Board Games

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Which LCG or deckbuilding do people recommend the most?

I was thinking of picking up Android: Netrunner or Dominion as my first.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Which LCG or deckbuilding do people recommend the most?

I was thinking of picking up Android: Netrunner or Dominion as my first.
Dominion is good place to start, or Mage Knight if you want more RPG elements. Netrunner if you want more complexity/higher strategy.

Evernothing

Hmmm, I might have to go with Dominion or Mage Knight then, since I will be playing with my girlfriend and her only experience with CCG type games so far is Hearthstone. But she does love her some Hearthstone.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Dominion is a solid game but I got bored of it after a while. It becomes a single player game where it's an economy brain burner. Not a bad game just not for me.

I thought Ascension was a tad better on the interaction but like Dominion it can become mostly a single player game.

Seasons is a pretty solid deck builder (can it be called that?) with some more interesting interactions, if your FLGS has a store copy, I would highly recommend checking it out. It's like a smash up of Dominion and 7 Wonders.

For LCG's Netrunner is the best on the market in my opinion. Almost all of the identities are worthwhile so the game doesn't get stale as some others do. The tournament mechanic needs something more I think as most games come out in ties unless someone's player skill is vastly superior to the other players. If you don't plan on playing tournaments though I think it's awesome. Doomtown by AEG is getting reprinted in LCG format and the new rules look cool if you are in to weird west.

On Pandemic - My group found we had one guy who was kind of making up the strat and everyone else was kind of following what one guy said because that game needs a team director. We moved on to Zombicide for a co-op and everyone in the group likes it better as you can kind of decide what your character is doing without it being detrimental to the game. The variety of scenarios also curb the difficulty of the game so you can choose between easy mode and hard mode depending on the skill of the group.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Dominion is a solid game but I got bored of it after a while. It becomes a single player game where it's an economy brain burner. Not a bad game just not for me.

I thought Ascension was a tad better on the interaction but like Dominion it can become mostly a single player game.

Seasons is a pretty solid deck builder (can it be called that?) with some more interesting interactions, if your FLGS has a store copy, I would highly recommend checking it out. It's like a smash up of Dominion and 7 Wonders.

For LCG's Netrunner is the best on the market in my opinion. Almost all of the identities are worthwhile so the game doesn't get stale as some others do. The tournament mechanic needs something more I think as most games come out in ties unless someone's player skill is vastly superior to the other players. If you don't plan on playing tournaments though I think it's awesome. Doomtown by AEG is getting reprinted in LCG format and the new rules look cool if you are in to weird west.

On Pandemic - My group found we had one guy who was kind of making up the strat and everyone else was kind of following what one guy said because that game needs a team director. We moved on to Zombicide for a co-op and everyone in the group likes it better as you can kind of decide what your character is doing without it being detrimental to the game. The variety of scenarios also curb the difficulty of the game so you can choose between easy mode and hard mode depending on the skill of the group.
How do you tie in Netrunner? Corp runs out of cards the runner wins.

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Hmmm, I might have to go with Dominion or Mage Knight then, since I will be playing with my girlfriend and her only experience with CCG type games so far is Hearthstone. But she does love her some Hearthstone.
I would not recommend Mage Knight in that situation. I would say that is a fairly high complexity/multiple system management type game.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
How do you tie in Netrunner? Corp runs out of cards the runner wins.
The tournament system says you each play a runner game and a corp game. Most people split so you end up 1-1. In my experience we had at least one game go to time every round of every event (usually different people too) at the local events we have done. All three events we did here were 12-20 players.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The tournament system says you each play a runner game and a corp game. Most people split so you end up 1-1. In my experience we had at least one game go to time every round of every event (usually different people too) at the local events we have done. All three events we did here were 12-20 players.
Oh you are getting all official and shit, I was talking about good times with friends.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Settlers isn't a bad game. Random elements don't make a bad game. Random elements can be done really poorly, but Settlers functions on a bell curve and plays decently. It's not a particularly deep game, but again that doesn't make it bad. It is what is. As an into to board games beyond monopoly and munchkin it does a pretty good job of peeling back the envelope and hinting at what's possible.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
It is only a tie if both games score the same # of agendas...

Evernothing

Sentinels of the Multiverse looks like a cool co-op card game too, anyone have any experience with it?

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Hey guys. I just went through this thread last night and got kind of hyped by the idea of playing a boardgame. What would you recommend I play with 4-5 people that can be done in 1-2 hours? I was thinking Descent Second Edition or something along those lines. I've played Munchkins but I don't want the guys I work with to fucking hate each other.
Betrayal at house on the hill is great fun, 3-6 players, tile explore,Amazon.com: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition: Toys Games

No clue why its over 100 bucks currently, just bought it a few weeks ago for 50 at a local gaming store.

Vaclav

If you're thinking Co-op Card Game, Pathfinder ACG ranks amongst the best, and it's getting a consistent miniexpansion ($14-15 usually on amazon) every 2 months to keep it rolling. [Each expansion is about 5-10 hrs to play through - 5 missions each about 1-2 hrs]

And it's been confirmed to get a new set for next year with a similar "Adventure Path" plan, so should be like that until Summer 2015 at a minimum.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ascension is too luck-based and requires little strategy.
Dominion has good depth and replayability, and I can actually get the gf to play it. However, it lacks the involvement oomph.
Thunderstone can be avoided completely.

On Pandemic - My group found we had one guy who was kind of making up the strat and everyone else was kind of following what one guy said because that game needs a team director.
qft

Evernothing

Yeah Quaterbacking can be an issue with Pandemic. Some people prefer to play with your hands hidden to stifle this.

So far, we play with open hands and everyone puts in their 2 cents on best move to make per turn. We are probably 60% win rate currently, but have been adding more Epidemics / Mutation events etc as we get better.

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Betrayal at house on the hill is great fun, 3-6 players, tile explore,Amazon.com: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition: Toys Games

No clue why its over 100 bucks currently, just bought it a few weeks ago for 50 at a local gaming store.
It was out of stock for months after it was featured on TableTop. It just got resupplied a month or so ago, so online retailers went fast. Why the price is back up on it. I had mine on preorder as soon as the announced they were getting it back in at CSI. Also, if you are looking at getting into board gaming in general, and dont mind dropping atleast $100 on games, shop at coolstuffinc.com They have better prices then amazon on pretty much everything, and free shipping on orders over $100. Great way to start a collection by picking up a few different options for cheap.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Damn, thanks for the Coolstuffinc tip. I've been using my FLGS to get stuff for good prices since I know the guy, but he's been out of Pathfinder for a long time. Just got all the Pathfinder shit for a great price (near what I'd get from him) and free shipping. Score.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
It is only a tie if both games score the same # of agendas...
netrunner op document_sl said:
the player with the most
prestige is the winner of the tournament
later in the netrunner op document_sl said:
At the conclusion of each match, players are awarded prestige
based on their results. For each game a player wins during his
or her match, he or she gains 2 prestige.
Agenda points only come in to play if a match goes to time.