Boston Marathon Explosion - Today's Topics: Public Schools

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well, I think it is wrong because it is giving publicity to someone that wanted publicity. Many of these mass shooting/bombing types are doing it out of a sense to want to get their message out, or people that felt disrespected by others or wanted to make something of their lives. Turning these guys into media celebrities seems to almost encourage more crazy loners to do this kind of shit. It definitely encourages copycat shit, which is why we tend to see school shootings and the like grouped up.
i cant agree with you on this. its not a flattering way to be shown, cowering in a boat like a little bitch probably begging the cops not to cap him in his fucking face. this picture was released by a cop who has now been relieved of duty. im not sure of their protocol in such matters, so i dunno if they were right to do that, but i dont think it was out of line or even glorifying this shit by publishing that particular photo. if i was a wouldbe copycat and after seeing that photo i wouldnt be all, "oooh what a lucky guy! i wish i had done that so i could be famous too!" dude is likely going to be living the rest of his natural life behind bars getting buttraped by trayvons. who the fuck would be envious of that?

Eonan

Doer of Things
Pretty sure thats not a weapons laser/designator. We carried PEQ-14s in Iraq and the laser on it was the size of a little $5 laser pointer.
Used them as well, even the IR variants we used were degraded at long ranges. The shooter is definitely much further away and my assumption is that since it's likely a snipers laser on him hence the size.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro...z/-/index.html

NY Woman scammed the public charity (The One Fund Boston) set up for the bombing victims of 480k. There have been a few attempts to scam previously but they have been caught. Rumor has it this one actually had help from a Doctor(s) in either Boston or New York or both to get the proper paperwork and they knew exactly what to forge.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Used them as well, even the IR variants we used were degraded at long ranges. The shooter is definitely much further away and my assumption is that since it's likely a snipers laser on him hence the size.
That seems like a retarded sight to use. Why would you want a visible laser on your target? That's some dumb movie shit.

iannis

Musty Nester
My first guess would be that it's cheaper than some IR/UV light that you'd need a special scope to see.

I mean why wouldn't you want a visible pointer on your target? The entire idea is that your target is gonna be dead soon so what does it matter?

iannis

Musty Nester
yeah someone explain to me why publishing a picture of the bomber in his hideyhole was wrong by Rolling Stone magazine? when we captured saddam hussein in his spiderhole the picture was on the front cover of every magazine in the nation. nobody said a peep.
I'm pretty thick skinned about most things so I don't care. But it's wrong (really it's more tactless) because it is emotionally callous to the pain suffered by the victims and being done only in the interest of grabbing money. Any valid points they have to make can be made without the use of the pictures.

It's not at all like throwing the picture of Hussein on the cover of every magazine. It's more like throwing the picture of a mass rapist up on a cover. "Look look this guy raped people, buy our magazine and listen to us talk about how rape is bad!" Some people might legitimately get upset if magazines did that. Which they do, and some people get upset by it.

It's like khalid said, it's a glorification. With Hussein it was a villification.

Not like I care personally. It's fucking rolling stone. They haven't exactly been a relevant pillar of society in ever.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My first guess would be that it's cheaper than some IR/UV light that you'd need a special scope to see.

I mean why wouldn't you want a visible pointer on your target? The entire idea is that your target is gonna be dead soon so what does it matter?
To start with, it means there's a visible red dot coming from your weapon, making it incredibly easy to spot you.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think you might be overthinking that one. If you've got a laser gun, maybe you want people to see it.

Szlia

If the dot is in infra red, it would be invisible to the human eye but visible to a video camera. You can test it by facing a remote control toward a camera and push buttons...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
grabbing money.
WTF do you think Rolling Stone has been doing since before this piece of crap was even born? Personally. not sure what all the OMG terrorist on the front page crap is about. Sorta hope the cop loses his job tho. He violated the law, Rolling Stone did not. We have another thread to discuss that particular issue tho.

Fadaar

That guy
If the dot is in infra red, it would be invisible to the human eye but visible to a video camera. You can test it by facing a remote control toward a camera and push buttons...
I thought IR lasers were usually green to be compatible with nightvision? Or are those lasers different and just run on a wavelength not visible to the human eye except when the light emitted is massively amplified (ie NVG's)?

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah I'm getting nightvision and infrared mixed up. I should know better
tongue.png

Sgt A. Capwn_sl

shitlord
That definitely looks like someone within small arms range but not sure what the device or it's purpose is (other than the obvious) because the dot is definitely too big for your traditional weapons laser anyways (I only have experience with PSQ-18 [for 203's) and the AN/PAQ-4). I can't imagine a police sniper is using anything that would be visible to the naked eye in a low light/vis situation anyways

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think people are giving police departments too much credit on their equipment choices. Many departments officers still have to purchase their own patrol rifles. Many departments still use rifles like the Mini-14. They are definetly not all state of the art on the equipment end, could just as easily be a low end red dot.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
My brothers friend was a marine sniper, and he said their trained to shoot for center mass--so I thought that dot was probably from someone just being dumb. However, some googlefu says military typically goes for center mass because they tend to shoot at extreme distances, while police force snipers like the be special snowflakes and go for fancy shots because they can be close. So maybe it was just some suburbia based police sniper being cute.

Eonan

Doer of Things
My brothers friend was a marine sniper, and he said their trained to shoot for center mass--so I thought that dot was probably from someone just being dumb. However, some googlefu says military typically goes for center mass because they tend to shoot at extreme distances, while police force snipers like the be special snowflakes and go for fancy shots because they can be close. So maybe it was just some suburbia based police snipe being cute.
Yes and no, wouldn't be out of the ordinary to try for the head shot when there is the possibility of a suicide vest. Otherwise center mass is the way to go my favorite quote ever was from this crazy 18B who constantly said "Eyes to the target...sights to the eyes...and break that mother fuckers back"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yes and no, wouldn't be out of the ordinary to try for the head shot when there is the possibility of a suicide vest.
Why? That makes no sense. A sniper caliber round will cut through explosives like butter, and explosives don't blow up no matter how much you shoot at them or throw cigarettes and matches at them, or even most other stupid ideas like throwing grenades at them. If its the terrible home made stuff, you'd probably at worst start a fire.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Think the explosives comment was for some sort of triggering decive, IE a situation where you want a instant stop, which would mean severing the brain stem.