Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
They made a Stardew Valley 1-4 player coop game. My kids have more hours in that than Animal Crossing on 3ds and Switch combined so will snag it as an Easter gift for them. They do post a warning that the game is a bit long, 45 minutes per player, so not sure how much it will be in our rotation.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Going to introduce a few friends to Terra Mystica this weekend. While looking there was apparently a second expansion. Anyone ever play that one?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Man I missed playing Terra Mystica. We used to play online every night. Now that I'm going to get a different friend group into it, I started refreshing and getting my skills back in order by playing on Board Game Arena. Man I'm rusty

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Both are great. Really hoping for a gaia project expansion with some more races.

We've been trying out The Colonists the last two weeks, really having a good time with it. 5-6 hour game, but somehow doesn't manage to feel slow/long during play. The colonies everyone has access to are randomized at game start and make pretty huge changes to how the game plays.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
The colonist is one of my favourite games also but really hard to get to the table. I like that you can save progress between era but in practice I tend to just try and play a whole game in one sitting.

I also prefer to thjnk of those random colonies as guilds since it makes more sense to my mind.

Been playing beyond the sun lately and quite like it. It's basically Tech Tree the game. Quite steamlined and not to long to play (20m / player) but still has more than enough depth

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was treated at game night to Dominion: Nocturne
Dominion! What a blast from the past, how quaint, gameplay still holds up. Put so many hours into this game.
Nocturne is the 11th expansion. It has a grim fantasy vibe and adds a post buy phase called Night. Perhaps a bit of power creep, but was a wonky blast. Do recommend.

• 1Repost

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty happy with this game, even if I punted a few points the end (I dug h7 when I couldn't dwell, and that was retarded, because black used a worker to change it). This was against a pretty high elo lobby on the site. It was an auction, I started at 12, Swarmlings started at 18, Alch and Auren started at 30. So I had an 18 point deficit to make up on Alchemists to win the game.

1615966317353.png

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have been playing dice throne the past few weeks. Love all the options in characters we have now with both seasons.

Played DT Adventures for the first time last week. It’s quite a different game than normal DT but still really fun. We played five rounds, died once. I picked pyromancer, buddy playing seraph, so we have a tanky healer barely doing much damage and a glass cannon. Worked well, I was on the edge of dying every game while he was healing me and relying on me for massive nukes. All games we won were very close so they did a good job on balancing, just like the normal game. Only thing that feels odd is only having four or five of the level IV mobs while all the other levels have like 20. I’m guessing maybe the legacy pack opens up some more when you beat the game the first time but not sure yet as we haven’t got that far.

Haven’t played as boss vs boss 1v1 yet so not sure how that will go. Want to play through a full campaign first.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I've played 2 full games of DTA now, first time was as Moon Thief and Paladin, second time as Shadow Thief and Treant. We were playing with the Season 1 rerolled characters because those were all new to us (I have owned Season 2 for over year now).

Definitely some characters work better than others for coop. With Moon Thief and Paladin we kind of skated by, maybe also because it was our first time playing, but with Shadow Thief and Treant we just crushed it, wasn't really a challenge. I think we only used a single healing salve until the last fight. Having some sort of damage mitigation on your character definitely helps, and I have heard characters like Pyromancer, Barbarian, and Cursed Pirate are among the harder ones to use.

We had a lot of fun, the crawl levels definitely take longer than the boss levels....I would say crawl levels took us about 2 hours and boss levels an hour. I think a good pace would be to play a crawl and a boss level in one sitting, which would mean 4 total play sessions to finish a single adventure.

There is definitely a lack of the lvl IV mobs.....you will see repeats by the end, even once you open up the legacy materials, but there is obviously room for growth with the release of more DTA material sans new heroes.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of DTA, do you guys know where a bro could get a printable DTA campaign sheet? I'm confused as to why they don't have one available on their website, but for the life of me I can't find one *anywhere*, just some excel solutions. But I'd rather have a printed out one at the table.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Speaking of DTA, do you guys know where a bro could get a printable DTA campaign sheet? I'm confused as to why they don't have one available on their website, but for the life of me I can't find one *anywhere*, just some excel solutions. But I'd rather have a printed out one at the table.
scoresheet.dicethrone.com

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bro it says the url right on the score sheet itself lol

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Bro it says the url right on the score sheet itself lol

Wow seriously? I'm retarded. I spent like 30 minutes looking for one one day and just got pissed.

Thanks dudes! I always rely on FoH to curb my retardation.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
I have all the dice throne season 2 characters and my wife and I love it. Seriously considering DTA because my wife does not beat me very often and the coop aspect seems like something we could get into. We play aeons end and have a great time there.

The only place I can find DTA is on ebay right now , and it's way over the price on dice throne site. They're quoting $75 but backordered until Nov. On ebay I can get the kickstarter edition for $145 with the promo pack now. Is there a cheaper place for DTA right now that anyone has found, or is there some reason I should wait for the standard edition? $70 to get something I want now instead of 7 months from now doesn't seem too rediculous to me, however I've got a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the PS5 and Geforce scalpers and now resent anyone that's trying to sell goods for over MSRP :).

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Is the ebay version just for DTA, or does it by chance include season 1 rerolled? Because if it's for the latter, then $145 isn't a bad deal. If it's just for DTA, then yeah, that's like a 100% markup.

As much as I am enjoying DTA, I have plenty of other games atm to go through, I haven't even gotten to Aeon's End Outcasts, don't know if you have that yet since you mentioned you guys enjoy AE.

I would say that if you have other stuff to play, there is no rush to get DTA, get your preorder in and wait until November. I would rate DTA 8/10. I would only recommend paying scalper prices for DTA if DT is like one of your favorite games all time and you can't just get enough of it.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is the ebay version just for DTA, or does it by chance include season 1 rerolled? Because if it's for the latter, then $145 isn't a bad deal. If it's just for DTA, then yeah, that's like a 100% markup.

As much as I am enjoying DTA, I have plenty of other games atm to go through, I haven't even gotten to Aeon's End Outcasts, don't know if you have that yet since you mentioned you guys enjoy AE.

I would say that if you have other stuff to play, there is no rush to get DTA, get your preorder in and wait until November. I would rate DTA 8/10. I would only recommend paying scalper prices for DTA if DT is like one of your favorite games all time and you can't just get enough of it.
I agree with this. If it’s $145 for DTA and S1, go for it. If it’s just DTA...it’s not worth it, just wait. It’s not a bad game but it’s a $60-$70 game. It’s not the greatest co-op but it’s still fun. For games I own I’d rate Too Many Bones and Aeons End higher on the good co-op game scale that have some similar elements. DTA plays a lot differently than straight Dice Throne does, which I rate as the best 1v1 game I own.

• 1Like

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Thanks guys, always helpful here. I am leaning towards the same.. We've not even gotten passed the first Aeons End nemesis, I think we still have the crooked mask to beat, so I'll go ahead and do the backorder version for November of Dice Throne and maybe look into a few more expansions on Aeons or even the too many bones game (have seen this mentioned a few times before).

It's confusing as shit to me what AE expansion (or base game?) to go for next. I don't really care about story, and most recommendations seem to be based on story spoilers for other sets. I mean, if the story is crucial to the game we'd like to at least be aware of it, but if there's a story present in the base game, I've not paid attention to it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks guys, always helpful here. I am leaning towards the same.. We've not even gotten passed the first Aeons End nemesis, I think we still have the crooked mask to beat, so I'll go ahead and do the backorder version for November of Dice Throne and maybe look into a few more expansions on Aeons or even the too many bones game (have seen this mentioned a few times before).

It's confusing as shit to me what AE expansion (or base game?) to go for next. I don't really care about story, and most recommendations seem to be based on story spoilers for other sets. I mean, if the story is crucial to the game we'd like to at least be aware of it, but if there's a story present in the base game, I've not paid attention to it.
The Aeons End stuff all integrates pretty well together. Vanilla, War Eternal, New Age, as well as all the mini packs. Idk about outcasts. With all the content that does integrate well you’re looking at tons of monsters, card choices, and mages. Dozens of hours.

Legacy doesn’t integrate as well because it has some mechanics specific to it. I think mainly the mages are stronger in Legacy compared to the other games. And there may have been a few cards with mechanics specific to it but I may be misremembering.

There’s a ton of content that does integrate together just fine so I’d just treat Legacy by itself if you’re interested in a legacy experience. I wouldn’t recommend it until you have played the normal game quite a bit though because there’s a lot going on with changing rules during the course of the game, taking things in and out of the game, etc.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looking forward to board game nights w/ my friends resuming next month. The dynamic will be interesting, because after a year of Tabletop simulator nobody's going to want to setup a game for 45 minutes ever again, lol.

Right before the pandemic I bought a full set of Marvel Legendary cards for $200 - a steal - and now I never want to touch the things again due to the hassle of organizing and transporting them, lol. I love the system, but hate the setup/tear down of each game.