Bootstrappers guide to being successful.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
With such a plethora of knowledge on this board and the general consensus being anyone can be successful and furthering education and learning skills will pick you up from even the deepest holes I wanted to try to make a thread that focuses the talent and knowledge of those who post here into a thread as a guide for accredited schools and links to crucial websites for getting grants or reputable schools you can do online or in a specific state to earn degrees.

In my experience trying to sift through the mountains of shit on tv and google, reading reviews for certain places its all confusing and stressful while everyones experience in a school is different reading things like ITT Tech is a waste of money and many businesses don't take their degrees seriously, I get frustrated with the whole ordeal and put it on the back burner.

Anyone who wishes to contribute is welcome, reviews and a description of what your courses were like, how you like your new career along with expected pay and whether you would recommend others to follow suit or go a different route would be helpful to others.

I can edit the OP to include all links and job titles, expected pay and cost of school along with the time it would take to complete.

http://fafsa.gov/

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Step 1: Work hard.
Step 2: Get lucky by getting one of a rapidly dwindling number of opportunities.
Step 3:
Step 4: Profit.
Step 5: Ignore all the people who did work hard but didn't get lucky, claim the system works.
Step 6: Get a large stock portfolio, stop working hard.
Step 7: Let your money work for you, become part of the parasitic upper class.
Step 8: Call the parasitic lower class scum.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Is it really bootstrapping when you fill out the FAFSA and the gubmint gives you pell grants out the ass, though?

And believe me, I'm not knocking getting free money for school from the gubmint. Done plenty of that myself. The whole thing has been quite good to me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Step 1: Work hard.
Step 2: Get lucky by getting one of a rapidly dwindling number of opportunities.
Step 3:
Step 4: Profit.
Step 5: Ignore all the people who did work hard but didn't get lucky, claim the system works.
Step 6: Get a large stock portfolio, stop working hard.
Step 7: Let your money work for you, become part of the parasitic upper class.
Step 8: Call the parasitic lower class scum.
Pretty much.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
This thread is too general to be useful IMO.
Business, Finance Career Developmentis a forum dedicated to the purpose of this thread and has many threads describing what you want for specific paths

ex:Majoring in Comp Scihas a large number of posts that someone could use to inform them how to go from being a technically minded person to a professional programmer.

Adventures with Lyrical: Buying a Business (REPOST)) has a large number of posts on how to run your own business.
We need a professional development subforum!!!!

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
This thread is too general to be useful IMO.
Business, Finance Career Developmentis a forum dedicated to the purpose of this thread and has many threads describing what you want for specific paths

ex:Majoring in Comp Scihas a large number of posts that someone could use to inform them how to go from being a technically minded person to a professional programmer.

Adventures with Lyrical: Buying a Business (REPOST)) has a large number of posts on how to run your own business.
Just reading the first few posts there, those threads arent helping anyone from being a rock mover for the rest of their life.

I'm having somewhat of an existential dilemma. I've pretty much gotten the jobs I thought I wanted to get, but with each one, I either end up hating it or feel like I'm just wasting my time. I would look at coworkers that had been at the job for 20+ years and I would think "there's no way I could do this for that long." The longest I've been at a job since grad school has been 2 years. Each time I go for a new position I think I'm "upgrading" and I go into it thinking "this is what I want", but then it ends not being that and I start the job search again shortly after starting. It's at the point that I have no idea what I want now, because what I thought I wanted isn't doing it for me. It's been letdown after letdown, so now I'm tentative to pursue any interest. I had a dream job that I worked hard to get, and within a month, I realized that it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Very disheartening.

I don't like hearing that "nobody likes their job" because that seems so pessimistic and I know it's not true. I've thought about pursuing other avenues within the same field, but out the ones that interest me, I've seen the lifestyle those people have, and it's not something I want to do (basically freelance work where they're always looking for the next gig, i.e. no job security).

I'm thinking I just need to do a 180 and go some totally different direction that doesn't use my degrees.

Couple things hold me back:

My bachelors and masters are in the same field. A field that I'm kind of over working in.
I need to be making north of $80k to maintain lifestyle.
I'm sick of school, and do not want to go back to pursue any more degrees. I already owe $60k from the first 2.
I have to live someplace that I love, otherwise the job isn't worth it. I live in southern California, about 45min from L.A. I've been to 43 states and this is my favorite location. I've also considered overseas locals such as Dubai, France, Germany and New Zealand.

Any ideas?
Quoted from the Career advice thread, this man could definitely use something "too general" when he is flopping around not knowing what to do and nowhere to look for a wide selection of careers that could suit his wants and needs. Although I concede this thread would be better placed in that forum, than general.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I have made some good connections with contract recruiters for the various tech companies in the Seattle area.

Take interesting contract jobs to learn the skills and get foot in the door. Opportunities based on job performance.

Don't take a contract or FTE Position that pays less than the one you previously had.

Not a retard.
No degree.
Have experience and marketable skills.
Put money into an investment account (I put 500/mo in a targeted roth *except in december*)
Live like I'm poor (mostly... ignore my scotch collection and weekly golf pictures)

Currently working in finance (FTE), was working in marketing (CONTRACT promotional marketing).

Considering finishing school(Probably Edjucation Major) on the side depending on what my next job looks like.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Step 1: Identify a field that's in an employment and/or investment bubble.
Step 2: Bullshit your way into that field. This may or may not require a degree.
Step 3a: Bullshit your way up the ladder in that field.
or
Step 3b: Spin off into a startup in that field.
Step 4: Plan an exit before the bubble collapses.
Step 5: Go back to step 1, using your resume to accomplish step 2, before other people from your field bail and do the same.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Step 1: Identify a field that's in an employment and/or investment bubble.
Step 2: Bullshit your way into that field. This may or may not require a degree.
Step 3a: Bullshit your way up the ladder in that field.
or
Step 3b: Spin off into a startup in that field.
Step 4: Plan an exit before the bubble collapses.
Step 5: Go back to step 1, using your resume to accomplish step 2, before other people from your field bail and do the same.
How did I know Mist's picture of success would involve bullshitting your way into something and not work, relationships, and qualifications.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How did I know Mist's picture of success would involve bullshitting your way into something and not work, relationships, and qualifications.
Because she is unsuccessful, lazy, and unpleasant to be around that means no one gets anywhere through hard work, qualifications and healthy professional relationships.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, and then you immediately try to imply that it doesn't matter (since getting lucky is your next one).
Do you understand how steps work?

Step 1 is work hard, which you need to do first (hencestep 1, for those who didn't go to kindergarten) to put yourself in a good position for step 2 to happen. But sometimes step 2 doesn't happen.

Nearly everyone that is successful worked hard and then got lucky. But it's certainly possible to work hard and never get lucky and then not be successful.

What's the saying? Success is when preparation meets opportunity?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There is a certain amount of luck in doing anything and no honest person will discount luck. But to my mind, what luck affects more than anything is just how soon you will get certain opportunities... some people take a little longer because they get screwed on things.

There are exceptions to anything but generally if you want to be successful in almost any field:

Have good qualifications. Go to the right schools, get the right test scores. These make it easy.

Be social. Get out there and have a network of friends. If you don't have a network of friends, it makes it easily 10X harder to get the great opportunities. Every good job in my life I've gotten I've gotten because I know people who work there, who know I am awesome, and tell their boss to hire me.

Don't fail at things. Success is contagious and snowballs on itself. You succeed at things and people give you more opportunities. You succeed at those (or even look like you're succeeding) and you get so many opportunities you won't know what to do with them all. Because one thing in life is true: The world is full of people who fucking fail at life. Everyone wants to hire a winner. Be a fucking winner.

Past that, just keep up working your network and then be meticulous about success once you have your first opportunities. This shit really is not that complicated.