BrightBurn (2019)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
One of my fantasy is to become Superman and do what he does best: crash into building and kill thousands of people.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this tonight, my local AMC is doing something weird where Aladdin is playing during the day on IMAX/Dolby and Brightburn the last two night showings in Dolby. Doing the same split with Godzilla/RocketMan next weekend, but figured I might as well see Brightburn in Dolby while I can.

I really enjoyed it, the kid is CREEPY AS FUCK and a great actor. He's like a young Kevin Spacey, hopefully not as rapey. I really liked how all the characters behaved rationally and what they did made sense, and every moment of the movie felt like it was driven by a single idea "what if superman was evil". Very short clocking in at 1h30m but felt a bit long for some reason. Extremely low budget ($6m) so hopefully it does well and spawns some ripoffs/etc. The casting is great, Badger from Breaking Bad is in it as is the guy who played Pam's first warehouse boyfriend in The Office, he and Elizabeth Banks are fantastic. Damn she's still hot.

If you like comic book movies I think you'll enjoy this. Do not take any kids, there are a few gory scenes. Nothing spectacular effects wise so might as well see it at home if you don't wanna drag your ass out to theaters. I hope some day DC rips off the basic idea and puts it into a $100m+ movie, would love to see this with a massive visuals budget behind it.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
It was...okay?

I mean it was basically a Superman Origin story if Superman went crazy. The only thing that didn't really make it a better movie was just grabbing the premise by the balls and making it a complete inverse of the superman origin complete with "Badguy" to defeat in the same manner that superman usually gets someone to defeat. Maybe you could basically have one of the people near him awaken as a "hero" and he goes all Anti-superman on him and just murders the shit out of him.

It's an interesting premise but I guess I'm just "origin Storied" out at this point, even though I think this is a one-shot.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Saw this with the wife tonight and we really enjoyed it as it left us with a lot of questions on where they go from here with it.
Credit sequence with Breaking News events was a nice touch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this with the wife tonight and we really enjoyed it as it left us with a lot of questions on where they go from here with it.

Nowhere is my guess.

Gunn is back with Disney and Disney doesn't share. I mean they could do the resident evil thing and basically shuffle it to a thousand directors but the only issue with that is Milla Jovovich isn't part of the cast so you can't get her director husband on board with doing that.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why, but just seeing Sony Pictures Entertainment, showing Gunn's name and his sense of humor w/ troma and Slither.. gives me feelings of them green lighting it purely because they're on the mcu goldmine and laughing at dceu by basically making a superman with all their free money.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I liked this, feel like watching Chronicle again now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just saw this preview. Not big into "true" horror, so the parody aspect and being a straight rip of Superman has perked my interests. Trails off Batfleck's mental attitude about the insane and scary the power level of Superman is to the general populace.
I wonder if in the process of murdering everyone in this one, does he stop to sexually assault Lana Lang? Is his mom gonna have to kill him with a weapon/kryptonite from his spaceship? Does Bruce Wayne exist in this world? Is he equally fucked?
Well, I was right, but also wrong.

This movie was.... well, it was just "OK". I'm glad I had free passes for this, as I would have been disappointed I hadn't waited for it to come out on digital. It's an interesting watch, pretty typical horror, but overall relatively shallow as balls in cold water. Three gory scenes. Zero tension. Not well developed characters. A lot of time wasted on thematic shots. Movie can be boiled down to about 25 minutes and not lose anything. Gunn didn't direct, and it shows. He just produced, which means it was his idea, but others executed their vision of it. There's a stark lack of humor, which is pretty trademark Gunn. Instead it's fairly bland, and kinna stupid in parts.

2/5.

Fortunately it's only 100 minutes or whatever, so if you have nothing else to watch, hopefully it'll be on Netflix soon...

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
It was ok, if you saw the trailer you pretty much saw the movie.

Would be great if someone had the balls to due a sequel with him as an adult just destroying everything. Then tie it into something like Glass (but way better) with average joe humans getting powered up to stop him.

That or just make irrevocable. I want a villain POV centered story. Sadly they made Venom into a hero.

• 1Mother of God

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the movie was pretty meh. it wasn't terrible or anything but nothing really outstanding either. that being said i'd be totally up for a brightburn universe where the bad guys just keep winning. the ending credits had a little montage of what seemed like other supervillains showing up... have an evil justice league just forcing the world into submission. then have some good superheroes show up to try to fight them off and just get their shit pushed in.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A pretty good HD copy is out for download if not interested in watching this in theaters.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
tempted, but hate when the HC subs are so high on the screen

I played it with the VLC player and it did not have any HC attached to it.

The movie was ok with a couple of interesting parts. The point blank to the face eye beams was the best kill. This movie would have gone from ok to pretty good if they had added 15 minutes of him just taking out the world causing mass death like they started to do right at the end. The cameo made me smile. Its worth a watch for a download.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just saw this, it's a good movie. It's not great, or life changing. I was grateful for the ending! (I mean how they ended it)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched this this weekend. Wasn’t bad. Kid was definitely creepy. Felt like the story moved slow for the first half then ramped up really quickly almost making me feel like I missed something. Entertaining enough watch if you like superheroes.

• 1Like