Burma

Vinen

God is dead
Wife and I in the process of scheduling a trip to this newly opened country early next year.

Anyone been?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Why do people go to these places? Why not try to go to North Korea while you're at it, I hear that usually works out well too.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Knew a patient at my hospital just got back. Hospitalized from a infected bug bite.

Doesn't sound like a bucket of fun. Taiwan was humid/sweaty enough on it's own and the joy that is squat toilets.

Vinen

God is dead
Why do people go to these places? Why not try to go to North Korea while you're at it, I hear that usually works out well too.
Because most locations in our World (Europe (sans eastern), etc, etc) etc are boring as fuck? I laugh at all the fags who go to Paris and other gay locations. We are mainly going to be sailing around the Myeik Archipelago.

My wife and I thought about North Korea but neither of us care to see the country. Not like there is much natural beauty you can see...

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Because most locations in our World (Europe (sans eastern), etc, etc) etc are boring as fuck? I laugh at all the fags who go to Paris and other gay locations. We are mainly going to be sailing around the Myeik Archipelago.

My wife and I thought about North Korea but neither of us care to see the country. Not like there is much natural beauty you can see...
Seems logical. "Well Paris sucks...lets go to fucking Burma"

That's always the next logical step. *nods*

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
On the one hand, people travelling to some of these off the beaten path destinations are doing it just for the bragging rights. On the other hand, there's a lot of places that I wish I'd been to before they turned in to mainstream destinations that have lost all authenticity and been overrun by fucking Australians, like Thailand.

But be honest Tarrant, how often have you even left the continental US? Do you have a current passport?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Myanmar (Burma) was on my list this year, but I didnt go because I was also wrapping in Vietnam and Cambodia in the same trip. I waited too long to process my Vietnam visa, so I scrapped the whole thing and went hiking in New Zealand instead. It will most likely be a trip I take next spring.

I don't get why people are so afraid to get off the beaten track. As someone who has traveled (on vacation) to over 25 countries, my best experiences have been to places like this. Bhutan was probably one of my favorites. Terrifying landing deep in the himilayas into Paro (youtube a video of the landing), but then a week of amazing trekking and touring a land that time has seemingly forgotten. Television was only introduced for the first time about 15 years ago! It is an incredible experience.

Re bug infection: That can happen anywhere. Always get your immunizations before you go and you really do not have a whole lot to worry about. I have never had anything more than "Delhi belly" in Nepal, but it is pretty normal.

*edit* OP: If you really are interested in Burma, I have a Danish friend who has his own travel company out of London. Last year he added Myanmar to his tours and I know he has been there himself for first hand experience. I can put you in contact if you like.

Vinen

God is dead
Myanmar (Burma) was on my list this year, but I didnt go because I was also wrapping in Vietnam and Cambodia in the same trip. I waited too long to process my Vietnam visa, so I scrapped the whole thing and went hiking in New Zealand instead. It will most likely be a trip I take next spring.

I don't get why people are so afraid to get off the beaten track. As someone who has traveled (on vacation) to over 25 countries, my best experiences have been to places like this. Bhutan was probably one of my favorites. Terrifying landing deep in the himilayas into Paro (youtube a video of the landing), but then a week of amazing trekking and touring a land that time has seemingly forgotten. Television was only introduced for the first time about 15 years ago! It is an incredible experience.

Re bug infection: That can happen anywhere. Always get your immunizations before you go and you really do not have a whole lot to worry about. I have never had anything more than "Delhi belly" in Nepal, but it is pretty normal.

*edit* OP: If you really are interested in Burma, I have a Danish friend who has his own travel company out of London. Last year he added Myanmar to his tours and I know he has been there himself for first hand experience. I can put you in contact if you like.
My wife and I are using Intrepid Tours. We've done enough with them to reach a frequent "flyer" program that gives us discounts. Our main goal this year is just to sail around the coast and then hit up Phuket before heading home.

Thanks for the offer though! Really wish more people would grow up and actually see the world to form their own opinion.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
On the one hand, people travelling to some of these off the beaten path destinations are doing it just for the bragging rights. On the other hand, there's a lot of places that I wish I'd been to before they turned in to mainstream destinations that have lost all authenticity and been overrun by fucking Australians, like Thailand.

But be honest Tarrant, how often have you even left the continental US? Do you have a current passport?
I have 22 countries stamped in my passport currently. I'm all for off the beaten path, I'd just steer clear of places like Burma, North Korea and such. It's cool going to a lot of places not many others I know personally haven't been to but I wouldn't want to go somewhere I felt like I wasn't safe. I know Burma has got a lot better but I'd still stick clear of it.

But then again I got the same lecture when I went to Havana so to each their own.
smile.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Uhh dont think Bhutan is in the middle of a civil war that involves like a dozen factions, one of which is Islamic.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah just head there and throw hard Dollars towards the junta regime, sounds like a plan.
Also consider to buy your fuel from the ISIS controlled oil fields and hoard enough rice from NK while you are on your boat trip.

OTOH i wish more peeps i know would go of the beaten path in Cambodia, that would tremndously help them with their land mines problem as well.

Chris

Potato del Grande

I strongly suggest Somalia if you don't have the balls to visit Syria.