Bobcat vs Coyote

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Who would win in a fight?

• Total voters

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
The problem with this scenario is, I think coyote (singular) doesn’t happen, does it? So there’s probably gonna be multiple coyotes against one bobcat. Nonetheless, I went with bobcat. They look small but they’re quite strong and stupid quick.
It does. I see singles roaming. Its usually a 40/60 split where there's usually two of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
In a normal situation in the wild, the bobcat would run up a tree and the coyote would decide to keep moving quickly. If you locked them in an arena and enforced combat where they both came out willing, my money is on the coyote with very strong odds in their favor. Coyotes are larger and their main weapon is far stronger. Bobcats are evolved to take on swift smaller prey, not fight a head on battle with a larger animal.
My hypothetical does not include fleeing. It includes fighting.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I live in a suburb of Phoenix, Az and in the morning when I run we have a small pack of coyotes that are out and about in my subdivision. There has been a few times I have been within 10 feet of a couple and they are very timid to humans. I would say, they never take their eyes off me until I am in the distance again. I assume they are looking for small loose animals like cats and dogs to hunt.
Mine are very timid as well and not that big. I'd honestly say that mine are about the size of my bobcats.

Now would the coyote go straight for the throat? How about the bobcat?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

Coyote,

They can get up to 50 lbs, think Belgian Malinos

I agree with Void, lbs to lbs Cats are better fighters, they evolved to predate solo, sans Lions.

But Eastern Coyote is substantially bigger than bobcat, on average anyway ...apparently per Wiki there's rumor of 60 lbs Bob Cats ?

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I live in a suburb of Phoenix, Az and in the morning when I run we have a small pack of coyotes that are out and about in my subdivision. There has been a few times I have been within 10 feet of a couple and they are very timid to humans. I would say, they never take their eyes off me until I am in the distance again. I assume they are looking for small loose animals like cats and dogs to hunt.
i live in Lake Havasu City and it is HILARIOUS being up late with your window open and just hearing random barks or hisses cut short. then in the morning you hear karen yelling out for whatever stupid house pet to come home because she left the door open or forgot to let back in the night before.

sorry lady, coyotes got'em.

i have no horse in the race, i just think coyotes are funny.

• 1Edgelord

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If we account for giant bobcats we can account for giant coyotes, which still puts Eastern Coyotes ahead in weight
I live in Florida and all my coyotes aren't that big. Anecdotal of course.. I'll have to go back through my pics of them.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not to derail the original hypothetical, but I think this is about the highest matchup you can get before cats start to run away with it. Theoretically your next weight class would be mountain lion/puma/cougar vs. wolf. I realize there have been some massive fucking wolves found, and some fairly small pumas, but if you take the average (or biggest I suppose) of both, I think the puma should win most times. Scale it up even more to leopard, jaguar, lion, tiger, etc. and there isn't a dog that can even come close in size much less pure ass-kickery.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Not to derail the original hypothetical, but I think this is about the highest matchup you can get before cats start to run away with it. Theoretically your next weight class would be mountain lion/puma/cougar vs. wolf. I realize there have been some massive fucking wolves found, and some fairly small pumas, but if you take the average (or biggest I suppose) of both, I think the puma should win most times. Scale it up even more to leopard, jaguar, lion, tiger, etc. and there isn't a dog that can even come close in size much less pure ass-kickery.

Then you've got to consider bringing bears into the mix

• 1Worf

Hosix

All labs matter!
This whole thing is bullshit. It’s about to be shark week fuckers!

• 1Potato

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
World record sizes aren't really relevant. The biggest human was 974 lbs but that doesn't tell you anything about how big humans are really. Around here coyotes are around 30 lbs and bobcats are around 20.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
pound for pound cats are much better killers than doggos.
Cats are fast strike killers. Dogs are endurance hunters. A cat has no chance on open ground against a dog that knows what it's doing. A dog's metabolic system will allow it to kill a cat of exhaustion. This is why dog's are used to hunt large cats. Humans also being exhaustion hunters is why dog/human hunting pairs synthesize so well.

Cats are naturally more violent, and housecats have been bred for millennia to indiscriminately kill small things, so people see them killing things more often and assume they are naturally better killers.

• 1Solidarity