Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I am constantly in the, I should buy dice throne, I shouldn't buy it. Etc for dice throne.

I will second Hateyou's comment that Dice Throne is my most played game for both regular board game players and casuals. It is very welcoming and as long as you don't stick a newbie with the engineer or huntress they are going to have a great time. Also, the organization of it (especially Season 2) should be the gold standard for all board games. It is so easy to just take out and play compared to so many other titles.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I will second Hateyou's comment that Dice Throne is my most played game for both regular board game players and casuals. It is very welcoming and as long as you don't stick a newbie with the engineer or huntress they are going to have a great time. Also, the organization of it (especially Season 2) should be the gold standard for all board games. It is so easy to just take out and play compared to so many other titles.

Yeah, that is commented on so much and I completely agree. The design and organization is perfect. My gaming buddy has played it probably 15 times and says something about how awesome the packaging is every time “I just can’t get over how good they did with this design.” I met the two main designers and they were so proud of it. I told them they should be. Best storage of any game I’ve seen.

• 1Solidarity

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, star realms was a no brainer from reading everyone's responses so I went ahead and ordered it.

I didn't realize that Season 1 was going to be up to par with season 2, I thought you had to keep them as standalone. That's really good news (well not for my wallet, because I'm going to buy them all).

I guess I have to consider Aeons End too because everyone recommends this one. I guess my only coop experience has been Pandemic, which while pretty appropriate for the time, I found to be kind of boring. Maybe it was the game, maybe the coop aspect. I'll look into this one though.

Wondering if anyone has played Dice Forge? That one looks interesting too, and maybe more up her alley.

Again thanks Hateyou and everyone else, you guys are really helpful in this boring-as-hell time.. board games and beer / wine are the only thing keeping us sane.

Star Realms is a great little deckbuilder that can be pretty swingy due to the random market place. The fact from start to finish it's 10-15 minutes is perfect and easily its biggest strength.

For Dominion I would skip the base game. It's not really that much more complex than Star Realms and to me just feels like too much setup for what it offers. Against traditional suggestions I'd say go for either Renaissance(less complex?) or Empires(more complex?). If you can play Star Realms you can play any box of Dominion so I wouldn't worry about it being too much to take on. Dominion has a lot of expansions but I think your money is best spent getting one of these two and buying another game. Empires has more interesting decisions that can affect how you guys interact with eachother and the market - Deck builders aren't super interactive so even that little extra in Empires helps with that aspect. Note you'll need to buy the base cards (money, victory point, curse cards) cards separately.

Aeon's End is my favourite game, though significantly more setup than Dominion. It's "video game boss fight" the card game. Deck building games are amazing when it's your turn. Watching others' giant engines in action is unexciting. Aeon's End keeps you engaged, even when it's not your turn. The losses can be punishing, but the wins are that much sweeter. Again, I'd skip the first one and start with at least War Eternal. All the big boxes are self contained and can mix completely with the other big boxes (other than Legacy).

7 Wonders Duel is an awesome two player only game. If you spend a lot of board game time as just the two of you, I'd say it's an essential game.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I am intrigued by this Dice Throne and want to know more.
What's the best option to dip toe in while also getting best value?

Chances are I'll try it on tts to see if I actually like but but keen to buy it. even more so, Adventures, the coop version

faille

Molten Core Raider
If I had to guess, it's that Dominion is also fairly non-interactive, so you really don't lose much by going to the online game, which also streamlines all your shuffling and bookkeeping. If you have access to all that for a relatively non-interactive game, why bother playing it in person?
pretty much this.
When you can get games done in 5 min on an app, it's hard to go back to the physical 30+ minute version. especially when there's not a huge amount to be gained from it, such as player interaction.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I am intrigued by this Dice Throne and want to know more.
What's the best option to dip toe in while also getting best value?

Chances are I'll try it on tts to see if I actually like but but keen to buy it. even more so, Adventures, the coop version

Search dice throne on amazon and buy one of the character packs. I’d suggest this one. These two characters are in the middle in terms of complexity. Buy the gunslinger/samurai for least complex. hunter/tactician for more complex. Artificer/pirate for most complex.

Seraph Vs Vampire Lord - Dice Throne: Season Two Board Game

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
So no base game that's needed? Can just build up a collection by buying the character packs?

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Since you guys hype it up so much I was checking out Aeon's End and noticed a legacy option, would you guys recommend it over the base game(s)?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So no base game that's needed? Can just build up a collection by buying the character packs?

Those four packs are the base game. You can own as many or few as you want, they’re all balanced together.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Since you guys hype it up so much I was checking out Aeon's End and noticed a legacy option, would you guys recommend it over the base game(s)?

If you like legacy games, yeah it wasn’t bad. My friend and I had fun with it but we prefer the other versions because you can set them up multiple ways, play the same bad guy over and over with different characters and setups. etc without the need to buy reset packs and stuff. I also felt bad with how much trash there was with the legacy game. So much shit you throw away.

You can also mix and match from the different sets and you can’t really do that with the legacy characters because they’re more powerful than the other sets and they didn’t playtest them together like they do with the core games and expansions.

Edit: GeneralF GeneralF I would recommend a non legacy set first to get familiar with how everything works. Then if you do like legacy games, go for it. If not, skip it and stick with cores.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is the “all in” Kickstarter version of dice throne s2. The s1 rerelease is in this format too. There is not extra content over buying the four character packs like I linked earlier, it’s just a great all in one storage box for the full set of characters.

739B9ACA-9655-44E0-9D29-1A31914DF0A9.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Dice Throne is the number 1 board game right behind Clank in the Pyksel Home. Season 2 was such a fantastic upgrade over the first in terms of packaging/presentation. We're very excited to see what transpires in Dice Throne Adventures once it arrives.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Aeons End is amazing deckbuilder AND co-op. If you wanna try a good, but not highly known, competitive deck builder, check out Heart of Crown.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone given Kluster a try? Looks like it could be a great holiday game to break out for the family. Saw an add for it and am thinking of ordering it.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
That looks cool. I looked it up on the Firestorm website but unfortunately they are based in the UK, so shipping to the US basically doubles the price of the game. I looked it up on Amazon and they have it listed but it looks different than the one you linked....it comes in a white canvas bag instead of a box. I can't tell if that's just an earlier version or a knockoff version or what.

I wonder what the best option would be for those of us here in the US. Maybe need to find it at a FLGS.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
That looks cool. I looked it up on the Firestorm website but unfortunately they are based in the UK, so shipping to the US basically doubles the price of the game. I looked it up on Amazon and they have it listed but it looks different than the one you linked....it comes in a white canvas bag instead of a box. I can't tell if that's just an earlier version or a knockoff version or what.

I wonder what the best option would be for those of us here in the US. Maybe need to find it at a FLGS.
I went ahead and ordered it from their website. $20+$6 shipping.

Edit: Checked my email and it already shipped. Coming out of Columbus, OH and should be here before the end of the week.

Maul

Dental Dammer
This is the “all in” Kickstarter version of dice throne s2. The s1 rerelease is in this format too. There is not extra content over buying the four character packs like I linked earlier, it’s just a great all in one storage box for the full set of characters.

View attachment 305318
Kinda sad I didnt go for this :(

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"• The final title debuting from Lookout on Oct. 22, 2020 is a giant one: Hallertau from Uwe Rosenberg. In this 1-4 player game, players each have a field in which they'll plant and harvest crops, a stable in which they'll tend to sheep, and five craft buildings that they'll progress in order to "expand" their community center, which gives them more workers to use each round."

HallertauMeme.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity