Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
You guys sure know how to shit up a thread.
guys, leave their telling truth to the racist patriarchal power structure alone! Stop micro-aggressing and triggering them!

rrr_img_67208.jpg

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Let's talk about woman and minority privilege. As a white male I'm fucking terrified of having a question or comment misinterpreted and being labeled sexist or racist, or (more likely) being labeled an ignorant privileged white male.

I worked a summer job where this Mexican cook was calling this Iraqi cook Saddam Hussein but sorta embracing him in a friendly way and just messing with him. It was a fucked up thing to say but he's a super friendly guy and is basically bro-hugging him while he's saying it. He looks at me and says "you can't ever say that, right? You would get in trouble because you're white." I'm like yep, very astute observation.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
my employer immigrated from england and she tries to emphasize with me on job interview.

I thought, "you are British. what's the fucking difference between that and here."

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
i dunno wut these words mean

natives get special permission to kill their child while Jehovah witnesses are branded lunatics. canadian courts to justice.

Christie Blatchford: Decision to let girl treat cancer with native medicine is humane but puts her future in doubt | National Post
Ive seen some sunday morning made for tv movies about this crap in the US too, I believe the loons here call themselves the christian "scientists". I feel bad for the kids, but they would've probably grown up to be like their parents anyway, so meh.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Ive seen some sunday morning made for tv movies about this crap in the US too, I believe the loons here call themselves the christian "scientists". I feel bad for the kids, but they would've probably grown up to be like their parents anyway, so meh.
The point is in Canada, First Nations/Indians can do that and not be bothered but should white religious zealots do it, they get the "crazy" shaming.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a fairly clear and inarguable ethical point. You do NOT force treatment. Ever.

That's why living wills are important things to have. Even if it's just barely legible chickenscrawl on a napkin. Something to make your wishes known. It takes more than the threat of death to over ride imperative. It can be ignored, but it takes actual criminal acts.

So for people who are inclined to think of the children... shame is the only tool left in the box. I don't want to live in the world where they have more to work with than shame.

iannis

Musty Nester
the Quakers swear off fuckin. Nobody tries to go and rape a quaker.

Don't see too many Quakers around anymore.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It's a fairly clear and inarguable ethical point. You do NOT force treatment. Ever.
In the case of children, it isn't so clear. The kids are essentially being given very bad medical advice (that if they just pray harder, they will be fine) and aren't really capable of making a rational or informed decision about it. At a minimum it is extreme child neglect or abuse, at worst close to murder.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

That's why living wills are important things to have. Even if it's just barely legible chickenscrawl on a napkin. Something to make your wishes known. It takes more than the threat of death to over ride imperative. It can be ignored, but it takes actual criminal acts.

So for people who are inclined to think of the children... shame is the only tool left in the box. I don't want to live in the world where they have more to work with than shame.
In Canada, courts can compel forceful treatments under the best interest of the child clause. children's aid hospital can easily force the treatment as they have done before.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
In the case of children, it isn't so clear. The kids are essentially being given very bad medical advice (that if they just pray harder, they will be fine) and aren't really capable of making a rational or informed decision about it. At a minimum it is extreme child neglect or abuse, at worst close to murder.
I can think of a lot of juvenile vermin , that should have christo science parents.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
I feel like people being fuckheads to their kids is the next big civil rights movement issue, it's just so difficult to divide tradition and abuse. One demographic of society previously not being able to vote is an obvious civil rights issue, but with parenting it is not so clear.

If I lock my son in a room with a harpsichord like Mozart's did and not allow him to do anything except compose music would I be abusing him? Should the government step in? The kid is well fed and otherwise well taken care of, I just treat him like a dog that doesn't get to do shit unless he learns whatever tricks I say my "traditions" are. For some it's deplorable for others it's just business as usual...driven, or obsessive, who knows.