Camelot Unchained MMO

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Did you try asking CSE support? I asked them about updating my Founders Tier to a level that gets alpha (outside the 1K min levels they have listed now) and they told me that in the next few months they'll be opening more tiers to move up from.
I believe they are unveiling their store today, so you may be able to do that once they do.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
BSC
interesting. not sure if there are further (class) stat/skill restrictions. nonethless, i prefer this concept over pathfinder's (times yields xp to be used as currency which you can spend on anything). hopefully there isnt class swapping.
attenuate skillxp gain exponentially per day to combat macroing and an unrestricted rest bonus xp gain rate for those to catch up.
They also have the banes & boons system to compliment this. I'm anxious to hear what their plans are for the magic system.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I cannot back this game until I see some stock assets.

Isn't that the new thing these days?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
So is this gonna be any good or what?
Don't know yet. The engine testing has been going very well and the "on paper" stuff sounds great but since it hasn't come to fruition it's difficult to say. Cautiously optimistic would be accurate for myself but then again I've been hopeful since it was announced so I'm sure I am coming off as biased.

On a sidenote, they just announced a partnership with Nvidia which is a pretty good deal for City State.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So is this gonna be any good or what?
The only thing you have to ask yourself is whether or not Mark Jacobs can make an MMO that you will enjoy. I've been very skeptical of this game from the beginning. pyksel is the exact opposite of me.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Mark Jacobs
frown.png

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
City State has quite a few talented artists and coders from what we've seen thus far so I don't think I agree with Draegan's statement that you should solely base this on whether you think Jacobs and Jacobs alone can put out a good MMO. Draegan is to Mark Jacobs as a less crazy version of Utnayan is to Zenimax.

If you're really that interested, they are streaming this entire week calling it the BSC days (bat shit crazy) where they talk about the design docs and plans moving forward, q&a, etc.

Say what you will about Jacobs but City State have done a great job at the kickstarter, constant communication/interaction with their backers and the stuff we've seen thus far is decent. Stuff being design docs, in game models, concept art, play testing the engine, etc.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I never said they didn't have talented people working at the Studio, but in the end its Mark Jacobs driving the design philosophy of the game and to me that is all the matters. Comparing me to Ut is a bit over the top don't you think?

Vitality

HUSTLE
City State has quite a few talented artists and coders from what we've seen thus far so I don't think I agree with Draegan's statement that you should solely base this on whether you think Jacobs and Jacobs alone can put out a good MMO. Draegan is to Mark Jacobs as a less crazy version of Utnayan is to Zenimax.

If you're really that interested, they are streaming this entire week calling it the BSC days (bat shit crazy) where they talk about the design docs and plans moving forward, q&a, etc.

Say what you will about Jacobs but City State have done a great job at the kickstarter, constant communication/interaction with their backers and the stuff we've seen thus far is decent. Stuff being design docs, in game models, concept art, play testing the engine, etc.
Idk buddy, ESO was a prime example of a couple Upper Management bros thowing the Choke Slam on talent.

Is Draegan justified in thinking Jacobs may do that with this game? I sure hope not.

edit: Not that the two are related all that much.
edit 2: Warhammer tho.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I never said they didn't have talented people working at the Studio, but in the end its Mark Jacobs driving the design philosophy of the game and to me that is all the matters. Comparing me to Ut is a bit over the top don't you think?
Mark has a shit ton of help driving the design of this game. It's most definitely not just him. He has some core philosophies that he's trying to stick to and he's been very vocal and upfront about them. I don't see where the issue is because from what we've seen thus far they haven't deviated much from those.

I know you never played DAOC and your last interview with him left a continued bad taste in your mouth. Not faulting you for those things at all but it is definitely not just Mark's head on the line if this fails and it looks like he is actually listening to not only the feedback from the backers but of his staff too.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Idk buddy, ESO was a prime example of a couple Upper Management bros thowing the Choke Slam on talent.

Is Draegan justified in thinking Jacobs may do that with this game? I sure hope not.

edit: Not that the two are related all that much.
edit 2: Warhammer tho.
I think the biggest differences now are the approach through kickstarter which opens the door on visibility and the early interaction with the backers. Something WAR and TESO did not have during beta in that neither listened to their testers. Mark was behind a desk and rarely interacted with the community. He left that up to the hype train Paul Barnett and Jeff Hickmann which was a bad idea. Mark has been at the front of most of the streams and involved in the Q&A sessions but again he's leaving the talent alone to do what they need to do.

If you don't follow the streams or the CU forums then I understand the hesitation because it's Mark but if this project was not put through kickstarter and didn't have the visibility, I would be equally as skeptical.

Blackwulf

N00b
I really disliked how much unadulterated lying the WAR team put out through the mouth piece of Paul Barnett. You know MJ had to be aware of that fucking used car salesman's bullshit. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, just because I like the way it sounds and... DAOC. Of course I'm still cutting Matt Firor (ESO) slack cause.... DAOC.

I'm pretty forgiving toward guys that gave us DAOC.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Gameplay is sposed to be up pretty soon, wish they'd stop playing this stupid flash game and show us some camelot

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Magic System info

*formatting is pretty shitty so may just want to go to the link*
About The Magic System

Guiding Principles
Put the magic back into an MMORPG's magic system
Magic in the vast majority of MMORPGs requires very little thought or effort by the players
Spells are handed to the player, with very limited control or customization by players

Create a system through which players can have a great degree of customization and control of their magical abilities
Adding a degree of unpredictability to your opponent's abilities in RvR adds to the challenge

Reintroduce the concept of the spellbook, an important part of many PnP games, as well as lore and literature surrounding mages
Another possible area for customization by the player
Adds additional immersion to the game

Magic system must be fun, and not tedious to use in RvR
Any system must stand the strain and stress of high-end RvR combat: it must not take three hands to use
It cannot just be a "button mashing" system, or we are wasting our time

Core System
Magic spells are created by the player (not by the studio), by combining Runes and other components such as reagents
Back in the 1980s, Mark Jacobs created a magic system for his MUD Dragon's Gate, which allowed mages to build spells by putting together elements, shapes, and sizes
Here, runes can represent all of that and so much more

Runes represent specific magical forces, which may interact with one another in complimentary enemy use
Core elements of fire, water, etc. are of course present, but each magic-using class has specialized Runes as well, to prevent class mirroring

The combination of Runes to create magical interactions may take place during the spell creation process, or when multiple magic spells affect one another in combat
Runes form the "core" spell, but players also have a wide range of other components that they can add to the spell, in order to customize their magic even further

All mages are given a spellbook in which to inscribe their spells
Spellbooks can level with the player, as the runes and the player's skill increases as well
A spellbook also acts as an "achievement" system, where it records failures, successes, combinations of runes, etc.

Magic spells, once cast, can become the equivalent of objects on the battlefield
They can interact with players, NPCs, and other spells
Spell-to-spell interaction can lead to a wide range of outcomes such as cancellations, enhancements, and transformations

Spellbook
The spellbook tracks charges, usage, successes, and failures of inscribed spells
Spellbooks level up with the player, gain more power, and *possibly* achieve sentience (Stretch Goal)

Creating new spells and inscribing them into a spellbook is dangerous, and may fail catastrophically
Players may name their custom spells in their spellbook, and use these names in the game
Players may show their spellbook to others, and share spells they have created
Spells inscribed in spellbooks must be charged before they can be used
Spellbooks have a maximum capacity of spell charges they can hold
Spell charges are drained from the spellbook when the spell is cast
Spellbooks become easier to recharge over time with use, and can be upgraded or replaced to hold more charges

Magic Use
Spells can be cast multiple ways
Through use of a spellbook or charged item
Potentially "live" building of spells during combat

Spells always have a chance to critically succeed or fail
Spellcasting result is modified based on proficiency with the components used
Spellcasting result can also be modified by external factors, such as interrupts and buffs/debuffs on the player, as well as player stats such as Panic Rating

When casting, spells can be held for a brief time before being released
Casting too many spells in an area may cause Veilstorms to appear
Major Veilstorms (such as a Malevolence) are rare, but smaller ones are common in areas of intense fighting
Small Veilstorms have varying effects on magic used in the area

Spells can use components infused with reagents (which may be difficult to find in the world), in order to enhance their effects
Many outside factors can affect the casting of spells, such as:
Various ley lines throughout the world
Weather
Seasons
Day/night

A.I.R.
A.I.R. - Action, Interaction, and Reaction is the heart of the magic system
Each spell cast can interact with everything in the world, and change based on that interaction
Spells can be reinforced by other players
Multiple mages with ice spells use magic to keep an Ice Wall up around a town
Spells can be weakened by other players
Enemy mages can weaken an Ice Wall by throwing fire-based spells or other runes that oppose Ice
Spells can be transformed by other spells
An Ice Wall can be transformed by fire spells, which might result in it becoming Steam. That Steam can then be blown by Wind mages to harm other players

A.I.R. helps transform the battlefield from an exercise in button-mashing to a more complicated and challenging place
Skilled players, groups, etc. are rewarded for playing as a team
The outcome of battles is less predictable and different builds of mages might be useful at different times
May reduce the "must-have" mage builds during sieges and small-scale battles

Some examples:
Water + Frost = Ice
Water + Frost + Storm = Ice Storm
Ice Storm + Wind = Amplified Ice Storm
Fire + Wind = Fire Blast
Fire + Water + Wall + Wind = Moving Steam Cloud

Spells + additional power can modify results
Added duration, range, etc.

Spells + additional reagents can also modify the spell
Ice Storm + Diamond Infusion = Increased damage of the spell
Ice Storm + Nightshade = Poison effect added to spell
Spells are modified based on type such as Fire Blast + Water Wall = Steam Cloud

Spell interactions have different outcomes based on ally or enemy use
Wind Blast + Ally Fire Ball = Fire Ball Speed and Damage increase
Wind Blast + Enemy Fire Ball = Deflect Fire Ball

Summary
The magic system of Camelot Unchained is unique to the world of MMORPGs, not in its core concept but rather, in the expression of that concept
Degree of customization of spells unmatched in MMORPGs
Interaction of spells on the battlefield take RvR to the next level
Use and growth of spellbook adds level of immersion and customization

Geared to players who want to have more control over their characters, and are willing to spend time experimenting with spells and combinations
Requires players to spend more time talking, reacting, and working as a team during sieges, not just mashing buttons as fast as they can
A.I.R. system is not only fun, but adds more immersion to the world, while increasing player cooperation and Realm bonding

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Do you possess an irrational hatred of Jacobs so bad that you will start pleading with people to not play the game? If No then the comparison was over the top.

I'm a big fan of the mythology DAOC and CU are based on so hopefully this game is more similar to DAOC than Warhammer (which IMO failed because it wasn't 3 way RVR). Too many people enjoyed playing Chaos and there was always a population imbalance.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Do you possess an irrational hatred of Jacobs so bad that you will start pleading with people to not play the game? If No then the comparison was over the top.

I'm a big fan of the mythology DAOC and CU are based on so hopefully this game is more similar to DAOC than Warhammer (which IMO failed because it wasn't 3 way RVR). Too many people enjoyed playing Chaos and there was always a population imbalance.
Considering how many people I know who've worked for Jacobs, and said they'd never work for him again even if it meant sleeping on the street.. Yeah.. I'll wait on this one until I see it for real.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .

It was more of a tongue-in-cheek poke at Draegan simply because any time this thread comes around he has to take a shot at Jacobs which is understandable. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I don't actually think he could approach UT levels of crazy.