Bought my kid a violin - where to get it tuned/upgraded?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Hard to say. It looks like a solid instrument, but you won't know until you play it. I'm all for buying nearly everything online, but violins are really so much about how that particular instrument sounds. You can give it a whirl and see how it plays.

I'd encourage you to find a dealer so your kid can go and play the instrument and you can get advice from the people at the dealership. It's really worth it. If you PM me what major city centre you're near I can get you a list of dealers if you'd like.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Hard to say. It looks like a solid instrument, but you won't know until you play it. I'm all for buying nearly everything online, but violins are really so much about how that particular instrument sounds. You can give it a whirl and see how it plays.

I'd encourage you to find a dealer so your kid can go and play the instrument and you can get advice from the people at the dealership. It's really worth it. If you PM me what major city centre you're near I can get you a list of dealers if you'd like.

Dallas

iannis

Musty Nester
He'll need to play it. Just to make sure that it's physically comfortable for him. It's all standardized and all that, but different instruments do just feel different. I mean there's no mystique to it. It's just small differences in construction can make noticable differences. Most instruments feel the exact same. But there are some that just feel right, and some that just feel wrong.

You may even have a local instrument maker. I'd be a surprised if Dallas didn't have one. Someone has set up shop. Even cowboys fiddle at the ro-de-o.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>

FWIW I would second this really good advice. If he's already taken to it and is outpacing the first instrument that was purchased then he's entering the area where he's going to need to sit down and play a bunch of violins to find a good fit for him; He's leaving the one size fits all instruments and is right at the precipice of needing something unique to how he likes playing. Graduating up to a classical store stringed instrument is a really cool step to take, congratulations sir!