Boxing

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck, sending a sheep to the slaughter. C'mon Canelo, get in the ring and take an ass-kicking. We'll all love you for it.

Fuck, yeah that Selena-wannabe tranny was awful.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What's going on with GGG is exactly why boxing isn't really relevant anymore.

Column_sl

shitlord
What's going on with GGG is exactly why boxing isn't really relevant anymore.
I probly shouldn't respond to the obvious troll attempt, but Boxing is doing very well right now.

Also fighters have been ducking fights since forever.....

GGG just doesn't have the self promotion of a Ali, or a Conor to call out everyone on it. If he did he would be on sporting news all the time calling fighters out.

Column_sl

shitlord
By what metric?
What you got.

Pacman vs Mayweather was 5 million pvp buys.

UFC has never been over 1.6 (UFC 100 when it was at it's height of popularity) with much bigger cards sporting more then one top fighter.

Boxing has an event on every week ,and is on multiple networks (NBC, HBO, Showtime, PPV), and more top fighters are emerging. It's a sport that is not going anywhere. It's an Olympic sport.

You put GGG against Canelo thats another 3 million ppv

Canelo decides to fight pacman that's 2 million easy

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
The politics and the annoyance of fighters avoiding one another absolutely hurts boxing in terms of the weight it carries in modern day pop culture. The simple fact is, it will never be as big as it once was in this country, fighting is just really difficult, and there are others venues our best athletes take to make a living.

In the same return, the "death" of boxing is certainly over stated. I understand it doesn't do nearly what it used to, but 4.6 million PPV for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight and UFC comparable numbers and sometimes better on national tv when PBC was actually putting on good fights, is still pretty good. It will always hold a weight in America, there is always a hunger for the best to lace up the gloves and perform the sweet science. It could do itself so many fucking favors, if they would get over the fucking politics and vagina shit and fight each other. At least the new heavyweights actually wanna fight, it's a start.

Column_sl

shitlord
Besides the politics, I think what really hurt the talent pool 5 years ago was the lack of Black talent.

Boxing/Pugilism has always been a poverty sport in America ,and when Boxing gyms are closing left, and right due to MMA gyms taking over you get a dip in American talent.

Other Countries it's heavily entwined into their culture. South America, Eastern Europe etc so they are not going to see that same type of dip the Americans faced.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Besides the politics, I think what really hurt the talent pool 5 years ago was the lack of Black talent.

Boxing/Pugilism has always been a poverty sport in America ,and when Boxing gyms are closing left, and right due to MMA gyms taking over you get a dip in American talent.

Other Countries it's heavily entwined into their culture. South America, Eastern Europe etc so they are not going to see that same type of dip the Americans faced.
Honestly, MMA has done a great job building itself up but just like boxing, the level of athlete that takes place on our side now in combat sports is quite a bit lower than the major sports. Like you pointed out, fighting is just crazy hard, gym life is a drain. It really is a poverished man's game. Also the reason why you have these Ukrainians, Cubans, Russians etc come in and just look consistently overwhelming. It's because those nations get their best athletes to box/wrestle and shit still. Still, when a Floyd Mayweather, Andre Ward, and Jones in MMA come along it's hard to still beat our best. You definitely don't get the Ali's, Foreman's, and Joe Louis' in American boxing anymore, and if you do it's a Floyd Mayweather who is an enigma.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boxing is talent rich right now in a lot of the divisions. The promoters and networks really need to come together to draw the casual fan back in. There is a good 2+ years worth of interesting middleweight and heavyweight fights alone. I'd love to see some super 6 cards sets up. If you can make super 6 tournaments in 3 or 4 divisions then run cards with 1 fight from each division, you'd have some really quality cards from start to finish.. Pipe dream tho:-(

Canelo has really backed himself in a corner with GGG.. You can't use weight as an excuse not to fight at 160 then walk in the right at 168. What is worse is he comes from a culture that is known for fighters who take on all comers and make no excuses. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd expect a backlash by the mexican fans if he drops the title instead of fighting GGG

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Politics is what really is hurting boxing, and sadly it will probably continue.

Yeah, and the irony of De La Hoya biding his time with the fight when he used to bash Floyd all the time for very business safe fights. I know DLH is just maximizing money, but dear God. I think there is a decent chance Canelo will look at this fall, he is hearing the talk & feeling the pressure. Kid has tons of a heart, but we could see Lemieux - Canelo in Fall before a potential GGG fight...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really were. If Williams fights Stevenson the same way he fought Rodriquez, that's going to be a really fun fight.

I'm guessing Berto is next for Garcia, I'm ok with that but winner needs to fight winner of Thurman-Porter

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mayweather Productions filed for trademarks to "TMT 50" and "TBE 50" on April 21, ESPN.com has learned. Records recently posted on the U.S. Patent and Trademark website confirm the filings
Hopefully he fights a legit guy

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What you got.

Pacman vs Mayweather was 5 million pvp buys.

UFC has never been over 1.6 (UFC 100 when it was at it's height of popularity) with much bigger cards sporting more then one top fighter.

Boxing has an event on every week ,and is on multiple networks (NBC, HBO, Showtime, PPV), and more top fighters are emerging. It's a sport that is not going anywhere. It's an Olympic sport.

You put GGG against Canelo thats another 3 million ppv

Canelo decides to fight pacman that's 2 million easy
You're basically saying there are 3 boxers who can get bigger draws than UFC, and two of them are "retired".

UFC will consistently get around 1 million ppv buys and have 13 PPV events per year. There are 28 televised events per year so it's a much more consistent product than a super fight every few years.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Boxing just adopted/enforced UFC's mandatory defense of #1 contender rule, boxing would have much more consistency with ratings and overall cards. I could even deal with keeping the 4 major sanctioning bodies. But UFC doesn't generate the same kind of money boxing does. You have a lot of fighters consistently making 1+ million per fight on non ppv cards. You don't see that in UFC.

Lot's of super 6 type tournaments as well need to be made.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
You're basically saying there are 3 boxers who can get bigger draws than UFC, and two of them are "retired".

UFC will consistently get around 1 million ppv buys and have 13 PPV events per year. There are 28 televised events per year so it's a much more consistent product than a super fight every few years.
UFC doesn't even do remotely close to 13 million ppv's. Mayweather-Pacquiao out did UFCs 2014 PPV sales, and Zuffa exaggerates their PPV sales, partially why they never actually release a number. Boxing has relegated itself to a niche level behind the pay walls that are HBO & Showtime, and will never unite under a singular banner. UFC certainly offers a more consistent product, in the same return their fighters get paid like absolute shit and they are lucky no one else really invests in combat sports. Boxing/MMA are niche sports, none of this is surprising. They have an audience, and always will be, especially for super fights. But they will never remotely get close to the major sports.

I do completely agree however with how badly match ups are in boxing. The amount of ducking, and bogus fucking mandatory orders are a joke. Having 4 different major boxing commissions is another joke. Half these PPV's are overpriced and under cards have no additional drawing power. Unless it's a Garcia-Matthysse type fight back when Mayweather-Canelo happened.

The fact that America's top athletes don't really box anymore, unless it's a Floyd Maywather (smaller man), doesn't help at all. Boxing will always go off it's superstars, and the US just lost it's biggest.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Part of Mayweather/Pac doing more than all of UFC in 2014 is that 2014 was a really low year for UFC. They had only 3 million buys while 2015 was almost 8 million.

They're still lower than I thought, probably because you only hear about the ones in the 1 mil range. Still goes back to the point where boxing is all about 3-4 guys, 2 of which are "retired". Of the remaining 2, one is dodging the other