Bridge of Spies: Spielberg/Hanks Cold War Oscarbait

khorum

Murder Apologist
Spielberg does period pieces when he feels like he should be getting more statues.

I predict a Tom Hanks/HBO cold war miniseries if this takes off. So yeah, make it take off.

Juvarisx

Florida
Speilberg doesn't really do Oscarbait, he just makes really solid movies on things that actually interest him.

Anyways, looks good

khorum

Murder Apologist
There's a few of these cold-war period pieces coming out this year, actually. This one did well in the film festival circuit.

Pawn Sacrifice is another one getting oscar buzz, supposedly more about Bobby Fisher going batshit and the US playing up his crazy just in case he lost to the Russians.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Saw this last night. It's your typical well rounded Spielberg flick with great acting and a solid story.

Question... Has hanks ever played a bad guy? I guess he was bad in some of Cloud Atlas. Anything bigger and badderer?

Sterling

El Presidente
Saw this last night. It's your typical well rounded Spielberg flick with great acting and a solid story.

Question... Has hanks ever played a bad guy? I guess he was bad in some of Cloud Atlas. Anything bigger and badderer?
He doesn't really do villain roles. He was a hitman in Road to Perdition, He was in Ladykillers, and if you want to play it out as him being a shithead in that ladies baseball movie, but that's a stretch.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mmmmm Road to Perdition.

I wish Sam Mendes would get back to doing non-Bond films.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I get that it's not a popular opinion, but I fucking hate Tom Hanks. This guy is exactly why everyone in the world should hate what we call "acting". The guy has absolutely no training. He was one of the worst actors in America who was stuck doing shit like Volunteers and Joe vs the Volcano before he decided to play an AIDS patient who was lucky enough to bank on the racism that forced everyone to think it wasn't that new young guy named Denzel who was the real talent in the film. Then he plays a retard.... Then he plays a War Hero who dies for his country in WW2...

These aren't exactly roles that are designed for ANY OTHER REASON than gaining a false sympathy and therefore rewards....like being decorated by the US military for your role in a fucking movie rather than fix the VA.

In any event, to finish my rant, I invite Mist and her faggotry to take a look at this, and then boycott Tom Hanks. This entire show is about 2 guys who mock women (while in drag so they can get their benefits and live where they do), and it's how Tom Hanks made his bones. I won't mention Splash and Bachelor Party...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Has hanks ever played a bad guy? I guess he was bad in some of Cloud Atlas. Anything bigger and badderer?
He was the evil doctor in Cloud Atlas.
X17puIB.gif

Zastlyn

Peasant
Just saw this movie, it was great. A solid 8.5/10 for anyone on the fence about seeing it. If you don't like it come back and neg me then.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
I get that it's not a popular opinion, but I fucking hate Tom Hanks. This guy is exactly why everyone in the world should hate what we call "acting". The guy has absolutely no training. He was one of the worst actors in America who was stuck doing shit like Volunteers and Joe vs the Volcano before he decided to play an AIDS patient who was lucky enough to bank on the racism that forced everyone to think it wasn't that new young guy named Denzel who was the real talent in the film. Then he plays a retard.... Then he plays a War Hero who dies for his country in WW2...

These aren't exactly roles that are designed for ANY OTHER REASON than gaining a false sympathy and therefore rewards....like being decorated by the US military for your role in a fucking movie rather than fix the VA.

In any event, to finish my rant, I invite Mist and her faggotry to take a look at this, and then boycott Tom Hanks. This entire show is about 2 guys who mock women (while in drag so they can get their benefits and live where they do), and it's how Tom Hanks made his bones. I won't mention Splash and Bachelor Party...

Not sure why Jait went on a rant, but i can't imagine any other actor as Forest Gump. I will admit i can think of quite a few actors who could have been better in Philadelphia and Saving Private Ryan. However my point is Tom Hanks is a good actor, not great, so what? His real talent is making friends in Hollywood and selecting roles only in great films. Think of some of your favorite actors who have only been in a handful of decent films. Whats wrong with them? They are probably insane or difficult to work with. Tom Hanks deserved those parts.
Anyway i will see this film and also rewatch Road to Perdition, a great film.

Szlia

I have never been a huge Tom Hanks fan, even if he stared in a number of movies I enjoyed, but he is very good in Captain Phillips.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Joe vs the Volcano is awesome!
It is. Ever since that movie I've used Meg Ryan's line in this scene quite often just to fuck with people, or when they ask me something so stupid I can't possibly respond with what I want to say.

Unfortunately I did say it years ago at my ten year high school reunion "pre-party" when I was hammered out of my mind and one of the (still) hottest girls in my class was telling me that since graduating she had spent those ten years being a dog walker. She apparently hadn't seen the movie, or thought it was funny.