Boy... that escalated quickly

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After thinking about it some more my recommendation in that circumstance is to ask to be re-seated. Sure things would be nice if everyone parented like lurkingdirk, but if a group of parents are idly sitting by watching their little monsters throw ice at Haast it's not like you're going to get a good dining experience by asking the manager to ask the parents to ask the kids to stfu. Either deal with it or reseat yourselves.

And it's no surprise the store sold them out. They'd rather shift responsibility and use the patrons as the basis for their actions than risk getting shafted on whatever tip they could salvage from a shit family. My recommendations: Don't go there anymore and if you're really pissed, write shit on their facebook/send them an email.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I appreciate all angles and opinions on this.. In retrospect I felt dumb that I could have put my wife in danger by simply not pushing past the people on the way out/not interacting with them at all.

I don't think I did anything wrong by going to the manager to ask to either be re-seated or get that table to calm down. At the time we complained the girls apparently didn't have any supervision there at all. Just a pile of girls running amok. I agree with LurkingDirk too. If I had ever behaved the way those girl's were in a public setting and a complaint reached my parents I would have had my hide tanned and deserved it.
No, you didn't do anything wrong there. And your request should have been granted promptly. Also the management should have never pointed you out specifically when telling the parents there was a complaint. While I still think you kind of should have expected that kind of atmosphere at that particular establishment, and had no business getting in the confrontation with the parents (despite the fact that you were right and they were wrong), the management deserves a chunk of the blame for the situation getting to the point it reached.

If you are interested in continuing to frequent that restaurant, I might give the manager/owner a call to discuss how they could have alleviate the situation better. I know some people don't like to call in and "complain" but they can't fix a problem that they don't know about. Plus if they are at all interested in keeping your business they should hook you up with a free meal for your troubles.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
After thinking about it some more my recommendation in that circumstance is to ask to be re-seated. Sure things would be nice if everyone parented like lurkingdirk, but if a group of parents are idly sitting by watching their little monsters throw ice at Haast it's not like you're going to get a good dining experience by asking the manager to ask the parents to ask the kids to stfu. Either deal with it or reseat yourselves.

And it's no surprise the store sold them out. They'd rather shift responsibility and use the patrons as the basis for their actions than risk getting shafted on whatever tip they could salvage from a shit family. My recommendations: Don't go there anymore and if you're really pissed, write shit on their facebook/send them an email.
This is a good post. Not because I'm being commended for parenting, for which I thank you, but because the reaction is right. The restaurant should have had your back better. Being reseated might have helped, but the restaurant should have done more for you. Don't go there again. Not because there are douche kids, but because there are douche parents, and the restaurant doesn't care.

I hope you didn't leave much of a tip. They didn't serve you very well.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you are interested in continuing to frequent that restaurant, I might give the manager/owner a call to discuss how they could have alleviate the situation better. I know some people don't like to call in and "complain" but they can't fix a problem that they don't know about. Plus if they are at all interested in keeping your business they should hook you up with a free meal for your troubles.
I wouldn't go to that restaurant again, myself. Not for all the apologies in the world. There are uncountable numbers of places to go, and unless that one is Behemoth's favourite place on Earth, by placing him in the situation he ended up in (through directly pointing him out to a table of people that couldn't give two shits), they have done him the biggest disservice imaginable in a service industry. The guy might as well have punched him in the gut himself when he complained about the kids in the first place. Nah, I wouldn't even give that place a second glance. They don't deserve the money or the time.

My mother is fond of reminding me that if I don't complain at a shitty restaurant, I'm not giving them an opportunity to correct the issue that bothered me. My response to that is that I don't care about their issues or their bottom line -- I care about how I'm treated, and if I'm treated poorly, I'll eat somewhere else. Plenty of other restaurants out there that will be better, and I'd rather give them a first chance than give some assholes a second one.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Meh, I hear ya. But my philosophy always has been when it comes to dealing with less than ideal service at a place is it' isn't the problem itself, but how they deal with my problem that decides whether a place keeps my business or not. Even my most favorite restaurants don't get it right 100% of the time. Granted, the place has to have some sort of redeeming quality to begin with (eg the food is always great but one waitress just sucks or something along those lines). But I'm not going to bail on a restaurant that I like and frequent based on one bad experience unless they don't take care of the problem.

And I know from being on the other side of the coin that you aren't exactly dealing with the highest quality workers in the restaurant industry and there have been issues at my place that I would have never even known about until a customer alerted me to it, even when I worked in the stores full time. But damn right if I didn't fix the issue right away and hooked up the customer with a refund and freebies for bringing the issue to my attention. (As much as a thank-you as it is an apology)

But you aren't alone in your attitude. For every person like your mom, there are 10 like you who just will never come back. It is important to get it right the first time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I can agree that if the service issue is simple (the waiter/waitress sucks, for example), but everything is great otherwise, I'll likely try to talk to someone and figure something out before I abandon the place altogether. It essentially comes down to this: If I can deal with it before we leave the restaurant, right there and then, and someone shows some concern, I have faith that the issue will be dealt with. If they flip me off or tell me to just deal and move on, I'll do just that, and never return.

There are a couple of places that I frequent that don't necessarily have the greatest food in the world, but they've always treated me well, without so much as a peep from me. That's why I go back. In a service industry, you shouldn't have to try to get good service. It should be the norm, or something's already wrong.

Edit: I gotta say, though, some of these places are definitely too busy to notice when one bad employee is ruining everything for customers. As you said, the majority of people are like me -- they'll cut their losses after one visit and never come back, leaving the terrible employee to continue in his/her ways, and it would suck for an owner. Perhaps I should be more vocal...

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
As far as I know all of the Chuy's in AZ had to shut down because they got raided and the majority of their employees were illegal. I am also pretty sure Chuy's is or was counter service and you can pick your own seat.

Edit

Yephttp://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...shut-down.html
Haven't been to one in like 2 years so that makes since why the one near me is shutdown then. And yeah it was counter service when I went there.

ask to be reseated, if not reseated walk the fuck out. smile at the fucktards as you leave and tell em 'have a nice night'. passive aggressive 'my jimmies aint rustled' is how you handle shitty people and their shitty kids and shitty restaurants who give shitty service. public shaming might or might not get through to them at some point, fuck em either way.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Even in shitty chain family places, you should expect a certain level of service. Like customers not throwing shit and screaming and whatever. That is way way over the line. But I do agree with the people here saying you should have just walked away. Once you have kids, or even before that really, you have to consider the situation. Being a dead or crippled badass won't mean shit to your family, they won't remember the time you stood up for them at the Chuy's over some random shit. If you can, just walk away.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Your kids might also remember you as the pussy who was scared off by some faggot at Chuy's.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
As far as I know all of the Chuy's in AZ had to shut down because they got raided and the majority of their employees were illegal. I am also pretty sure Chuy's is or was counter service and you can pick your own seat.
Interesting. The locations in Texas are not counter service; I guess they redid the concept as they expanded further away. In Austin, where it started, it's a beloved local restaurant.

Good times trivia: Jenna Bush's much publicized Minor in Possession was given at the original Chuy's location.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Meh, I hear ya. But my philosophy always has been when it comes to dealing with less than ideal service at a place is it' isn't the problem itself, but how they deal with my problem that decides whether a place keeps my business or not. Even my most favorite restaurants don't get it right 100% of the time. Granted, the place has to have some sort of redeeming quality to begin with (eg the food is always great but one waitress just sucks or something along those lines). But I'm not going to bail on a restaurant that I like and frequent based on one bad experience unless they don't take care of the problem.
I'd be less upset about the shitty family than I would be the shitty restaurant. The fact that they pointed out who the complaint was from is absolutely fucked up. There's literally no reason that that should've happened, and it was the entire reason for the confrontation. For THAT reason, if it were me, I'd never go there again.

panda_assassin

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, OP, you're a douche. That's like going to Chuck-E-Cheese and complaining about noise.
Haha couldn't have said it better myself. It's a fucking Chuy's from my one experience there you could've quietly re-seated yourself with no problems whatsoever and not ruined your five dollar a plate day out. Honestly the whole standing up to everyone seems like a made up shoulda coulda woulda afterthought, but if it isn't why the hell are you attempting to pick fights with a pregnant wife around, grow up and suck it up.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'd punch the manager in the face for trying to start some shit. Probably has that shit on a iphone getting ready to post on youtube.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Haha couldn't have said it better myself. It's a fucking Chuy's from my one experience there you could've quietly re-seated yourself with no problems whatsoever and not ruined your five dollar a plate day out. Honestly the whole standing up to everyone seems like a made up shoulda coulda woulda afterthought, but if it isn't why the hell are you attempting to pick fights with a pregnant wife around, grow up and suck it up.

Except you could have said it better, since as has been mentioned a few times in the thread the one he went to was not some ultra casual counter service deal and he couldn't haved quietly reseated himself.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I probably would have handled it similarly. The staff were pussies, but the tard parents were way worse. You couldn't anticipate that kind of response.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Here's what I probably would of done:

1. I would of complained. If the manager singled me out and nothing changed, I would of asked to be moved.
2. I would of just left after the meal, not saying anything. (My wife is also 30 weeks pregnant with our first child, which is also a daughter *hifive*)
3. If grandma pushed out into the aisle like that, I probably would of said, "Relax grandma" and kept on moving.

Now if some dude got up and got into my face, I would of gotten into his. I am not going to turn my back on someone so they can bash my head in with something.