Buying a car?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It also depends on the state of your engine. You obviously can't just throw oil into some old piece of shit and expect it to not need a change or refill after 12k.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's synthetic and my car tells me when it wants an oil change. I am at its mercy.

On a serious note, it keeps an oil life % on the odometer and when it gets around 15% it tells you to get a service done. The fact that the car was brand new and I drive about 95% highway and ride about 12K miles every 5 months led up to this. The guys at the dealership were shocked too. Since it's a lease I'm basically following their rules. If it wasn't a lease I'd probably go every 5k miles personally just to be safe.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Full synthetic oil can go 10-15k between changes.
Now that car companies are offering free oil changes under warranty, they are trying to push back the services as long as they can but going 10k on synthetic isn't bad.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Now that car companies are offering free oil changes under warranty, they are trying to push back the services as long as they can but going 10k on synthetic isn't bad.
Even before oil changes became free, BMW had 25,000 km (15,000 miles) service intervals.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You're driving a lease car 30k miles a year?
Yeah, I leased it when I had a 7 minute work commute and instantly afterwards got a job that was 55 miles away (one way). It was shitty. Thankfully it's a good car and I'm just going to buy it out before the lease is up.

Shitty situation but what can you do.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
That's because BMW manufactures flawless machines and never ever break down! except me needing to take mine back in to have all 6 injectors replaced!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, got a sales call from the BMW dealership that I had a rather huge falling out with last night. Calmly told the nice lady that no, I wasn't interested in their sales event because they were the worst dealership I had ever encountered. So that triggered a curiosity in me to look them up on the internet and see if they're still up to their shenanigans. Looks like they are:

F rating on BBB:Edmonton BMW/Mini Edmonton Business Review in Edmonton, AB - Central and Northern Alberta BBB

Fucking people's cars up and not fixing them:Edmonton BMW Service Nightmare - Issues - Complaints - "Ir-repairable" Scratch on my - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Horrendous rating and anecdotes on some dealer rating website:Edmonton BMW - BMW, Service Center - Dealership Ratings

I mean fuck, even on their own carefully curated website their service department has numerous complaints:Edmonton BMW, Edmonton, AB | Customer Rating

Another complaint:Ripoff Report | Edmonton BMW Complaint Review Edmonton, Alberta: 775044

How in the fuck BMW Canada hasn't pulled their license yet is beyond me. They're destroying BMW's reputation.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, local dealers can be fucking awful and treat you like shit. My wife had her Z4 M Roadster in for service and the service tech managed to drive the car right into another one, and then claimed it was there before! Quick call to BMW of North America sorted that.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wtf?! "It was like this when I got here..."

I can't even imagine the hilarity of that situation.

Siliconemelons

I do full synthetic change up at 7500, it follows the two "longest" or minimum directions for warranty specs on both my Nissan Murano and Quest. On the Murano I could tell when the oil was changed in how the thing ran and started- you could tell it was clean and fresh, I did not want to push it any further- sometimes I could change it at 8k sometimes 6k depending on what I was doing- but I do a lot of in-city driving... about 16-17k a year, if it was all highway I would let it go longer.

2014 Nissan Rouge looks very nice, I look forward to the new gen of Murano and Maxima... I am digging the design language this generation. But bad Nissan bad! with the recall >_< !! is it "Made in the USA" issues? or was it parts/design issues? I remember we have a Nissan insider round here ;-)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I will never, ever buy another Nissan. Not after all of the problems I have had with my X-Terra in the last couple of years. For quite a while, it was a very reliable vehicle. Once it was out of warranty, however, everything proceeded to shit the bed at once. 88k miles and a new transmission? How about fuck you.

I'm going to be looking for a new car reasonably soon, especially if my job situation improves (phone interview at 1 today for a new one with a very nice raise). I have a reasonably long commute, so I'm looking to find a decent sedan. Even though I know better than to buy a new vehicle, I'm looking at the 2014 Fusions. They're pretty nice.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I like the Fusions a lot. I test drove a few back when I was looking. Ended up getting a Camry because the deal Toyota gave me couldn't be matched by any Ford dealerships but that was really the only reason. I preferred the look and interior of the Fusion.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they're quite nice for the price range. I am trying to take it slow and just do some homework for now. I am very much NOT a car person, and this would be the first car I've bought myself in my entire life. Both of my previous vehicles were gifts (16th birthday, and my current one was for graduating college. I've gotten a lot of use out of it).

I have a 25-30 mile one-way commute right now, so saving on gas is somewhat of a priority. Unfortunately, I also have two gigantic dogs who periodically need vet visits, so I can't do leather seats and so forth. I'd kinda like to keep my SUV just for trips like that, and I may if the trade-in value isn't worth it. I've been rear ended a couple of times, one of which caused some front end damage that I never fixed, and the mileage is pretty high. It's probably not worth more than a couple thousand tops, just to dismantle for parts.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is it just me, or are oil changes these days massively overblown? When was the last time you heard of someone's engine seizing? The vast majority of problems people experience with their cars in the first 100,000-150,000 miles have absolutely nothing to do with engine lubrication. It's shit like fuel pumps, transmissions, suspension/front end, exhaust, electronics, starters, alternators and so on. I'm not saying that you don't need to bother changing your oil, but I think it's fairly amusing when people trumpet changing your oil every 5,000 miles as the be-all, end-all of car maintenance and longevity.

Sure if you plan on driving your car past 150,000 miles then it becomes more of a concern, but very, very few people do that.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Could just be my history with transmission repair, but I am much more likely to remember to do a fluid replacement on that than remember to get my oil exactly on time. I also have a friend who used to work in a transmission shop and eventually quit because it was such a scam business, so he has me paranoid. According to him, those power flushes are one of the worst things you can do because it stands a high chance of fucking up a solenoid. Better to just gravity drain it and replace around half the fluid per change, letting the detergents do the rest.

Dunno how accurate that is, but he's never steered me wrong before.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
With my 2010 Civic I just get it changed right around every 10k. It's amusing because the place I take it to still puts the 3k miles or 6 months sticker on my windshield. Yes, I'm too lazy to do it on my own.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have about 130k miles on my 2006 Speed6 and have had zero issues since purchase. Original brakes, clutch, only regular oil maintenance and new tires. Most of those miles were 700 mile round trips between Baton Rouge and Little Rock, or Little Rock / Baton Rouge to Birmingham. Not much city driving really, commute is like 5 minutes and anything else we usually take the wife's Prius.

But the rear shocks or whatever are seriously bad. The last time I took it to the dealership they wanted something like $3k to repair or fix the back end. Worried this time it'll be worse. Anyways, it looks like it'll be getting to the point where I need to decide if putting $5k or so in to the car is worth it to keep it going or just use that money as down payment + trade in for something new. It's been so long since I've had a car payment it really doesn't make me happy thinking about that. Not that it is a problem financially, I just hate car payments.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I've never really had one, and I kinda dread it. Still, if I can keep a payment to $300-350 then I'll be okay. I just want to pay it off asap.