Book of the Month - Merged

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Black Sun Rising - C.S. Friedman

36159.jpg

The Coldfire trilogy tells a story of discovery and battle against evil on a planet where a force of nature exists that is capable of reshaping the world in response to psychic stimulus. This terrifying force, much like magic, has the power to prey upon the human mind, drawing forth a person's worst nightmare images or most treasured dreams and indiscriminately giving them life. This is the story of two men: one, a warrior priest ready to sacrifice anything and everything for the cause of humanity's progress; the other, a sorcerer who has survived for countless centuries by a total submission to evil. They are absolute enemies who must unite to conquer an evil greater than anything their world has ever known.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st (actually June 28) of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Somewhat OT, but I iust watched this after looking around for a good/realistic and somewhat accurate depiction of GK. It's in mongolian with subtitles, but still a pretty solid movie and definitely worth watching if you're reading this series. It's basically another spin on the story from the first book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/

khalid

Unelected Mod
Started book 4 yesterday (thought it was a trilogy, but there are actually 5 books). So far book 2 was the least enjoyable for me, loved book 3 and book 4 is shaping up quite nicely.

Great series.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Halfway through book 3, it's pretty fuckin' rad. I love how it expands perspective as it goes on. Not just the way it follows his generals more, but also following the "bad" guys more.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Somewhat OT, but I iust watched this after looking around for a good/realistic and somewhat accurate depiction of GK. It's in mongolian with subtitles, but still a pretty solid movie and definitely worth watching if you're reading this series. It's basically another spin on the story from the first book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/
I have this sitting on my hard drive waiting to watch. I am trying to finish up the second book before I start in on this month's book, but school and work have me slammed so it is hard to get through. Only about 75% through book 2.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, does anyone have a handle on how accurate the books are? Not about the specific character interactions, of course that stuff is fictionalized. But the overall storyline and battles.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, does anyone have a handle on how accurate the books are? Not about the specific character interactions, of course that stuff is fictionalized. But the overall storyline and battles.
No clue, but I do like the little post-script thing at the end of each book that drops some facts and explains where he's deviated or filled in stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm still reading the second Khan book. Almost done and ready to start on this, though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Drawback of the first book of an awesome series winning, folks are rabidly reading the follow ups to the previous winner.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Drawback of the first book of an awesome series winning, folks are rabidly reading the follow ups to the previous winner.
Yep, I'm in this category as well. Finishing Kahn #3. I don't want BOTM to stop though, so many asskicking suggestions/winners so far.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
A month late on this, but overall a fantastic book. The writing style felt like a mix of Dickens and Fitzgerald. I really really like how the conversations became narrative stories themselves, rather than just information dumps or drawn out dialogue.

I almost wish he'd ended it at the climax. The way Daniel overcame his cowardice at a decisive moment, which I felt was an entire theme of the novel (dealing with cowardice) was just fantastic. The images that closed that scene were fantastically poignant. It definitely got a little dusty around my office at that point.

The only real complaint I have was that the backstory narrative was a little drawn out. If that had been a couple of dozen pages shorter, it would have been a bit better, but it is a minor complaint overall. I haven't been this grabbed by a book in a LONG time.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just finished this as well and thought it was great. Probably the first fiction book I've read that was not fantasy / sci-fi in almost a decade, but the whole thing kept me really drawn in. I really really want to visit Barcelona after reading this. Zafon did a great job describing environment and emotion that wasn't overly drawn out or force fed. His couple of lines describing the shape and shadow of things was much better than some authors (fantasy) spending four pages describing the shine of armor on some knight or the splendor of some cathedral.... Anyways. It was great. My only complaint, which I think was brought up previously, is that the last 1/4 of the book is one long explanation of the 'mystery' that kind of discounts a lot of what came before. And then the end is Lord of the Rings'esque in that it drags. Would have been happy an ending at one certain point