Boxing

joz123

Potato del Grande
Mayweather is the San Antonio Spurs of Boxing. You know is good but still boring as hell to watch.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
He was but he still got beat by Buster Douglas in his prime with no excuses. He was insane tho, but not on Roy Jones level. Roy in his prime was the greatest boxer ever to watch.
No arguments here. RJ was my favorite and outclassed everyone at his weight by an absurd margin.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Mayweather is the San Antonio Spurs of Boxing. You know is good but still boring as hell to watch.
I must be weird than because I love watching the Spurs play, and I enjoyed watching Mayweather this fight for basically the exact same reasons. The Spurs are literally the polar opposite of boring to me. In a league full of hero ball dogshit, I don't know how anyone who understands the sport of basketball concludes that the Spurs are the boring team of the bunch (not an attack on you, I know my opinion is in the minority on this).

I don't know how people conclude that watching retards jack up contested shots over and over is somehow more exciting than watching the Spurs execute multiple perfect passes to find the open man for a wide open shot. It has boggled my mind for the last year.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This fight just reminds me why the UFC is destroying boxing.
Yep. It was good for a modern boxing match but fun to watch? Not very. Mayweather is an awesome boxer but that shit is boring. Pacman did have a horrible plan but Myweather is extremely hard to get past...like 48-0 hard to get past. Nothing was more fun than 70s boxing or the 2 minutes Tyson would destroy someone(or the show Roy Jones would put up).

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I must be weird than because I love watching the Spurs play, and I enjoyed watching Mayweather this fight for basically the exact same reasons. The Spurs are literally the polar opposite of boring to me. In a league full of hero ball dogshit, I don't know how anyone who understands the sport of basketball concludes that the Spurs are the boring team of the bunch (not an attack on you, I know my opinion is in the minority on this).
There's a difference though. The Spurs are wildly entertaining when faced with a dangerous opponent, that's when they go nuclear. See: this series, last year's finals, the finals before that, the Mavs series last year, etc. Floyd is only really entertaining(not admirable, not amazing, entertaining) when he's outclassing some dude so hard he can style on him(Ricky Hatton).

Plus, the Spurs brought Euro-style space and pace passing and team defense to the NBA as an archetype, and the league is way more entertaining because of it. This is the best and most popular the league has ever been. Nobody copies Floyd because no one can, and if they could literally everyone, including boxing purists, would slit their wrists.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My favorite boxer was James Toney. He wasn't always in shape, didn't always win, and certainly wasn't the best ever, but damn if he wasn't always entertaining! He was a pretty good defensive fighter, too.

Anyhow, the comments about the highest purse, Megafight between Mayweather and Pacman are at least entertaining.

Anyone pay for the fight? Thoughts and feels?

Ryan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm not particularly a fan of Mayweather, but I can't see this as anything but a very convincing win. He didn't run. Anyone who saw that probably doesn't understand defense in boxing. Its about the equivalent of expecting basketball teams to clear out and allow open 3's and dunks and just see who can make more in 48 minutes.

I had always thought that maybe 4-5 years ago Pacquiao would have been able to win, but now even that seems doubtful.

Column_sl

shitlord
Toney was really good. In fact he was unbeatable at one point, he was just unlucky to live in the same time as that freak of nature Roy Jones.

Roy didn't exist, and Toney would have been one of the greats.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
O yeah he was watch this video. The diffrence was Jones was faster then anyone alive, and had insane knockout power. He was pretty much super human in his prime
No doubt that Jones was flashier and faster than Mayweather, but technically? Mayweather wins hands down over Jones Jr., technically. Roy was able to dominate fighters so easily because he was just so much fucking faster. The truly great technical fighters are still able to maintain their dominance once they age and their speed slows down. Once his age started to surpass his speed, you saw what happened.

Furthermore, Jones never really beat anybody impressive, outside of maybe Toney, Tarver (who whopped his ass twice later) Hopkins (he was like fucking 20 pounds heavier than Hopkins at weigh-in, so that one is questionable) and maybe Griffin?. The only other really notable victories were against an old Felix Trinadad and a 45 year old (lol) Hopkins. That was always my biggest issue with Jones. The dude fought almost noting but cans in his prime, because he never challenged himself once he got his big HBO contract. He was certainly one of the greatest of his generation and one of the most exciting/tantalizing physical talents the sport has seen, but his resume just isn't good enough to even hold a candle to guys like Robinson, Louis, Ali, Pep, Leonard, etc.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Anyone who saw that probably doesn't understand defense in boxing.
The difference is there are really good defensive teams who use their defense to start fast breaks. The Warriors, for example. Then there are really good defensive teams that use their defense to get the ball, walk up the court, set up a slow-as-fuck offense passing it into and out of the post a few times as everyone stands around. Like the Grizzlies.

Boxing is the same way. You can have exciting defensive boxers who are masterful counter punchers. Defense to set up offense, which is arguably more exciting than just pure offense.

Then there's doing just enough to win rounds and go on the defensive to set up more defense. Exciting fights are where the fighters take risks. Mayweather isn't that exciting because he doesn't really take risks, he doesn't have to and he doesn't want to. He doesn't give a shit if he scores the knockout or wins over the crowd. Do enough to be ahead and then grind to the finish line playing it safe and defensive.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
He was but he still got beat by Buster Douglas in his prime with no excuses. He was insane tho, but not on Roy Jones level. Roy in his prime was the greatest boxer ever to watch.
There was an excuse. That week prior to the fight (or around that time frame) his sparring partner had knocked him on his ass. Flue or whatever if I remember correctly. They made a big hub bub about something you would never see, which was Tyson on the mat.

Fight was boring as expected BTW. Christ I just can't stand Mayweather. Like watching paint dry. And Paccy fell for damn near the obvious tactic hook line and sinker.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Jones Jr. also fell off a cliff and there were rumors at the time it was either cocaine or that he stopped taking a designer steroid. I don't know if anyone ever came out with what exactly happened but he literally went from unbeatable to a garbage can in about two years, and that really hurt his legacy.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Roy Jones Jr. was my boy when it came to boxing. Then I stopped caring. Mayweather reinforced why I don't care about modern boxing tonight.

Sad, really. Manny had him on the ropes a couple of times and simply couldn't/didn't capitalize on it. Him thinking he won at the end was absolutely heartbreaking.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jones Jr. also fell off a cliff and there were rumors at the time it was either cocaine or that he stopped taking a designer steroid. I don't know if anyone ever came out with what exactly happened but he literally went from unbeatable to a garbage can in about two years, and that really hurt his legacy.
I think that the two devastating KO loses to Tarver and Johnson turned him into damaged goods by the time it was time to fight Calzaghe. If not for those two KOs, a win over Calzaghe, it would have easily cemented his legacy. He just spent too much of his prime fighting cans and then fucked around too much later in his career by bouncing between weights. Plus, like I said, once he didn't have the only tool in his arsenal anymore (speed/athleticism), he started getting demolished.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
CED2pD6WEAAiTPg.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
Uh, he was all speed and power. It leaves you eventually, that's a young man game. That's why Floyd can fight so far into his 30's is he relies on defense.

After the heavy weight belt he should have just quit, He was 34, and there was nothing else for him to do in the sport. He was getting older, but he's dumb like most sport personalities, and tries to play past his prime.
He's still boxing. He fought twice this year.

Win 61-8 United States Paul Vasquez TKO 1 (12) 2015-03-28 United States Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Florida Retained WBU (German version) Cruiserweight title.
Win 60-8 United States Willie Williams TKO 2 (10), 2:38 2015-03-06 United States Cabarrus Arena & Events Center, Concord, North Carolina

The only falling off the cliff was him getting older, and trying to do the things he relied on when he was young, and instead of super human he was just a regular boxer.