Buying a Hot Tub?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
OK, after getting a variety of interesting answers from family, friends, and Google, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any hot tub purchasing advice? Girl wants one for Christmas and I have a covered deck in my back yard. Looking at Litehouse and The Great Escape and it seems new the ones we like are about 6k out the door. I have a friend who is an electrician who'll hook it up.

Any tips?

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Buy one that also functions as a time machine. Might be more than 6k though.

But, on a more serious note - the chemical balance in these things is (or was) a complete bitch to balance and maintain. Had one for a few years back in 07/08ish. Looking back, should have just paid a pool-boy to come out once a week or something to make sure it was done correctly. Small amount of water in them, so over-dosing is pretty easy to do and then you have to put some other thing in to balance, etc etc.

Definitely look into what the pool/spa store recommends for a chemical treatment regimen, or get a pool boy.

It was nice to own, particularly initially, but didn't use it all that much to be fair over time - the first 6 months was all the time, but then even after workouts and whatnot, it just didn't get used much. So, really weigh how often you want to use it versus cost.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
However you decide to keep the water in it clean, make sure you actually do it. Do it right, do it often. Hot-tubs disease sucks.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Please consult the episode "Hot Water" of American Dad before using.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Make sure to get a hot tub that has an ozonator. They are the best. When you do get them, make sure you get these:

Amazon.com: Nature2 Spa Stick Mineral Sanitizer: Patio, Lawn Garden

They release chemicals over a 3 month period and only need a little bit of chlorine to activate. I would recommend you put a little chlorine and an enhanced shocker every weekend while cleaning the filters. Make sure to also shower before getting in the hottub.

Never buy chemicals at the spa places because they love gouging prices.

Amazon.com: Leisure Time 22337 Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules, 2-Pound: Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com: SpaGuard Enhanced Shock - 5 lb: Patio, Lawn Garden

(I clean my friends' hot tub and my partner's.)

Also, don't get one that is above 250 gallons if it's typically going to be just you two.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Check out Softub. They're bloody amazing. They need no special wiring, can be plugged into a standard outlet, and add very little to your electricity bill monthly. They're the best thing out there. You can relocate it simply, only takes a day to fully heat up, and blah blah blah. Just check them out. We have friends who have one, I'm thinking of getting one for us for Christmas. If you can find it used, the prices are fantastic, too.

Softub

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just smashed my girlfriends old one up today to get it out. She ordered one off home depot for 3500 (lifesmart coronado), supposed to be delivered curb side in about 2 weeks. I'm going to try to get 6 people together to move it into place and hook it up. I have 0 experience with these so i'll let you know.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I checked after i saw your post. Hot tubs are one thing i'll trust a gay on.

receive a FREE upgraded Super Energy Saving Value Package for All Lifesmart Home Depot Spas Includes Special Thick Locking Hard Cover, Full Foam Insulation, Ozone Water Treatment System, Upgraded Stainless Steel Jets & LED Color Lighting System

I think if i were personally going to get one it would have about 4 jets for 4 people, 1 pump heater ozone etc. I just know these LED lights/other bullshit will end up breaking and looking like hell in 2 years.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Lights are only useful if you go in there at night and you actually want to see the other person. Another thing I would recommend is find a hot tub with more than one filter. 2 is good, 3 is best. But, if you go for something like a 500 gallon (w t f...), the more filters the better.

Leisure makes some awesome products and they are hella cheap on Amazon if you have Prime. Calcium hardness, pH down and up, Foam Down, Enhanced Shock, as well as chlorine granules are always wise to have.

Every 3 months when you have to switch out the cartridge, I also recommend you super chlorinate your hot tub and drain it then refill it.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I have one on the back deck, plumbing is all out getting a rebuild at the moment though.

It is awesome, ours is just a round barrel with no seating and 4 jets. ?1500mm x 1500mm deep, good for 13 people so far.
I would never get one that has seats built in, I would rather float around than be stuck in one spot.

Like the other guys said, be on top of the chems.
I disagree with the air though, in winter it will blow cold air into the tub.
But people are happier with their gear off when the bubbles are on.

Get a really good cover for it to keep the heat in when you are not using it, this will save time heating and powering it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never buy something you plan on sitting naked in off of craigslist.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the tips. I bought one from litehouse and got what I hope was a decent deal, on one with ozone.

Then came the part I didn't include in my budget.. 700 bucks for an electrician to do the line work... Dang...About twice what I thought it'd be.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My hot tub was the worst purchase I have ever made. The fucker will just sit there for 3 months un-used, and still find a way to break itself to the tune of $800. Heater goes out. Circuit board goes out. Motor goes out. Blows a breaker... I have spent more on repairs now than I did on the original purchase price.

I am seriously considering draining the water, filling it up with gasoline, and flipping a match into the bowl. I would at least like to get some satisfaction out of it's demise. I hate my fucking hot tub.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
So hot tubs are more or less like boats I've learned. Very enjoyable for your friends. Most hated item on earth for you.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
All the people I know with hot tubs, got them, used them vigorously for like one season and then they just sit there unused for years until they decide to break them apart and throw them out because they take up valuable deck/yard space.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
All the people I know with hot tubs, got them, used them vigorously for like one season and then they just sit there unused for years until they decide to break them apart and throw them out because they take up valuable deck/yard space.
I really hope that's not the case, but I've heard similar stories. I live in Ohio, though, and every time I hit a water park with my kids most of what I do is sit in the Hot Tub. I'm hoping to get quite a bit of use out of mine.

On a different note, does anyone have a good FAQ or link for chemicals for Hot Tubs? I've read a bunch of stuff and I'm not exactly sure whats the best and most cost effective way of going about this. How much of this chemical stuff is crap, and what's really needed?