"Bumblebee" Transformers spin-off starring John Cena

spronk

FPS noob
was gonna wait for home release but AMC theaters moved this into their Dolby theaters around me so checked it out. Not bad, nothing insanely great but far, far, far better than all the recent Transformers shit. Very, very simple and focused and streamlined, its a shame this isn't how they started the Transformers franchise. Cena is kinda meh, I've liked him in every movie so far but he was very quiet and barely in this one. The lead actress is very charming, at first you don't really wanna like her and she comes across as unlikeable but its a good character and acting.

All in all its worth a watch for any Transformers fan but I don't really think you have to trek out to theaters, there is only one spectacular 5 minute Robot v Robot fight and the rest of the movie is pretty plain. 20 mins in the middle drags hard and is pretty boring but the last 40 mins is great. Kids are probably gonna love this movie, it definitely felt like an 80s Spielberg kind of movie.

I'd still rate Aquaman a tad bit higher than this, thats like a 7/10 and this is a 6.5/10 but this has a better story and shorter run length while Aquaman is more spectacular but really drags and drags in the middle. Venom is better than both probably.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't see this in theaters like I said I would if Starscream was in it, but that wasn't Starscream!! At least not according to the credits.

I liked this better than any of the Bay movies, to be honest. I've got a thing for Hailee Steinfeld, so that helps, and I've never liked Bumblebee even a little bit...but I liked him in this. It wasn't highbrow or anything remotely like that, and John Cena had some pretty terrible scenes, as did light-skinned-black-not-really-romantic-interest, but the movie was mainly about the chick and Bumblebee, and that's all I needed. It was good enough. When there was action I was able to immediately tell who was who, unlike Bay's, and I was super thankful for that.

Speaking of that, the few scenes of the battle on Cybertron got me so fucking hard wanting them to do a "live action" version of The Movie. That looked fucking fantastic, and I'd give my left nut for that to happen, using the same visuals as this movie. The nostalgia for that movie hit really fucking hard in the first 5 minutes.

I also liked how, other than a little bit of Optimus, there were no big-name players on either side really. Soundwave being the only other one, and he sounded EXACTLY like Soundwave is supposed to. Fuck those scenes were so good. Make this movie happen, Hollywood!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
John Cena was the highlight of this movie for me. I love the joke about the name Decepticon that he did.

I think it went like " how can we trust these guys? Have you guys even thought about their name? They are called Decepticon for godsake."

Something like that.

He was the butt of the joke and that was easily the most enjoyable part about this movie.

Inque

FunEmployed
I didn't see this in theaters like I said I would if Starscream was in it, but that wasn't Starscream!! At least not according to the credits.

I liked this better than any of the Bay movies, to be honest. I've got a thing for Hailee Steinfeld, so that helps, and I've never liked Bumblebee even a little bit...but I liked him in this. It wasn't highbrow or anything remotely like that, and John Cena had some pretty terrible scenes, as did light-skinned-black-not-really-romantic-interest, but the movie was mainly about the chick and Bumblebee, and that's all I needed. It was good enough. When there was action I was able to immediately tell who was who, unlike Bay's, and I was super thankful for that.

Speaking of that, the few scenes of the battle on Cybertron got me so fucking hard wanting them to do a "live action" version of The Movie. That looked fucking fantastic, and I'd give my left nut for that to happen, using the same visuals as this movie. The nostalgia for that movie hit really fucking hard in the first 5 minutes.

I also liked how, other than a little bit of Optimus, there were no big-name players on either side really. Soundwave being the only other one, and he sounded EXACTLY like Soundwave is supposed to. Fuck those scenes were so good. Make this movie happen, Hollywood!

Starscream cameo'd in the first 10 minutes but no speaking lines, Optimus shoots and throws him up over his shoulder before Bumblebee drives up and kicks another Decepticon's head into him, knocking him over. The one who was on Earth was Blitzwing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Starscream cameo'd in the first 10 minutes but no speaking lines, Optimus shoots and throws him up over his shoulder before Bumblebee drives up and kicks another Decepticon's head into him, knocking him over. The one who was on Earth was Blitzwing.

Seeing how Starscream's voice was so iconic and the actor has been dead a while. I think it's almost better to not give him a speaking line unless he played a more major role in the film and had a good actor who could do it. But I think he would have been a better main villain than just some almost nameless (maybe?) deceptions that they had. Starscream/soundwave or something.

I still liked how well they did Soundwave/Shockwave though. Gave me chills hearing Shockwave's voice again.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was very pleased with this movie. The transformer models felt like the originals with the modern touch, and Michael Bay was tempered well with the Spielberg heart while retaining just the right amount of cheese/camp with Cena and the absurd parents. Villain's were innocuous, which was fine as they were entirely secondary to the main plot line.

Bumblebee himself was fuckin perfect.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally caught it on rental. Best Transformers live action movie. Low bar but it was really enjoyable seeing what it can look like when a director that actually cares about the IP is in charge.

• 1Like

Goatface

Bumblebee was great
the girl, the boy, and the family were shit
i was wishing the terrible dinobots from the last movie would show up and eat them

Fucker

Log Wizard
Dollar rental on Vudu right now.

Not a bad flick, but what do I know? I thought the other movies were fine.

The annoying little twit from True Grit sure grew up well.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just give us an entire movie done by whoever did the first 10 minutes of Bumblebee, please. Oh wait, I forgot, we got that back in 1986 and it was fucking great.

giphy.gif

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just give us an entire movie done by whoever did the first 10 minutes of Bumblebee, please. Oh wait, I forgot, we got that back in 1986 and it was fucking great.

giphy.gif

Transformers is like the only series where American voice actors just lay the smackdown on jap voices

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Transformers is like the only series where American voice actors just lay the smackdown on jap voices
Yeah. Transformers was originally an English series. Not Japanese. So the Japanese voice actors are no better than English voice actors for any anime.

Siliconemelons

giphy.gif

The OG Transformers The Movie was actually a very VERY well put together cinematic exp. I do not care that its 100% to sell new toys, it was well done, had character development growth, great interaction, great torch passing and an insane soundtrack.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the 80s movie, despite watching the transformers Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. If I’ve seen it I’ve forgotten. Found a remaster. Going to try to watch it with my 5yo son tonight.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the 80s movie, despite watching the transformers Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. If I’ve seen it I’ve forgotten. Found a remaster. Going to try to watch it with my 5yo son tonight.
the drama in the 80's was real.

my moms took me to the theater to watch it, it was like near harlem or some place sketchy cuz not many theaters were showing it, i had a tear coming down my eye when optimus prime died, but the only other family with like 2 or 3 kids were wailing like little bitches, they had to get up and walk out.

fucking whole theater to myself!