Building Dream setup

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
How long after new cards release is it usually before things like waterblocks start to filter down?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not sure, but I would think it would depend on how similar the cards are to layout compared to the previous gen, and whether or not the blocks are compatible off the bat, or maybe just need a small adjustment to fit. Maybe search the gamers nexus channel for water block/water cooling to see if you can get a sense of how it's been for the last couple gens? They usually make videos about them.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
For my card, MSI 2080 gaming x trio, it was roughly a year before the EK one was released. I imagine the founders editions are quicker but not sure how much quicker.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I think I'm just going to get a 360 rad, some soft tubing, and a pump/res, and do a loop on my 2080. I have fitings from a friend for soft tubing so don't have to buy those. When 3080 ti comes out and I can get a water block I'll switch to hard tubing.

The question is do I just buy an O11 XL now or wait for next gen ryzen

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I came to a few conclusions last night. If I'm going to do it I might as well do it all now, because why the fuck not. Also since Ryzen 4000 series will continue to use AM4 socket, if I get a CPU block it will still fit. I'll just have to change the mounting hardware since I'm using Intel currently. Granted with a new motherboard the position probably changes, and if I do hard tubing I'll likely have to redo everything. That's fine though. It gives me a learning experience that probably gets redone late this year with a chance to fix anything I didn't like or think I could do better.

I ordered the O11 Dynamic XL last night. So everything is going in there. At some point I'll do custom cables from the PSU, but that'll be a while since there is a delay from cablemod. That'll give me a chance to figure out color scheme. I think I'm going to go something like black and white.

Then I'm just down to deciding on water cooling parts. I think I'm going to go with 2 360mm xr7's and a 360mm xr5 (yes, I know this is complete overkill, but why the fuck not) from corsair, along with their 10/14mm petg and fittings. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use Corsair's blocks or EK's.

Please opine about choices and things I might not be thinking about

1578666607392.png

1578666680433.png

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is where I am at today. You don't want to see the back, it looks super bad. Tomorrow I will have to mess around with tubing

IMG_20200117_222831545.jpg

Edit: ignore the fans on bottom, place holder until fans get here Monday. Side rad will have fans on the back

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I got the fans and put them in. I think I have abandoned petg for this build. I've tried moving a bunch of shit around, but essentially unless I get a bunch of fittings/extenders a ton of the runs are just a serious pain in the ass. Things are just a couple mm off from lining up, so there has to be some weird bends.

That left me two options, get a distro plate to make the runs easier since most of them line up pretty horizontal, or go soft tubing. I have all the fittings for soft tubing, so just need the tubing, so I'm going that route for the time being. Later this year when next gen Ryzen comes out and I upgrade I might try the distro plate route. Tubing will be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'm up and running then.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just finished putting in water cooling on my main PC.

Before:

1579988371607.png

After:

1579988410441.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Haven't put the panels back on yet, because I haven't decided where I'm going to put the computer. It's sitting backwards in my desk right now with wired all over the place.

I've been through some phases. The tubing stuff above. After I put it together I ended up changing one of the runs because it was slightly kinked. Temps on my 7700k where roughly 68c after 30 minutes at 100% load, 2080 hits like 50c tops. Water never gets above 35c with pump and fans running at like 40%. Edit: That's at 4.8 with 1.25v

I then decided fuck it I'm going to delid, which I did today. It now runs like 12c cooler, and that's without cleaning off the silicone sealant and telling that part, and probably not the best liquid metal application, do I could easily see another 5c if I took the time to go through and learn it and do better.

This is where I am now

IMG_20200131_171600356.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I kind of want to just intake on the side and flip the fans on the bottom because it would look way better. Honestly, that will probably wait until later this year when I get next gen Ryzen.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That looks great!

I used to be good at building PCs 20 years ago. These days I upgrade like clockwork every 6-7 years, and forget how to do it each time, and have to re-learn it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Spendy as fuck but made me think of this thread. It does look like a case that should cost a cool $1.5k

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Spendy as fuck but made me think of this thread. It does look like a case that should cost a cool $1.5k
Reminds me I need to get some cable mod cables

Pretty interesting case design, unsure how I feel about it lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why is it so hard to find finished desk tops / work tops in various sizes and materials?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Why is it so hard to find finished desk tops / work tops in various sizes and materials?

Because they cost a lot of money, so you either do it yourself or pay someone to do it?

Last edited: