Buying a car?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't believe how much better Korean cars have gotten over the past few years. I remember when KIA basically stood for Killed in Action. I just get the feeling that Japan is slipping on all fronts (cars, electronics, games, pop culture) and Korea is taking over
Korean Industrial Abortion?

I test drove one, it is an amazing car. They say 0-60 in 4.4 but I got to 55 in 3.8. The torque is incredible, you can actually feel your heart slam back against your spine. And it all happens smoothly and silently. The 17 inch touch screen is amazing as well. It's complete revenge of the nerds - the muscle car edition.
what kind of mpg are we looking at at 110mph?

Fin_sl

shitlord
The X1 rocks. I couldn't find a bare-bones sDrive though, and I ended up going for mileage and comfort with the ct200h:
rrr_img_7202.jpg
Liked this one too, but got a MB B190 instead.
rrr_img_8907.jpg

xtaca_sl

shitlord
I'm looking at an S4/S5 as my next car. Tired of BMW and their increasingly cheap plastic cabin finish out that creaks to all hell within a few months. Hoping Audi has a quieter interior.
Amen to that... BMW just doesn't have the same interior quality. Dunno if its quieter though

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Audi's are way worse for overall quality/reliability. Beware.
5-10 years ago, sure. 10-30 years ago, HELL YES. Recently, i dont think so. I think the past 2-3 years they may be coming in ahead of BWM/MB. Dont qoute me though, i will look it up tonight.

New 2014 RS7 was announced today at Detroit. Its amazing, 560hp/515ftlb's of tq. 3.7 second 0-60 and top speed of 190mph. With 4 doors...

rrr_img_8945.jpg

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't mind road noise, but rattles, squeaks, and creaks from poor cabin materials and/or fit and finish drive me absolutely insane. The Japs have it down to an art-- I've never driven in a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc that ever made the slightest cabin rattle. Don't understand how bmw can fuck that up so badly.

Amen to that... BMW just doesn't have the same interior quality. Dunno if its quieter though

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Antarius_sl said:
New 2014 Corvette looks pretty amazing, I may have to start saving up
Not really a fan of them as a force of habit, but yeah, the single picture I saw looked pretty sexy. Dollar vs. performance wise they've always been pretty tough to beat.

Frenzied Wombat_sl said:
I don't mind road noise, but rattles, squeaks, and creaks from poor cabin materials and/or fit and finish drive me absolutely insane. The Japs have it down to an art-- I've never driven in a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc that ever made the slightest cabin rattle. Don't understand how bmw can fuck that up so badly.
Yeah I'm the same way. My 2001 330xi was pretty good for rattles and squeaks. When it was under warranty I had them take care of a couple, and it was fine up until I sold it when it was about 8 years old. My 2009 335xi has been fucking awful for it though. Took me 6 trips to the dealer and a phone call to BMW Canada for them to finally replace the driver's seat bottom, which sounded like a rusty mattress every fucking time my left leg extended to clutch or I shifted weight around. Idiots would come for a test drive, acknowledge the sound and where it was coming from, and report it fixed by greasing the seat rails or tightening a bolt. When it was obvious it was internal to the seat itself.

It was fine for the past year, but now something's started squeaking in the dash. It's not super bad, but it's starting to annoy the shit out of me. The warranty is done, so I'm just going to wait until the next service and have the import shop take a look.

So yeah, personally I like the look/feel of the interior (off-white leather, silver matte trim) and don't think it's any more plastic or cheap looking than an Audi. BMW interiors have always been fairly spartan. But the fit/finish has been extremely disappointing. Otherwise though the car's been pretty awesome and there isn't anything else I'd rather be driving on a daily basis. Gonna need a new set of winters soon though, they've got maybe 25,000km on them and look fine, but they're starting to get pretty greasy already.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking at an S4/S5 as my next car. Tired of BMW and their increasingly cheap plastic cabin finish out that creaks to all hell within a few months. Hoping Audi has a quieter interior.
I have both an Audi S5 and a BMW 335i. The BMW is the hard top convertible and the Audi is the coupe, the BMW should squeak and rattle more so than the Audi. It does not. The Audi has some kind of vibration coming from above the dome light in front and behind the air vents at the top of the dash. In addition, it recently developed a strange squeak that sounds like 2 pieces of styrofoam rubbing together from behind the steering column when going slowly over bumps.

On top of that, the Audi has been a nightmare from a reliability stand point. It has, on 4 occasions, left me stranded and requiring a tow. That does not include the numerous repairs that did not require a tow, but still cost me an asinine amount (such as the ballasts going out on the headlights, which are an obscene $2200 or something to replace because the adaptive/auto-leveling motors are built into the ballasts on Audi's for some god awful reason). I have not done anything to the BMW aside from regular maintenance, I have it chipped (which should theoretically increase problems, whereas the Audi is stock) and I have had no issues. I'm actually selling the Audi this week and picking up a Merc E550 4matic.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Gayness confirmed.
Need the AWD! I drove an obscene number of cars in the last 2 weeks trying to decide what to get, settled on the Merc. Drove the following:

Acura RL
Acura TL SH-AWD
Audi A6 3.0T
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac CTS
Infiniti G37x
Infiniti M37x
Infiniti M56x
Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD
Lexus GS350 awd
Volvo S60 T6 awd

My first choice was actually to get a BMW 5 series with the M Sport package, but my business partner actually bought 1 last week. I did not want to have the same car as him. The new Lexus GS with F Sport is actually a phenomenal car, if I could get over my desire for German I would've probably picked that up.

Cyphex_sl

shitlord
I love my Nissan Juke. Perfect for my needs. Great price range for what you get, decent gas milage, does well in crash ratings.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That's really disappointing I must admit.. How old is your S5? At least in my case, all the rattles come from choice of hard plastic BMW uses, and when I looked at an Audi last week the plastic in the cabin was more "tacky" in nature. Now I don't know what the hell to buy.. Not big on Mercedez styling and they don't offer manual trannies anymore.

Any recommendations on a nice, sporty ride that has a quality SILENT interior in the 40K-60K range?

I have both an Audi S5 and a BMW 335i. The BMW is the hard top convertible and the Audi is the coupe, the BMW should squeak and rattle more so than the Audi. It does not. The Audi has some kind of vibration coming from above the dome light in front and behind the air vents at the top of the dash. In addition, it recently developed a strange squeak that sounds like 2 pieces of styrofoam rubbing together from behind the steering column when going slowly over bumps.

On top of that, the Audi has been a nightmare from a reliability stand point. It has, on 4 occasions, left me stranded and requiring a tow. That does not include the numerous repairs that did not require a tow, but still cost me an asinine amount (such as the ballasts going out on the headlights, which are an obscene $2200 or something to replace because the adaptive/auto-leveling motors are built into the ballasts on Audi's for some god awful reason). I have not done anything to the BMW aside from regular maintenance, I have it chipped (which should theoretically increase problems, whereas the Audi is stock) and I have had no issues. I'm actually selling the Audi this week and picking up a Merc E550 4matic.