Building a server for all your needs.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Plex Requests... holy shit. I only share with a couple people, but even then I'm constantly getting asked to add something. Especially since one of those people I share with recently cancelled their cable TV service. This is going to be amazing!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
@a_skeleton_03 I am looking to setup my first homelab. How did you determine what hardware you needed to run what you have? Right now I am looking to run three game servers, Plex, and ownCloud. It is the same cost for me to get a rack mount PowerEdge R610 or an Intel NUC. Is the rack mount overkill? Is the NUC not powerful enough?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
@a_skeleton_03 I am looking to setup my first homelab. How did you determine what hardware you needed to run what you have? Right now I am looking to run three game servers, Plex, and ownCloud. It is the same cost for me to get a rack mount PowerEdge R610 or an Intel NUC. Is the rack mount overkill? Is the NUC not powerful enough?
Let me look into the R610 but I think it is a huge electricity hog for very old tech that a NUC can outpace easily.

One thing though is hard drive mounting for a NUC.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Any reason to go with a nuc over a 710 aside from form factor and power consumption?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
For those of you running OwnCloud, make sure you stay on top of updates I've been reviewing CVEs for years and that software regularly appears there.

I used to use a lot of VMs but a while ago I switched to using lower power systems instead. A raspberry pi 3 is generally fast enough costs practically nothing.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A few months ago I picked up a used lenovo m92p for right about $200 to use as a Plex + home server.
i5 3470T, 4GB ram, 500GB hd that I swapped out for a 120gb ssd I had laying around. Came with a Win10 pro eom key. Also have a 3TB WD NAS to host media/etc.

65" smart samsung in the living room, 50" or 55" w/ chromecast in the bedroom. With just the wife and I, don't think we've had more than just 1 stream going. Owncloud sounds pretty interesting and I'd like to get sql server lite up and running to play around/practice analysis/reporting for work.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
How loud is the R720XD? The last 2U server I had at home was just too loud. What kind of power draw do you have?

dolphinsRsharks

Molten Core Raider
Recently I have become a big believer in virtualization for my home lab. I run ESXi, just because it's what I know, but Hyper-V's feature set is probably better at this point. Sucking power is the biggest concern at home, but Supermicro's X10SRH-CLN4F paired with Intel's Xeon E5-2630Lv3 (55W TPD) fits the power budget nicely while providing enough horsepower to spin up as many VMs as I need/want. I put in 64Gb of RAM (supports 512Gb). Supermicro's integrated IPMI 2.0 is a really nice added bonus with no additional licensing and has come in useful more than once. I would guess though I have about $2k tied up in it, but at the same time I am running one very efficient machine instead of 5 clunkers like I used to have. I think I am saving about $26/mo in power costs, but that is subject to debate as a couple of things all changed at the same time (gas dryer and furnace).

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
For those of you running OwnCloud, make sure you stay on top of updates I've been reviewing CVEs for years and that software regularly appears there.

I used to use a lot of VMs but a while ago I switched to using lower power systems instead. A raspberry pi 3 is generally fast enough costs practically nothing.

Good to know. I'm running mine on VPS and it runs like dog shit. Probably because i'm using the $4 a month plan, probably should upgrade to double the specs for $7 a month.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I figured you guys would get a laugh out of this. Anyone want to guess when I started running my home lab 24/7?

for reference: dell poweredge 2950, dual 750 watt power supplies, dual xeons, 32 GB RAM, I caused global warming.

Untitled.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
New server is in the mail supermicro e200-8d, 64 GB ram. Cost a hell of a lot more than I paid for that old shitty dell but it should use about a 20th of the power.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's been delayed due to a "motherboard shortage". Thanks, Obama Trump

I should get it at the end of the month

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you hate couchpotato @a_skeleton_03 you might want to take a look at Radarr . It's a fork of sonarr and i've been using it a couple of weeks and so far so good. It's also being updated and worked on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's so tiny...

Building out ESXi and presenting the storage tonight, hold on to your butts people

C6RxfdUUsAAzvEc.jpg large.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So that was easy.

I can't say that I am able to give it a full rundown right now. Pros: it's so tiny, quiet, much more powerful than my last server, IPMI management is pretty sweet, low power usage. Cons: it cost a hell of a lot more money than I spent on the POS old poweredge 2950 I was running before, cost translates to pressure to actually follow through on my 1900348 projects I have shelved so I can play video games and do ctfs and shit.

Also, the performance is really, really nice. But it has exposed the real weakness in my janky setup: my nas running on an ancient 32 bit XPS. It's fine, for now. But I need to plan out a real nas solution.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user