Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
"• The final title debuting from Lookout on Oct. 22, 2020 is a giant one: Hallertau from Uwe Rosenberg. In this 1-4 player game, players each have a field in which they'll plant and harvest crops, a stable in which they'll tend to sheep, and five craft buildings that they'll progress in order to "expand" their community center, which gives them more workers to use each round."

View attachment 310618

Had to google that guys name and did not realize how many of his games I've played over the years. Will have to check that one out.

Got my copy of Kluster a couple days ago and so far have played with another adult and about 5 kids between mine and their friends/nephews ranging from 1st to 10th grade and it was pretty fun no matter what group. Don't think it will dethrone Nine or Rummicube for most played during holidays but I think it will be up there with Blockus and Ticket to Ride.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This only has a day left if anyone has been waffling or hasn’t seen it yet.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Gen Con online is going on starting today so there's various livestreams and stuff going on. Chip Theory Games streaming now. They previewed the treasure chest storage thing, talked about the design process, flaws with cardboard, etc. Looks very nice, they ended up making it out of MDF and magnets. Ate into their profits but it looks fantastic. @Seananigans Hatorade Hatorade

Has some slick labels and chip dividers to organize everything too. Awesome showpiece for this game. With all the extra materials, weight, and cost it went from the $75 price point on Kickstarter to $120 (shipped) on their site lol

Just now getting around to organizing this beast!
60D6A6F2-97EA-435E-AFC0-C3567A369E58.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I'm on my 3rd Too Many Bones Trove Chest replacement because it has arrived damaged each time. You're one of the lucky ones if yours arrived intact.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm on my 3rd Too Many Bones Trove Chest replacement because it has arrived damaged each time. You're one of the lucky ones if yours arrived intact.
Right top side was a little broken, messaged them on how to fix it. Wood glue and some clamps it 100% now.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Got it all in, now what to do with all the boxes and outdated cards and sheets. Some good artwork and quality materials seems like a waste to just throw it out.
E0D83A32-07BA-4442-9640-067769C8C73C.jpeg

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I store them until I am certain that I won't sell the game for at least a few years, them I throw them away. I only keep boxes that I might need for sales reasons.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played some games over the break -

Biblios - Quick and engaging, never won but wanted to rematch and try again : Good quality in that
Boss Monster - Quick and basic. Feels incomplete. Fun references.
Caverna - Too much going on. Better experience if scaled down. Hours and hours long and a good deal of it didn't have fun. But next day woke thinking of strategies for next time, so value in that.
Pandemic: The Cure - Dice version of Pandemic, plays fast because lose fast. Not sure how much depth it has, but was fun enough and definitely would play again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider

Biblios - Quick and engaging, never won but wanted to rematch and try again : Good quality in that
Caverna - Too much going on. Better experience if scaled down. Hours and hours long and a good deal of it didn't have fun. But next day woke thinking of strategies for next time, so value in that.
Pandemic: The Cure - Dice version of Pandemic, plays fast because lose fast. Not sure how much depth it has, but was fun enough and definitely would play again.
My wife loves Caverna, bought "A Feast for Odin" by the same developer. We've heard its basically a better version of Caverna, but we've had it a couple of years and still haven't cracked it open >_<

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My wife loves Caverna, bought "A Feast for Odin" by the same developer. We've heard its basically a better version of Caverna, but we've had it a couple of years and still haven't cracked it open >_<
Sounds like a typical marriage.

Let us know what happens when you finally crack open the Caverna and get to enjoy A Feast For Odin.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Feast for Odin is good but probably simpler strategy wise than Caverna or Agricola, in that it's a lot more forgiving. But mechanically a lot more complicated. I've played mine a couple of times, the expansion improves it quite a lot, but it's really hard to get to the table these days.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Boss monster has been a pretty popular warm up game for my group (and new one-timers). But I also have everything for it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been getting back into Terraforming Mars. Played a couple games with all expansions other than Council (just bogs the game and dumb with only 3 players) and it holds up well. Probably one of the better games for giving people in dead last a good time, because they still have plenty to do and there is not a ton of kingmaking.

Also been sneaking in some games of the new edition of Eclipse. Its not as crunchy as Twilight Imperium, but it has the same feel without the complexity. There is also more of a gold rush explorer aspect to it, along with more combat incentivized. Its an amazing bargain for the scope of the game.

Main project lately has been getting old classic games into box organizers, especially Rebellion which the wife and I want to play over the holidays.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been getting back into Terraforming Mars. Played a couple games with all expansions other than Council (just bogs the game and dumb with only 3 players) and it holds up well. Probably one of the better games for giving people in dead last a good time, because they still have plenty to do and there is not a ton of kingmaking.

Also been sneaking in some games of the new edition of Eclipse. Its not as crunchy as Twilight Imperium, but it has the same feel without the complexity. There is also more of a gold rush explorer aspect to it, along with more combat incentivized. Its an amazing bargain for the scope of the game.

Main project lately has been getting old classic games into box organizers, especially Rebellion which the wife and I want to play over the holidays.

i also dont like the Council expansion, we have them all and its the only one we dont use regularly. I agree 100% about it bogging down what is probably one of the more enjoyable games to play

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing Etherfields a lot lately. I like it a lot more than Tainted Grail, which I found to be repetitive, and more suitable for solo play. The story line in TG is top notch however.

Playing Etherfields is like they took the best ideas from various games. It has the 7th Continent vibe because you are flipping over tiles and exploring them based on the text encounters on them (wanna touch the golden altar? Pay 2 action, read x-xxx from the script book). It also has elements from AHLCG in how the players cards work. You can use cards for their colored Intent, which is similar to AH's system with skill checks.

I think what gets me the most is how well the artwork is done. The game is very engrossing, plays well with multiple players, and isn't too complicated (compared to something like Gloomhaven) for the non-board game enthusiast, which is my family. The miniatures are well done as well.

The gameboard is AIDS though, it's very poorly laid out. You wonder if they actually playtested it. It should be oriented horizontally, but it is oriented vertically, with the 2 most used spots on the board at the very top and bottom......the text on the cards is small so you have to get up out of your chair at times to read the cards. After playing a while and understanding how the game flows, you are better off without the board altogether.

Still, it's one of the more engaging board games I have played in recent memories, and the campaign consists of 33 (?) main dreams/scenarios, each gaming sessions lasts about 2 hours I would say, so I should get 50+ hours of gaming from the main campaign alone.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Just got the shipping notice my Dice Throne Season 1 reprint and Adventures and it is already out for delivery today which is a wonderful surprise. Probably spent over 10 hours playing it last week with the family and sent my brother home with my original season 1 on Sunday so timing is really nice.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just got the shipping notice my Dice Throne Season 1 reprint and Adventures and it is already out for delivery today which is a wonderful surprise. Probably spent over 10 hours playing it last week with the family and sent my brother home with my original season 1 on Sunday so timing is really nice.
Yeah I’m ready. I still haven’t played s1 cause I knew a reprint would be in the works. I’m excited for it.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I’m ready. I still haven’t played s1 cause I knew a reprint would be in the works. I’m excited for it.

It just showed up and the packaging is exactly the same as S1 to the point that if it didn't have Season 1 written on the side you wouldn't be able to tell the two apart. Took a peak at the new classes and Treant is level 6 complexity and Ninja is 2. Hopefully will get to try it out this weekend with the kids and will probably save Adventure for an adult game night.

• 1Like