Burma

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Because most locations in our World (Europe (sans eastern), etc, etc) etc are boring as fuck? I laugh at all the fags who go to Paris and other gay locations. We are mainly going to be sailing around the Myeik Archipelago.

My wife and I thought about North Korea but neither of us care to see the country. Not like there is much natural beauty you can see...
Yeah. Screw all those fags that go to Paris or Milan for a vacation!

I hear the mountainous regions of Afghanistan are wonderful this time of year, btw.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since this is the wannabe hipster vacation thread, it's not about where you go but how off-beat your activities are when you get there.
Going to Burma and taking an Instagram selfie of yourself and some 6 year olds head on a stick behind you, then posting it on Facebook while spamming f5 hoping for /likes means you failed with your hipster aspirations.
Now if you go to Paris but instead of visitng the Eiffel Tower you kill a hooker then off yourself, you can pretty much hold that over anyone else's touristy trip.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
There are people who go to off the beaten path type places to be cool, and there are people who do it to get a more genuine experience. Once enough tourists go to a place, it fundamentally changes. You go to Bangkok, for example, and you have to work really damn hard to get a genuine experience. And even if you do that work, Thais see you and think "tourist" and treat you like the average tourist, aka like a douchebag. In places with few tourists, most people have no preconception of who you are. You aren't big white guy who wants young Asian whores, or white drunkard, or disrespectful white guy, or "walking ATM whose money can be mine if I con him well."

My best experiences traveling were in cambodia, taking a motorbike through inland Vietnam, and Laos. My worst experiences were tourist spots in Vietnam, and my most superficial experiences were all of Thailand (minus the beauty of the land), tourist spots in Vietnam, and the one tourist hotspot in each of Laos and Cambodia. The correlation between meaningful/genuine experience and how many tourists typically go to those places is not a coincidence.

Once enough white people go somewhere, whatever the place originally was is gone.

Vinen

God is dead
Once enough white people go somewhere, whatever the place originally was is gone.
Bingo, we were primarily looking for another sailing trip (I've been learning to race). We had a good experience this summer in the Aegian Islands and our skipper got the job to the same in Burma. We figured this was the time to do it before its too late (Place becomes a sex-tourism location AKA Thailand or we have kids). Won't be spending much time on mainland.

Mergui Archipelago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There are people who go to off the beaten path type places to be cool, and there are people who do it to get a more genuine experience. Once enough tourists go to a place, it fundamentally changes. You go to Bangkok, for example, and you have to work really damn hard to get a genuine experience. And even if you do that work, Thais see you and think "tourist" and treat you like the average tourist, aka like a douchebag. In places with few tourists, most people have no preconception of who you are. You aren't big white guy who wants young Asian whores, or white drunkard, or disrespectful white guy, or "walking ATM whose money can be mine if I con him well."

My best experiences traveling were in cambodia, taking a motorbike through inland Vietnam, and Laos. My worst experiences were tourist spots in Vietnam, and my most superficial experiences were all of Thailand (minus the beauty of the land), tourist spots in Vietnam, and the one tourist hotspot in each of Laos and Cambodia. The correlation between meaningful/genuine experience and how many tourists typically go to those places is not a coincidence.

Bunch of hipster touristy bullshit. Loads of interesting places to go in this world that arent located within a defacto military dictatorship engaged in a 10 way civil war.

Been there. Went over the Thai border. Place is a shithole. They *take your passports* at the border. If you aren't back on time they close and you cannot leave. Town was a shithole full of beggars and sketchy as fuck taxi drivers that want to drive you to very unofficial looking tours to places in the middle of nowhere.

Only upside is there was a huge market with fake ... everything. The ex-wife and sister stocked up on $3 Gucci purses and glasses. But you can get fakes in far safer areas.

I can't stress how different the vibe is between Thailand and Burma. I would never visit there again.