Book of the Month - Merged

iannis

Musty Nester
The Tenant looks the most interesting out of the bunch to me.

It's either Kafka-esque or horrible paranormal nonsense.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Solid theme Chaos however I am blinking a little at people not knowing 'A Handmaid's Tale' was a book before it was a film.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I was a kid when it came out and was never really aware of it as a book, so I went with that. Like I said, trying to find some fantasy or sci fi that people here wouldn't recognize as a book is challenging.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I didn't know it was a movie to not know it was a book originally. Is it some kind of anime or scifi original or something? Did I just miss its importance while growing up?

I voted Drive because I despised the movie and other people did not so the book might redeem it all.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I didn't know it was a movie to not know it was a book originally. Is it some kind of anime or scifi original or something? Did I just miss its importance while growing up?

I voted Drive because I despised the movie and other people did not so the book might redeem it all.
It won a pile of awards in 87. It was notable, not for its feminist message, but more for its prescience in positing America might turn into 'Jesusland' and what that would mean. She was well ahead of the curve on that. Maybe it was more well known over here in the UK as it is having quite the poke at the US.

I was not carping btw. Like I said, solid theme. I was just surprised is all.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It won a pile of awards in 87. It was notable, not for its feminist message, but more for its prescience in positing America might turn into 'Jesusland' and what that would mean. She was well ahead of the curve on that. Maybe it was more well known over here in the UK as it is having quite the poke at the US.

I was not carping btw. Like I said, solid theme. I was just surprised is all.
Oh I was just baffled at me completely missing it as a story, when I get back to the states I will probably watch and read it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Reading begins immediately upon the vote ending. After this month I will try and line that up with the first of the next month, this time it will be the 27th just because of when it started. If you have trouble finding the books on ebook/pdf you can ask me via PM. No posting to torrents or whatever.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sorry I didn't start the discussion thread yet, but Election won. You can get the ebook from openlibrary.com. I will put the discussion up later today.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Election by Tom Perotta

rrr_img_70218.jpg

Set in Winwood, New Jersey, Tom Perrotta's novel "Election" is a story of high school politics and student election drama. Mr. M., a popular history teacher, encourages Paul Warren, a good kid, to run for Student Government Association president against Tracy Flick, a manipulative over-achiever. When Lisa Flanagan decides to be Paul's campaign manager and begins dating him, Paul's sister Tammy (a lesbian who failed to seduce Lisa, her former best friend), decides to run against Paul as well.

The book is available as an ebook from openlibrary.com, let me know if you have trouble getting it.

Please keep any discussion in spoilers until the 7th. After the 7th it is open discussion.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, I am looking at next month's theme as well. We may vote on themes, let me know if you guys think that is too much voting and shit.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Even though this isn't something I'm really interested in, I'll try to work it in this month anyhow. Glad to see someone picking up the BOTM torch.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You might like it. His book The Leftovers that we read, it wasn't terrible, just the end felt like it went nowhere in the end and it had at least one plotline that was 100% extraneous. As far as character development and stuff it was decent, and the premise was good. The premise of this book is good, and I consider the movie a classic, so I am hopeful.

My whole strategy with this is to read books I would never read otherwise and get other people to do the same. Good books, hopefully.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sorry but based on that description posted I'll never read this. Sounds like a lifetime movie or a show that airs at 3:30 after school on CW.

Edit:
Shit I missed that we had a poll. I thought Chaos just chose this for us, carry on.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I voted for Goodfellas. Y'all are gay. I'm reading it though. I couldn't stand the movie, or the leftovers, so my expectations are low.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sorry but based on that description posted I'll never read this. Sounds like a lifetime movie or a show that airs at 3:30 after school on CW.

Edit:
Shit I missed that we had a poll. I thought Chaos just chose this for us, carry on.
If you don't want to read the book at least watch the movie. It's outstanding. And should disabuse you of the whole Lifetime Movie notion.