Bobcat vs Coyote

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Who would win in a fight?

• Total voters

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I served as an old prospector in Afghanistan.
Seriously? None of you fuckers got this joke? I thought I'd have 10 worfs by now.

• 1Picard
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Cats are fast strike killers. Dogs are endurance hunters. A cat has no chance on open ground against a dog that knows what it's doing. A dog's metabolic system will allow it to kill a cat of exhaustion. This is why dog's are used to hunt large cats. Humans also being exhaustion hunters is why dog/human hunting pairs synthesize so well.
I disagree, specifically since your reply was to the pound for pound statement. Unless you have multiple dogs, which is precisely what you bring when hunting a large cat with dogs, how is one dog going to exhaust a cat? I assume you are thinking of the dog darting in and harrying the cat over and over, or even chasing it for miles and miles, but that isn't going to work with just one dog. You need multiple dogs coming from multiple angles, otherwise the cat just faces the dog and tears its fucking face off as soon as it gets close.

If you somehow give the dog the ability to dart in and nip without getting murderized, if this happens on a flat barren plain with nothing on it, then maybe. One tree or big rock and the cat can just climb it and sleep for a while and wait for the dog to get tired.

I honestly cannot see one scenario of an equally sized dog and cat, one on one, where the dog wins unless you manipulate the variables somehow.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah. not even sure.

Coyote size. a big factor, and highly variable.
Last year, I was out for a jog, and this Coyote came out across the path, by a stream/watering hole. I was a good 200-250ft away. But, that Coyote was HUGE. "is that a fucking wolf?" huge. Larger the my brothers Rottweilers. 60lb+. likely closer to 80. people insist still no wolves in CT/RI..
But, Coyotes and wolfs can interbreed, and that is the explanation for the overly large Eastern Coyotes.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this is a "katana vs longsword" debate.

they are two different animals that have two different hunting/attacking styles and will not ever face each other in a battle to the death. they both prefer smaller prey and if faced with any kind of real threat they just run off. bobcat is faster and nimbler, i assume, but if you corner a coyote it'll get real dangerous, real quick. enough so that the bobcat wouldn't actually engage.

animals are concerned with self-preservation. also i'm allergic to cats to screw them.

Edit: apparently coyote are a fair bit faster than bobcats, according to google. Bobcats run at about 30mph, coyote run at 35-45mph.

Coyote are also bigger and will outmuscle a bobcat. But again neither of them will expend the energy needed to confront the other.

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Cats are fast strike killers. Dogs are endurance hunters. A cat has no chance on open ground against a dog that knows what it's doing. A dog's metabolic system will allow it to kill a cat of exhaustion. This is why dog's are used to hunt large cats. Humans also being exhaustion hunters is why dog/human hunting pairs synthesize so well.

Cats are naturally more violent, and housecats have been bred for millennia to indiscriminately kill small things, so people see them killing things more often and assume they are naturally better killers.

Endurance doesn't play to solo hunting, and this a 1 on 1 scenario.

If they're equal size, 1 on 1, I'd give the cat benefit

I don't expect the dog to have a strategic mind, and to kite the cat, were it even possible for it to break distance and wear the cat out

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
If it's on a treadmill, the coyote wins hands down. Especially if his wifi is good enough to contact the ACME corporation. However, given enough time to prepare and enough time to increase his saiyan levels in the 619 dimension, the bobcat would have a slight advantage.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, that’s the only reason you aren’t screwing the cats?
Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
You think a coyote wants a piece of this? A coyote does not want a piece of this.

The last time I was in the BWCA I heard this and if I hadn't had listened to this exact clip beforehand I would have had no clue what it was. They are pretty amazing animals.