Book of the Month - Merged

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Will finish this tonight, late, and be a bag of shit at work tomorrow because of it. I am not worried, because I will put on the cold face.
Show your boss the cold face. Do not let him see your weakness, control him and let him know you are there to make the khan's choice.

I'm into the second book in the series now, picks up and runs with the badassness.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Rather than let the book club die, I will do it. But I really, really don't want to. I just don't have the time and I would rather someone who isn't a mod do it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Afraid to look at wikipedia in case I get "spoiled" on what happens, but the numbers for the armies so far seem really small compared to what I thought the mongol armies have. Granted, I still haven't quite finished the first book of the series.

Really good shit though, i love historical fiction that makes me really interested in the "real story". I hope it isn't too historically inaccurate.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Just finished and starting on book 2.

"What came next would shake the world."

Badass ending words of the afterword.

Narrator of the audiobook of 2 is different from 1 and is horrible. Hopefully I can get past it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Really good shit though, i love historical fiction that makes me really interested in the "real story". I hope it isn't too historically inaccurate.
From what I gather, the broad strokes are historically accurate. But it isn't like the Mongols were super fastidious about record keeping. So there are only a few sources to go by.

I have been making a point not to read about the real history yet, but I find in book two I have had to look up some geographic stuff just to get an idea of where we are. In the first book it didn't matter, a plain is a plain, but the second is... different.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I'm on to book 2 now. Umm are we supposed to discuss book 1 or something? How does this shit work? I'll start:

Awesome.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Finished it. Fucking awesome, one of the best books I've read all year. I have the rest in mobi/epub - if anyone needs them, PM me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have been asked to take over for Himeo. He is busy I have time. If you have book suggestions PM me them. I will read the book you PM me in it's entirety before I put it in a poll so you need to give me a few days before I put the poll up.

Some of these books are in here because I like them and I think they need some recognition, some of them are popular, some of them are ones I want to read. For this month I have read them all but the Gaffigan book. I will of course put a copy of the book up digitally once voting closes for everyone to download in mob/epub.

The rules I have are as such.

1.) Book with the most votes wins.
2.) Second place book rolls over one month into it's slot on the poll. All the other ones you will never see again.
3.) I will put the poll up for the next month on or near the 20th giving us around 10 days to vote.
4.) Enjoy reading.

Fantasy/Sci-fi: Black Sun Rising ? C.S. Friedman

36159.jpg

The Coldfire trilogy tells a story of discovery and battle against evil on a planet where a force of nature exists that is capable of reshaping the world in response to psychic stimulus. This terrifying force, much like magic, has the power to prey upon the human mind, drawing forth a person's worst nightmare images or most treasured dreams and indiscriminately giving them life. This is the story of two men: one, a warrior priest ready to sacrifice anything and everything for the cause of humanity's progress; the other, a sorcerer who has survived for countless centuries by a total submission to evil. They are absolute enemies who must unite to conquer an evil greater than anything their world has ever known.

Non-Fiction: Stem Cell Now ? Christopher Thomas Scott

41PukoYXfmL.jpg

In Stem Cell Now, Christopher Scott?executive director of Stanford University?s Stem Cells and Society Program?lays out the scientific and ethical issues surrounding this national dilemma. Scott guides readers through the latest advances in stem cell research in clear, accessible language, telling the stories of the researchers who are exploring the potential of stem cells to cure cancer, grow new organs, and repair the immune system. He also leads readers through a discussion of the question at the heart of the explosive ethical debate: How, as a society, do we balance our responsibilities to the unborn and the sick? Stem Cell Now is essential reading for anyone who wants to build an informed opinion on stem cell research.

General Fiction/Popular Fiction: Inferno ? Dan Brown

dan-brown.png

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history?s most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante?s Inferno.

Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante?s dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered.

Genre Fiction (Mystery): The Eight ? Katherine Neville

113310.jpg

Computer expert Cat Velis is heading for a job to Algeria. Before she goes, a mysterious fortune teller warns her of danger, and an antique dealer asks her to search for pieces to a valuable chess set that has been missing for years...In the South of France in 1790 two convent girls hide valuable pieces of a chess set all over the world, because the game that can be played with them is too powerful....

Young Adult/Teen/Children's (both Fiction and Non): Dad is Fat ? Jim Gaffigan

Dad-is-Fat-Jim-Gaffigan.jpg

In Dad is Fat, stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan, who?s best known for his legendary riffs on Hot Pockets, bacon, manatees, and McDonald's, expresses all the joys and horrors of life with five young children?everything from cousins ("celebrities for little kids") to toddlers? communication skills (?they always sound like they have traveled by horseback for hours to deliver important news?), to the eating habits of four year olds (?there is no difference between a four year old eating a taco and throwing a taco on the floor?). Reminiscent of Bill Cosby?s Fatherhood, Dad is Fat is sharply observed, explosively funny, and a cry for help from a man who has realized he and his wife are outnumbered in their own home.

Pot-Luck: Pattern Recognition ? William Gibson

pattern-recognition.jpg

The first of William Gibson's usually futuristic novels to be set in the present, Pattern Recognition is a masterful snapshot of modern consumer culture and hipster esoterica. Set in London, Tokyo, and Moscow, Pattern Recognition takes the reader on a tour of a global village inhabited by power-hungry marketeers, industrial saboteurs, high-end hackers, Russian mob bosses, Internet fan-boys, techno archeologists, washed-out spies, cultural documentarians, and our heroine Cayce Pollard--a soothsaying "cool hunter" with an allergy to brand names.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Black Sun Rising is one of my favorite books of all time. The rest on the list are pretty "meh". I read Pattern Recognition and all I can remember is some chick flying around on planes too much and talking about jet lag.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Black Sun Rising is one of my favorite books of all time. The rest on the list are pretty "meh". I read Pattern Recognition and all I can remember is some chick flying around on planes too much and talking about jet lag.
The Coldfire trilogy I have read in it's entirety probably 6 times. One of my favorite series of all time.

The Stem Cell one is pretty great. I thought The Eight was ok. I put the William Gibson into the Potluck, I was debating on doing Reamde from Neal Stephenson instead.

August should be a bit better. Just getting up to speed here.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I voted Black Sun Rising. Seems to get a lot of good word of mouth. I really want to read the Gaffigan book as well but that can wait.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think I am going to read the Gaffigan book regardless and might do the Stem Cell this month also to get a refresh on it.

I am not voting so as not to skew it because one vote can ruin everything.

jeffvader - yeah the Dan Brown book is umm odd

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are you going to do the whole trilogy or just book 1?
Just the first book, doubt most people can read the entire trilogy in a month. The first book ends well enough that you don't ever really need to read the other books, they are good but the first one is great.