Camelot Unchained MMO

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I checked out a few of the design docs on the CU website. Liked the idea of a MMO having an old-school, complex RPG stat system. Seems like most MMOs nowadays dumb the RPG system down to only having a couple stats that matter. I assume they do this to make class balancing and itemization easier. Assuming CU can pull it off, it will be nice having the flexibility to design your character to support however you want to play it.

The design docs I read gave me the impression there would be no PVE raids and very little questing. Gameplay revolves around RVR, a Darkness Falls-like dungeon and crafting. That scratches the itch for a lot of PVPers but I'm curious to know what PVE gameplay is like for levelling up and whether there are any private instanced PVE dungeons for groups. What will you be doing when you aren't RVRing?

Lastly, when is a realistic expectation for when this game will be released? Sometime in 2016 or later?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
They just live streamed an announcement about filling the outstanding two senior programmer positions so it will hopefully be sooner than later and will be discussing class information on a live stream next week. I think sometimes 2016 is still a realistic goal barring any major setbacks.

Volt

Molten Core Raider
There will be multiple spec's per usual. The abbot looks like they rolled the heretic and the friar into one class.

Maric

N00b
Latest build is looking good. CSE just needs to nail down animations and this game is going to be playing at another level.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Forgive my ignorance, but is there an option on the Kickstarter that I can pledge for now to buy into the ongoing alpha/beta?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Haven't really been paying attention to this game, but I ended up sorta stumbling across their website and doing a read-through, and damn, they've got some nice ideas there. The classes listed so far look interesting, and God, I want to do nasty things to the magic system they describe. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I realize that other teams do not have the same luxury that Blizzard has in the "when it's ready" aspect... but holy fuck -- releasing stuff like this to the public can't be good for a game. Nothing in anything I've seen makes me give a shit about this product except think that they've already failed.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I agree that it's probably not great for the game but honestly it's good to see something happening. Too many games show little to nothing right now. No reason EQNext and even Pantheon shouldn't make a better effort to share their progress.

Debase

N00b
Judging games by anything but the finished product is silly.Camelotfocused on systems over aesthetics, so its going to look horrible at this stage, but being able to have active combat between 3000+ bots and players with changing appearances without it looking like a slideshow is a good step in the right direction. I have no clue whether this thing is going to be any good. Frankly, given the state of MMOs and RvR games right now, it would be silly toexpectit to be good, but regardless, I certainly am not going to make some final judgement based upon an Alpha playtest.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm not making final judgements, of course if the game releases in a great state then that's a win for the customer. I'm just commenting on how I can't think of any examples of games that publish content in the "wtf is this shit" stage and then go on to release a hit.