Board Games

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It's quite fun, and surprisingly challenging. Modular rooms with monster activation cards and such. Solid progression within one quest, fun times!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No campaign rules for it currently though, right? Just something close to 1E was for the normal play mode of it?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I really want to make a 100% 'You are a Cylon' loyalty deck in BSG and see how long it takes for people to notice.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm thinking about starting a new thread to act as a resource for reviews and discussions as well as a quick reference for youtube links since I don't have OP here

Would I be wasting my time or would you all be okay with a possible thread merger?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No campaign rules for it currently though, right? Just something close to 1E was for the normal play mode of it?
No campaign play, and I can't imagine it would be possible. You advance/progress way too much within a single quest for that to ever work in current design.

That said, you could always take the same party through multiple quests once they have them available, just to see if your party could complete all of them (resetting progress each time obviously).

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys. I just went through this thread last night and got kind of hyped by the idea of playing a boardgame. What would you recommend I play with 4-5 people that can be done in 1-2 hours? I was thinking Descent Second Edition or something along those lines. I've played Munchkins but I don't want the guys I work with to fucking hate each other.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Carcassonne is a pretty good choice. Simple rules and in my experience it appeals to pretty much everyone.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Settlers of Catan is a nice into boardgame also.
Really depends on your tastes and general level of skill.
Helps a huge amount to have at least one person who's familiar with whatever you play.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Spatacus is the best board game I have played in years. Takes a little over 2 hours to play.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Super Dungeon Explore and Zombicide are my favorites at the moment to play with people who aren't deep boardgamers. They are extremely easy to learn/teach and loads of fun.

If you want something with a bit more meat (or not co-op) then 7 Wonders (Card Drafting), Chaos in the Old World (land control, combat), Guilds of Cadwallon (Bidding), Hex Hex (Party), King of Tokyo (screw your neighbor/dice choice), A Touch of Evil (supernatural get the bad guy game) are all good and pretty light on rules.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played Citadels recently. Had a lot of fun with it, and it was easy to learn and cheap.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys. I just went through this thread last night and got kind of hyped by the idea of playing a boardgame. What would you recommend I play with 4-5 people that can be done in 1-2 hours? I was thinking Descent Second Edition or something along those lines. I've played Munchkins but I don't want the guys I work with to fucking hate each other.
Ticket to Ride

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Already mentioned that I would +1 as good recommendations:

Settlers of Catan
King of Toyko
Citadels

I would add Small World Underground to that list as well.

I would avoid Descent with that kind of group/time limit.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Settlers is the standard gateway to good board games. It's stood the test of time and is very solid. I think 7 wonders is also an excellent entry point to the world of good games.

Ticket to ride and small world are good suggestions as well.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Settlers of Catan is definitely a good choice, but only if people are on board with a FFA type of game. It's often a good idea to evaluate what your group would enjoy playing, whether it be FFA, Teams, One-v-Many, or full Co-op.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Settlers of Catan is a really bad game. The random element is way too random. If you are looking for a trading game there are many many better options out there. Now, you add in the Settlers expansions that curb some of the randomness then it becomes a much better game, still not as good as the alternatives though.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Settlers is good if you have the 5-6 player expansion with the Seafarers add on.
7 Wonders is where I'd bet putting my money if I wanted to bring in new players. 60 - 90 minute games.

Lords of Waterdeep and Puerta Rico later if they all take to the board games.

Avoid Agricola like the plague. You will break new players and when you figure out the one sure way to win the game it loses it's appeal very fast.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pandemic is my favorite for 2-4 people, co-op, 1 hour. With it's On the Brink expansion (which is the best expansion for any board game, period) you can play 5 player.

Settlers of Catan is a really bad game. The random element is way too random. If you are looking for a trading game there are many many better options out there. Now, you add in the Settlers expansions that curb some of the randomness then it becomes a much better game, still not as good as the alternatives though.
Exactly. I never want to play Settlers anymore with our group since we have way better games like Pandemic and Powergrid.