Building Dream setup

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've had 144 and 60 for a long time and been pretty fine. Although I wonder what the price difference is for 144...

Windows 10 has built-in untoggable forced vsync with its DWM, This often causes a situation where if something is being animated on the 60hz screen, it forces 60fps vsync system-wide. This can be happening and you might not even notice it depending what you're doing on the higher refresh screen. Even in situations where it doesn't force it down to 60hz, it causes stuttering. You'll hear many people claim that it doesn't affect them, but the majority of those people are just not aware of it, with only some people being able to provide evidence that it doesn't affect them. It's been an issue for years.

Anyway, you can get cheap 144hz 1080p monitors for under $150 USD these days, and that's for IPS, let alone a TN

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Windows 10 has built-in untoggable forced vsync with its DWM, This often causes a situation where if something is being animated on the 60hz screen, it forces 60fps vsync system-wide. This can be happening and you might not even notice it depending what you're doing on the higher refresh screen. Even in situations where it doesn't force it down to 60hz, it causes stuttering. You'll hear many people claim that it doesn't affect them, but the majority of those people are just not aware of it, with only some people being able to provide evidence that it doesn't affect them. It's been an issue for years.

Anyway, you can get cheap 144hz 1080p monitors for under $150 USD these days, and that's for IPS, let alone a TN
Yeah, and somewhat ironically secondary displays tend to be around a lot longer than gaming displays, so the little money really is worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You could also just do what I'm doing and use a laptop for your second display to avoid any conflicts whatsoever, while also giving you a second system to work with. Not really worth it if you wouldn't use it for other things, but not bad if you would.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been toying around with the idea of water cooling my graphics card now, while waiting to do CPU stuff until next gen Ryzen stuff comes out and I get a whole new cpu/mobo/case. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on water cooling gear?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Also this is where I am at work my setup today

IMG_20191228_102750514.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was watching this video last night not wanting to spend $200 or so for a EK-Vector Trio.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I was watching this video last night not wanting to spend $200 or so for a EK-Vector Trio.

My thinking was just do the custom because it'd give me some experience doing it, and it seems like I'm likely to keep my 2080 for a while. Then I could just build it into 1 loop when I do the full rebuild

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Easiest way to test if it affects you is to do the following:

Load up a video on your second monitor at 60hz and have it playing.
Load up Rimworld on your main high refresh rate display and have RTSS showing your fps
Scroll around on a base map

One of 3 things it going to happen

It plays without issue and at the refresh rate of the main monitor

Your main display will be locked at 60fps instead of the high refresh

The games motion is going to look stutter and like shit compared to how it would at its native refresh rate, but the fps counter will show the high fps despite it.

Other games will work for the test, but it's more easily seen when the screen has scattered objects that are clearly distinct from the background.

Some people report being immune to this issue. Quite a few of those are just unaware of it happening, and some have successfully fixed the issue through some of the various workarounds. (none of which have worked for me)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have an fps monitor on in overwatch and I can tell the difference between 60 and 144 (some menus are 60 and it's jarring)

Using a 6700k and 1070 on windows 10 pro, for what it's worth

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Every time i think about moving on from windows 7 I read something like this. Back in my luddite cave I go.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Every time i think about moving on from windows 7 I read something like this. Back in my luddite cave I go.
I had this same issue in Windows 7 too. It's an nvidia thing.

There are ways to eliminate this by fiddling with the 3d settings in Nvidia CPL but the magic combination frequently changes from version to version.

The best solution is definitely just to use a whole different computer to drive your second screen and something like Mouse Without Borders or Synergy to control it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I now just use a Fire HD 10 to have twitch/youtube/whatever running while gaming. You can still have a second 60hz monitor connected for other purposes and just not have media playing on it to avoid the problem if it affects you.

Using a tablet has the advantage of having it below your main screen which is far more comfortable to look at than to the side or above the monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Interesting case, not digging the $700 price tag tho

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I saw that video. Interesting concept, but serious pain in the ass case. I'm still thinking I'll probably go with an O11D or O11 XL

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Just a FYI, I did this today. I put a Corsair H55 on to my i9 and moved my kraken x62 to the video card. Played Sekiro for an hour or so with total silence coming from the computer and neither the CPU/GPU got over 50, so score!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Has there been any video card news at ces that should make me wait for a new generation of cards instead of just water-cooling my 2080

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nothing from Nvidia and nothing of import from amd. It will be a few months until we have a good idea of what Nvidia will be bringing out in the summer, but it will likely be a move down to 7nm which will be significant

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The next gen nvidia cards are supposed to be a big step with going to 7nm which all we know so far is sometime 2020.