bring it over so we could try it out. It seems interesting though, as does Terra Mystica.

Finally, I'm putting out feelers on getting a copy of Android Netrunner. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but I hadn't slept in 30 hours and didn't get into the deckbuilding at all. Enough people I trust seem to like it that I probably will as well and there are TONS of netrunner groups in Seattle. I could probably play every day of the week if I wanted, and regionals are coming in a month or so, so it seems like a good time to get into it.

Oh Finally (for real this time): I've also been enjoying Summoner Wars. It is a solid 2 player game that is surprisingly more balanced than I expected. GF played for a while until we picked up Twilight Struggle and I've been playing on the ipad since. Super fun
smile.png

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Terra Mystica is our new favorite. Better with 4 or 5 players than with 3 though (haven't played with 2 yet).

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I'll second Netrunner i am dreadful at deckbuilding in general but this game is so much fun. Im actually looking at picking up Game of thrones LCG (and a few expansions) to piggy back on my Netrunner addiction.

i just picked up Relic (reskinned talisman) and it suffers from the same fate as talisman relying on pure luck and not very much skill. the board/artwork and pieces are all high quality though, and its a fun game you can drink/play without much thought.

hopefully playing Game of thrones board game (2nd edition) soon i just finished reading the rules and it seems like a more complicated Risk taking place in Westeros, seems fun with a large group of people and has some of the same backstabbing mechanics as battlestar galactica (randomly helping other players or denying support in tests of strength).

also they just released "eclipse" on the Iphone, really hoping they bring that over to android soon.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Finally got a copy of Space Cadet. Game is awesome chaotic fun.

It's basically FTL with your friends running the different systems.

Bit of a learning curve but even that part is fun. There was a lot of "God dammit your flew us into an asteroid field and we are going to fast to lock on the tractor beam!" type stuff.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
If you guys like risk, axis and allies 1914 just came out I'm a fan of the series and this version is pretty good couple playthroughs in.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider

Yeah Risk Legacy is cool as hell. I like that it encourages multiple games with the same group of people (getting to name cities after yourself, number of wins affecting turn order, etc.)

I got to play Crude again and I have decided to buy it. It is such a good game. Also thinking about buying Manhattan Project.