Buying a car?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Test drove a 2013 GT-R. Best car I've ever fucking drove, without contest. I've drove a 911, Ferrari, and a high-end Mercedes to compare. (Haven't tried a Lamb yet.)

rrr_img_32251.jpg

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Nice and congrats! You made a good choice, I think. That X1 engine is hard to beat.
Ya, thanks for advice. Finally got a chance to drive it a bit today - really fun little car fo sho. Going to enjoy it (at least while its under warranty) a lot more around town than the truck, which is relegated to field visits and meetings with country bumpkins.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
The next vehicle I will buy will be a Tesla Model X probably sometime in 2015. And if they can double the battery life by then...I'm definitely sold.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, that's pretty nice. Any idea on pricing yet?

In BMW news, I was pretty sad to read the M3 is being discontinued and being replaced with the M4. The V8 replaced with a TT 6 cylinder. I had my sights on the M3 in the next year or so, but that plan might change now.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
yeah the whole revamping of the line with the 4 series and choices they have made are a little boggling. Although the last model of the 3's had some of the dumbest changes I have ever seen. The engine shuts off when you are at a stop!

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The engine shuts off when you are at a stop!
I was visiting a vendor in San Diego a few weeks ago and he has a Mercedes C63 AMG and he was raving about that feature, though he said when he first got the car he didn't know about it. He thought he got a lemon. I was thinking it sounded annoying. If you're spending over 70 grand on a car, are you that concerned about saving a few bucks on gas? Is the gas you're saving from that feature even noticeable?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
it was beyond fucking annoying driving that car while mine was in for service. Just annoying and dumb on every conceivable level.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

In BMW news, I was pretty sad to read the M3 is being discontinued and being replaced with the M4. The V8 replaced with a TT 6 cylinder. I had my sights on the M3 in the next year or so, but that plan might change now.
What difference does it make what it's called? It's the same car. BMW has been talking about separating the 3 series coupes in to a 4 series for a decade or more. No different than the 5/6 series. As far as the engine change goes, that's not really surprising, it's all about getting better fuel economy. It was only a V8 for what, 5 years? Before that it was an inline 6.

Soygen_sl said:
I was visiting a vendor in San Diego a few weeks ago and he has a Mercedes C63 AMG and he was raving about that feature, though he said when he first got the car he didn't know about it. He thought he got a lemon. I was thinking it sounded annoying. If you're spending over 70 grand on a car, are you that concerned about saving a few bucks on gas? Is the gas you're saving from that feature even noticeable?
I think it's more about regulatory requirements than anything. I've never driven a vehicle with that feature, but I'd imagine it's pretty seamless. Why do you even give a shit?

grumblethorn_sl said:
it was beyond fucking annoying driving that car while mine was in for service. Just annoying and dumb on every conceivable level.
What exactly is the problem with that feature?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have not tested one yet, but the C63 AMG was on my short list coming up at the end of the year to look at. Any overall thoughts and initial impressions?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
What difference does it make what it's called? It's the same car.
I don't care what it's called. We'll see if it's the same car. As for the V8, it sounds like a V8. That's a big plus.
wink.png

As for the engine shutting off being a regulatory thing, what regulation is that exactly? It seems to be a feature on mostly high-end cars. Is it something that's supposed to be on everything at some point?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I have not tested one yet, but the C63 AMG was on my short list coming up at the end of the year to look at. Any overall thoughts and initial impressions?
It's a beautiful beast would be my impression of my, albeit short, exposure to his car. It moves. He had it fully loaded too, which I could definitely not get close to affording. His wife's daily driver is a Bentley GT, so the guy isn't hurting for cash.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't care what it's called. We'll see if it's the same car. As for the V8, it sounds like a V8. That's a big plus.
wink.png
I agree on the sound, no question. But really, a lot of "purists" were pissed that the M3 went to a V8 in the first place with the E90 series. Not to mention, the E90 coupe was supposed to be called an M4 as well, but BMW changed it's mind before it was released. Like I said, the number change has been something BMW has been considering for over a decade now, to line it up both with the 5/6 Series BMW's as well as the S4/S5 series from Audi.

It'll be the same car, regardless of what it's called. By the looks of it, it'll be a couple inches wider and longer, just like the E90 was bigger than the E46 that came before it. Come to think of it, even with the E90 series, the coupe and sedan were different platforms (they weren't previously), so with that generation BMW was calling two different cars by the same number.

Soygen_sl said:
As for the engine shutting off being a regulatory thing, what regulation is that exactly? It seems to be a feature on mostly high-end cars. Is it something that's supposed to be on everything at some point?
I just mean from an overall fuel efficiency regulation perspective. Yes, you'll likely see it on most cars over the coming years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
From the BMW site

A clever way to save fuel: the Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine each time the vehicle comes to a complete halt - such as at traffic lights - and restarts it automatically. A reduction in fuel consumption is the result.

The principle is simple: if the engine is not running, it cannot consume fuel. The Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine whenever it is not needed. In a traffic jam or in stop-and-go traffic, simply putting your BMW into neutral and taking your foot from the clutch will activate the function. "Start Stop" on the Info Display signals that the engine has been turned off.
To set off again, just put your BMW back into gear: the moment you depress the clutch, the engine immediately springs back to life and you can drive on without a moment's delay.
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.
The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.
Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
When used consistently, the Auto Start Stop function delivers significant reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Every time you end up at a red traffic light after your first 10 miles of the trip.
Also its there to stay, so dont expect any new cars from europe to not have that feature.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You do realize the M3 is not being discontinued, right? The 3 series has split where it previously had a sedan and coupe version both available ( 4dr vs 2dr respectively). Now they are keeping the 3 series as the 4 door sedan and came up with the 4 series as a more sport oriented 2dr version of the same. The new M3 will be released the same time as the M4 as a 2014 Model and they are built on the same platform.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/tag/2014-m3/

yeah the whole revamping of the line with the 4 series and choices they have made are a little boggling. Although the last model of the 3's had some of the dumbest changes I have ever seen. The engine shuts off when you are at a stop!
You can turn off this "feature" through the iDrive menu.

As mentioned, it was created not only for better gas mileage (Europe) but it keeps the consumption figures down for the whole range. This comes into play in certain regulations for corporate average fuel economy restrictions, etc.http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy