Building a server for all your needs.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Diving into advanced file systems on Linux! I just bought a second barebones DL380 G7 off ebay for $60 shipped. Got a pair of Xeon L5630's for $4 each, and an LSI SAS9207-BE for 25$. Going to move my MSA60 over to this system and run Linux with probably BTRFS to use as a NAS.

Current DL380 will be VM host.

I was looking at Rockstor for pre-made Linux OS with BTRFS solution, but I'd like to use the availability to use the system for more then solely a NAS. Need to look into how I can incorporate a BTRFS file share with a full fledged linux distro that I can mess with in other ways, maybe ProxMox. Not sure about virtualizing the file share system.
Look into one of the NAS operating systems like FreeNAS.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm trying to stay away from ZFS and it's rigid nature. I have access to a ton of mish-mosh drives and want to use something like BTRFS that more flexible in adding and removing drives. Hence looking at Rockstor over FreeNAS.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want to build a quiet, compact 'server' not in a server form-factor, really just the smallest, quietest headless Threadripper box possible, when the new Threadrippers come out. Any ideas for a chassis?

EDIT: Fuck, not even sure I want to run it completely headless. That makes this even more complicated, might need integrated graphics. Maybe it'll have to be a 9900K on mini ITX.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want to build a quiet, compact 'server' not in a server form-factor, really just the smallest, quietest headless Threadripper box possible, when the new Threadrippers come out. Any ideas for a chassis?

EDIT: Fuck, not even sure I want to run it completely headless. That makes this even more complicated, might need integrated graphics. Maybe it'll have to be a 9900K on mini ITX.
I know nothing about threadripper but when you say small and compact I think Intel NUC which is fairly powerful and close to silent.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
just the smallest, quietest headless Threadripper box possible
That won't work well. The current Threadripper has a TDP of 180W, and rumor has it that the next generation ups the TDP to 250W. For a single socket that is nowhere near quiet nor small.

What would you do with all that CPU horsepower in a small and compact server anyway?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ITX | 5028D-TN4T. 8 Xeon D cores, ~$1200, add your own ram and drives.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I know nothing about threadripper but when you say small and compact I think Intel NUC which is fairly powerful and close to silent.
Yeah I was actually thinking of one of the Hades Canyon NUCs and I might still just do that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That won't work well. The current Threadripper has a TDP of 180W, and rumor has it that the next generation ups the TDP to 250W. For a single socket that is nowhere near quiet nor small.

What would you do with all that CPU horsepower in a small and compact server anyway?
Home Lab running a DC, a Skype for Business Server, an Exchange server and database server, Avaya Aura Communication Manager, Avaya Aura System/Session Manager, Avaya Session Border Controller for Enterprise, Avaya IP Office Server edition and probably a virtual Fortinet but maybe I'll get one out of the trash instead.

You know, stuff.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Home Lab running a DC, a Skype for Business Server, an Exchange server and database server, Avaya Aura Communication Manager, Avaya Aura System/Session Manager, Avaya Session Border Controller for Enterprise, Avaya IP Office Server edition and probably a virtual Fortinet but maybe I'll get one out of the trash instead.

You know, stuff.
Why don't you run like a 2U rack server in a closet?

I love the R720 as a platform.

LabGopher :: Great server deals on eBay

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Did a mini ITX build for a friend in this case - PC – Q25 – LIAN LI

5 hot swap drive bays, can fit quite a double bay GPU. Was a bastard finding a psu to fit but managed to find a 500 watt cooler master modular in the end. Need a bit of planning if you're thinking of packing it with kit.

Lovely case, well built and it's very small. You can carry it under your arm. Looks great too, just plain no stupid flashing lights and stuff.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

You know, stuff.

Triggered.

I fucking hate Avaya with a god damned fucking passion. If it isn't their fucking broken license entitlement website, it's their dogshit tier technical support. We've had a ticket open with them for almost two months trying to track down the reason for intermittent one way audio on their B179 conference phones. They were shit before, but they've gone extra shit since their bankruptcy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Triggered.

I fucking hate Avaya with a god damned fucking passion. If it isn't their fucking broken license entitlement website, it's their dogshit tier technical support. We've had a ticket open with them for almost two months trying to track down the reason for intermittent one way audio on their B179 conference phones. They were shit before, but they've gone extra shit since their bankruptcy.
Do you have traceSM captures from the session manager the SIP station is registered to? The word 'intermittent' here makes me squeamish.

Are all the affected conference phones on the same subnet, or scattered? Is it one-way audio on station-to-station calls internal to the PBX or are provider trunks involved?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Do you have traceSM captures from the session manager the SIP station is registered to? The word 'intermittent' here makes me squeamish.

Are all the affected conference phones on the same subnet, or scattered? Is it one-way audio on station-to-station calls internal to the PBX or are provider trunks involved?

Tbh I'm not the Avaya guru, I'm the guy bashing my Avaya guy to get it fixed and browbeating our Avaya rep over their craptastic support.

I know we have wireshark captures from the core switch so we can see all traffic, and specifically traffic between the B179 and the SBC. What we are seeing is that some calls between the B179 and SBC only have packets going one way, while others are bidirectional. All the B179's are on the same subnet, and this problem only occurs with the conference phones, not desktop phones (and desktop phones are in same subnet as conference phones). All affected calls are outbound over provider trunks. What's doubly weird is the one way audio clears up after a minute or so-- if you stay on the call it eventually sorts itself out. Also, we have a SIP gateway but the phones are h323 I believe.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tbh I'm not the Avaya guru, I'm the guy bashing my Avaya guy to get it fixed and browbeating our Avaya rep over their craptastic support.

I know we have wireshark captures from the core switch so we can see all traffic, and specifically traffic between the B179 and the SBC. What we are seeing is that some calls between the B179 and SBC only have packets going one way, while others are bidirectional. All the B179's are on the same subnet, and this problem only occurs with the conference phones, not desktop phones (and desktop phones are in same subnet as conference phones). All affected calls are outbound over provider trunks. What's doubly weird is the one way audio clears up after a minute or so-- if you stay on the call it eventually sorts itself out. Also, we have a SIP gateway but the phones are h323 I believe.
B179 are definitely SIP stations. I'd need to know what device they register to, a session manager or directly to the SBC/sip gateway (which would be weird and bad) and the full talk path out to the provider. Codec would help too.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't want a rack server because the tiny fans drive me crazy. I want something I can put relatively large, slow fans in. I will probably just built an mATX server with a handle on top. I want something I can tote around with me.
Yeah that's a way to do it just was curious why.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
B179 are definitely SIP stations. I'd need to know what device they register to, a session manager or directly to the SBC/sip gateway (which would be weird and bad) and the full talk path out to the provider. Codec would help too.

We've gotten closer to figuring this stupid problem out. Basically, looking at wiresharks, we are not seeing SIP 180 or 183 messages on calls that have the one way audio issue, while we do see them on successful calls.

Opened a ticket with our carrier (Level 3) and they see that they are only sending them on some calls, but they claim that it is out of their control, can't guarantee that they are always sent, and that it's not a requirement to send them as per the RFC.

It's at "development" with Avaya and they haven't told us crap besides that they are investigating, but obviously the device is not capable of handling calls unless it sees 180/183.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We've gotten closer to figuring this stupid problem out. Basically, looking at wiresharks, we are not seeing SIP 180 or 183 messages on calls that have the one way audio issue, while we do see them on successful calls.

Opened a ticket with our carrier (Level 3) and they see that they are only sending them on some calls, but they claim that it is out of their control, can't guarantee that they are always sent, and that it's not a requirement to send them as per the RFC.

It's at "development" with Avaya and they haven't told us crap besides that they are investigating, but obviously the device is not capable of handling calls unless it sees 180/183.
What type of SBC?

An SBC is a back-to-back user agent, which means the call effectively terminates on the PSTN side and is re-originated by the SBC on the interior side. So even if the PSTN is sending bad messages, the call on the other side of the SBC should be able to be modified to act appropriately.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
What type of SBC?

An SBC is a back-to-back user agent, which means the call effectively terminates on the PSTN side and is re-originated by the SBC on the interior side. So even if the PSTN is sending bad messages, the call on the other side of the SBC should be able to be modified to act appropriately.

SBC is on the carrier side, we don't have one. However the carrier claims the 180/183 messages don't come from the SBC, but once it's passed through the tandem switch to say, Verizon or AT&T. However, they say what is supposed to happen is in the absence of 180/183 progress messages, when the switch sees the 200 message, it is supposed to set up two way audio anyways. Carrier says you can't artificially inject 180/183 messages at the SBC. Basically they are saying there is no RFC obligation to present 180/183, and it's an avaya bug where it is ignoring 200 progress messages.