No Time to Die (007 Bond)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you remember that time the chinese empire expanded past the Caucasus? Me neither.

Replace China with Turkish/Any North African country.

I picked China because they are the most directly competitive with Western society, and Chinese expats tend to be a "competitive" minority in other countries. So of ALL the nationalities that is the one people should be most accepting of. But if you want to believe people are truly looking at this through an Anti-Colonial lens, which they are applying to a Bond film...Then lets go with Turks. Does it work differently? Nope. In fact its probably worse now.

To be fair, I have seen hundreds of chinese and hong kongese movies and I can't remember one off the top of my head which would have a caucasian protagonist other than The Great Wall (which is a co-production with the US) oh and Dragon Blade! Over the years I have seen many secondary characters or antagonists in the british administration of Hong-Kong or the colonial powers in China, but no protagonists... the closest I can think of is that biracial HK actor of the '90s whose name escapes me and whose ethnicity would sometime be a plot point...

Oh I don't think the Chinese would have an issue with it. This is purely a European/US bit of hypocrisy, so pretty much the Reee only starts when it spills into our modern critical eye. Ghost in a Shell for example, no Japanese person I knew had an issue with that. Because everyone understands if the Japanese adapt a Western property, its going to have Japanese leads, same with China. (Friend of mine raves about Chinese doing Shakespeare. He's literally a rent-a-white in China lol.) And I genuinely don't care, in fact, I think its great--I think one of the best parts of entertainment is watching your culture's stories reflected in other people, it does provide a unique look into the human condition to see that new perspective. But the hypocrisy on when this is "brave" and "amazing" and when its racism is intolerable. And frankly I'm just pissy I even care about this, 15 years ago when I saw Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin I didn't even blink, the idea that there were "rules" on race for what is literally role playing would have been considered absurd to me. But, here we are--a world where talented people are dropping ACTING parts for fear of not being the proper identity..(Its painful to even say, isn't it?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do we get to see this 007 in fist fights where she's repeatedly taking down 250 pound men? Heh.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Black Widow is a good point but I'm not sure how relevant. Marvel made Ant Man and Black Panther look good so they can do no wrong. That's also a superhero story which fits other narratives better. I don't think they are looking for the worldwide gross of $293 million from Salt either which is very close to what they are trying here. I haven't seen many Bond films with amazing stories and since they are going completely away from the Bond persona, going this route is a concession that they can't tell the Bond story well enough to keep it.

I sense another franchise going down the toilet because they can't write a good story and are hoping a few numbers, nostalgia, and a black woman brings in the audience. You obviously see the problem when such a weak premise is the new selling point?

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
If they're gonna go with a tranny-looking broad why not go full woke ?

t.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
iannis iannis I have not read much about the supposed plot of this new Bond movie, has it been said that the focus of story will be 007 and not Bond? I would think the focus will be on Bond, brought out of retirement and forming a reluctant duo with the new 007.

Do you remember that time the chinese empire expanded past the Caucasus? Me neither.

To be fair, I have seen hundreds of chinese and hong kongese movies and I can't remember one off the top of my head which would have a caucasian protagonist other than The Great Wall (which is a co-production with the US) oh and Dragon Blade! Over the years I have seen many secondary characters or antagonists in the british administration of Hong-Kong or the colonial powers in China, but no protagonists... the closest I can think of is that biracial HK actor of the '90s whose name escapes me and whose ethnicity would sometime be a plot point...

white ppl in hong konger films were just police captains, it got to the point that i understood that in HK you can't move up the ladder b/c a token white guy will be there cuz his main qualification is white guy.

or it was just same white guy captain in all those movies, they all look alike.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, they should have used this girl.

I could see her easily taking out a 250lb guy.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
lol, is that the best you have?
View attachment 215256

Sadly, all of it is extreme fantasy at this point so you may be right. The real 007 would be sitting behind a keyboard eating doughnuts and watching for wrongspeak and evil Nazis on Facebook and Twitter. 004-007 hard at work cracking down in international crime. Riveting stuff.

MON1108017.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
She's not James Bond, she's 007 and Bond (Daniel Craig) has retired. So it would be logical to assume that she either gets killed or otherwise needs Bond's help.

Disagree.

Bond dies, 007 continues.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
bond converts to islam, declares jihad against the western apostacy, establishes the second Caliphate, world peace is achieved

• 2Worf
  • 1Like